Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds invites : How many who etc.

annisarich

With some of the flaming about How many invites certain areas get.
How easy it is for US Players to get to the grinder etc.
I thought some info would be interesting to look at.

IMHO some European and other Non North American Players are un aware of how large the US is.
Some info is included. Many americans have traveled as much as many Europeans in their lives and have never left the USA. A similar Traveled European would be an "international traveler" LOL

Number of players receiving invites.

Some comparative info on Population and a quick skim through the POP website provided the other info.
Not every country was noted just a sample.

After work we can look at the percentages of players actually at the worlds event this year.
Info was taken from the CIA Worl Factbook web site , the Pokemon OP Website and Mapquest.com

Travel comparisons:
Detroit to Anaheim Ca 2300 mi (3700 km)
Madrid to Berlin 1400 mi (2253km)
Madrid to Stockholm 2000 mi (3218km)

Country Size Comparisons:
Netherlands
Area total: 41,526 sq km
Area - comparative: slightly less than twice the size of New Jersey
Population: 16,491,461 (July 2006 est.)

Italy
Area Total: 301,230 sq km
Area - comparative: slightly larger than Arizona
Population: 58,133,509 (July 2006 est.)

United States
Area Total: 9,631,420 sq km
Area - comparative: about half the size of Russia; about three-tenths the size of Africa; about half the size of South America (or slightly larger than Brazil); slightly larger than China; almost two and a half times the size of the European Union
Population: 300,000,000

Japan
Area Total : 377,835 sq km
Area - comparative: slightly smaller than California
Population: 127,463,611 (July 2006 est.)

PLAYER BASE
POP Web Site (note POP does not include Japan)
TOTAL Registered players in Ranking system 4558
(search Rankings, constructed modified, All Ages , Global)

Comparison of National Player Base
USA 2439 54%
Canada 152 03%
Mexico 464 10%
North American Participation : 3055 = 67%

Sample of other nations participation (outside NA - 33%)
Italy 99 2%
Czech Rep. 13 0.2%
France 41 0.9%
Australia 92 2%
New Zealand 20 .4%

Keep the discussion positive. Spin the numbers. Add your own. Dont get personal. :biggrin: :eek: :rolleyes: :clap:

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

US Players vs Others
(a quick count and all non marked players included as US)

15+ 64 / 146 = 44%
11-14 70 / 129 = 54%
10- 69 / 108 = 63%
TOTAL 203/383 = 53%

Last edited:
I think we all understand that the USA has the highest population of players in a nation. But look at the invites given out. This year, the USA gave out 180-ish invites. The most any other country in the world got (through PUI) was 12. That is 15 times as many invites as any other country in the world (through PUI). Japan got 30-ish invites, but PUI didn't give them the invites. It's fair that the USA gets more invites than any other country IMHO, but is it fair for the USA to get 15 times the number invites of any other country?

It looks like the US has 15 times the number of players.
So maybe it is fair?
Maybe there should be something more like Gyms in Europe instead of Nationals as qualifers. Seems their Nationals are more equal to our states.

Italy: 4 invites per age category.

given the cost of airplane's ticket it's just 1 invite (the one with the trip included).

so only First of national can go to world.

annisarich said:
It looks like the US has 15 times the number of players.

That can't possibly be right. Let's compare two country's nationals attendance.

The US Nationals 2006 had 527 players in attendance.
The Norweigen Nationals 2006 had 151 players in attendance.

The US nationals had 3.49x the amount of players as the Norweigen Nationals. How many invites does Norway get? 12

If you give me the excuse, "Well not all the players in the USA went to Nationals...", I can throw right back at you, "Well not all the players in Norway went to Nationals."

The numbers don't make sense.

The numbers I got are from PUI's Pages.
I assume there are some players from the US and other places who are not registered in my pokemon accounts.
So the numbers may be off. I know that less than 1/2 my players have registered. (its a pain to manualy enter them every season :) )
(I think players must particiapte and register on POP site to be eligible to win worlds trips etc.)

Thats where I got the numbers.

We have 54% of the player base and only 44% of the invites, HOW IS THAT FAIR!?

A country like Czech or France can have <1% of the player base and get 2+% of the invites? How do they deserve that many?

That's SO unfair, it's not even funny.

Take a look at 15+ guys. How many americans in t8? 6. How many Japanese? 2. How many else? 0. The rest of the world not only has fewer players, but they have lesser skilled players. Americans get the short end of the stick. We have MUCH better players, MANY more players, and the LEAST invites.

USA took 56% of the top32 in 15+ at worlds. We only had 44% of the invite base though, showing that proportionally our players are more skilled than other players. Our players only proportionally placed better as the tournament progressed, with the 75% t8 and t4 representation, and 100% of the finalists being from the USA.

Last edited:
Usa national was open.
European nationals were not.

Ryanvergel: that's true in fact 10-, 11-14 champions are usa too!

Ryan, look at what your saying? The USA makes up a large portion of the top cuts. DUH! 148 USA players could not make the top cut, and the top 32 could still be 100% USA players. The USA has the PURE NUMBER advantage at Worlds. For every norweigen, there are 15 americans. For every japanese, there are 6 americans. Anyone would bet that the USA would last longer and be the largest population throughout the tournament.

The USA players have EVERYTHING going for them. Home turf, their format and rules, 15 times the number of players compared to any other country in the world (minus Japan).

And to think, ONLY 56% of the top32 was americans. That obviously speaks for itself. It shows that there are many skilled players in the rest of the world. How the 11-14 and the 10- were both won by non-americans is also a testiment of that.

The americans are going to be the best bet to win every year or they either run into HORRIBLE luck or bad matchups all day. That's the bottom line. And part of it might be because of the skill of those players, but I like to believe that a large portion of that is because of all the advantages the USA players have.

Back to what I said earlier, can you possibly say that the USA deserves 180-ish invites? Our nationals only had 3.5 times the amount of players than the Norweigen Nationals, and yet, Norway only gets to send 12 players to Worlds. Maybe it would be more fair if the USA only got to send 3.5 times that amount of players. Maybe it would be more fair if the USA only got to send 42 players. Maybe....

Way to ignore the entire west coast, which most of them couldn't make it to nats. The location of nationals AND the size of the venue BOTH limit the amount of US players at nats. I doubt anyone lacked access to the Norwegian (not Norweigen as you claim) nats, as USA is way more bigger than Norway.

US had 44% of the invites, and the remaining 56% rest-of-world couldn't even get a majority on top32? 10- and 11-14 are not legit arguments, they're simply nowhere near as competitive as 15+.

Its easier to get all Norways player base to nationals there.
Nobody there needs to travel 3000km to play there.
Its Very Hard for the US Players to get to Nationals.

The US has 54%ish of the players, and 54%ish of the invites, that seems really fair.
Prime, a much higher % of Norway will compete at their nats than at US. Just think how far away so many parts of the US are to nationals. No possible distance in Norway would come close to equaling, Seattle or Cali or Florida, or Texas etc. to Ohio for nationals.
The only thing to blame for the perceived unfairness of the situation is 54% of the players fall under one title while groups of 2% of the players fall in other titles. That's the only trick telling you the situation is unfair. You acknowledge this too, that the US should have the most invites but not THIS many more. However, annisarich's numbers give pretty good evidence that the difference of US total players to other countries IS big enough to warrant the gap in numbers we see.
Based on these numbers, the current system actually looks pretty fair to each individual player across the world. The only problem is half of them fall under one title, far more than any other title. From a team perspective this is unfair, from an individual perspective, it is not.
If the US invites are cut as drastically as I've heard rumored, the US will be BY FAR the hardest country for an individual player to qualify in. Right now, it seems pretty even.

Okay, I guess I am starting to understand what's going on. The USA is larger than most of the countries that get 12 invites and because the USA has a larger (total) player base than all the other countries, they get more invites. I guess that makes sense. It's just, when I look at Worlds, and I see around half of the players USA players, I kind of feel that it's not fair to those countries that can only send 12 people to Worlds and where sometimes only 3 of those trips are paid for.

But still, my arguement on the USA having the most advantages does stand. I think it'd be hard for them not to win every year with all the advantages + the skill of the USA players.

It's not a country vs country game though in reality, we just make it that way. It's really a 150ish individual championship. When we have a Ryder Cup format, then you can argue the numbers.

Less than half were US players, even with the playerbase of 56%.

How is it any more fair to take even more invites from US players because other countries lack players? If there are 50 players in country A, 20 in country B, and 10 in countries C, D, and E, and there are 10 invites total; country A would get 5 invites, B 2, and C, D, and E would get 1. Taking slots away from A just because C, D, and E only have 1 person represent them is ludicrously unfair to country A, and to those 50 players.

MonsterOfTheLake said:
Less than half were US players, even with the playerbase of 56%.

How is it any more fair to take even more invites from US players because other countries lack players? If there are 50 players in country A, 20 in country B, and 10 in countries C, D, and E, and there are 10 invites total; country A would get 5 invites, B 2, and C, D, and E would get 1. Taking slots away from A just because C, D, and E only have 1 person represent them is ludicrously unfair to country A, and to those 50 players.

QFT.
You should not penalize the largest player base; you should reward them.
The USA is being punished for being the best, and I see no reason for it.

We have the biggest player base, and a disproportional invites- the BEST players, and we get screwed over.

Yeah, Prime, here is a rough breakdown:
we have 44% of the players at worlds in 15+ but we controlled 56% of the t32. That shows that although the "non-US" population had a LARGER base, they had LESS in the top 32, at only 44%(which is the same percentage of how many we had at worlds). This shows that the US is proportionally more able to put players into the t32, not because of player size (we had 44% vs 56% non-US) but because of skill (look at the t8, 6/8 were US.)

If we don't count Japan, then Europe is virtually unseen in the 15+ cuts.
Past t8 they are non-existent.

19/32 t32 59%
10/16 t16 63%
6/8 t8 75%
3/4 t4 75%
2/2 t2 100%

As the rounds progressed, the US players continued to do better and better.

Last edited:
I hate to say this, but this is not the OLYMPICS, where there is a committee made up of every country participating. This is a BUSINESS. You can argue the fairness of invites, and whatnot, but don't forget that the company will do what they need to do to MAKE MORE MONEY.

Back