Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds Prize Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaJoner

Ok, for all of you who are going to be like this, I'm not a "greedy gamer" or someone who likes to "clean house" and take prizes away from little kids. I have never won one single Pokemon tournament EVER, anyways. I'm just a little annoyed with the worlds prizes. I just want you to understand that I am NOT complaining, I am NOT unhappy, I am just making suggestions for a better prize structure.

First of all, the Scholarship Awards. Here's the site for info on them:

http://op.pokemon-tcg.com/events/faqs/scholarship.asp

I have just read the information about scholarships on op.pokemon-tcg.com, and I didn't know how to feel when I saw that the scholarships are non-transferable. Does that mean you cannot pass them down? If you're 50 and you win worlds, then what?

I think that the Scholarship money, as good as it is, should turn into actual cash. If Pokemon claims to be giving the money to charity if the scholarships go unused ANYWAYS, then I don't see what's the difference between giving people cash. Cash is obviously useful, and you can actually USE it if you're over 28 years of age. I don't mean cold cash obviously, just a cheque to the person's name or something. Maybe make it a few hundred dollars less than the scholarship awards, but I think that cash is a great bonus, especially considering how much money most of us have put into the Pokemon TCG.

Amount of Cards

Ok, again, I'm not complaining, I KNOW I won $3500, and that's rare, but just listen to this argument.

The person who got SECOND at the US NATIONALS got more packs of cards than I did getting fourth at WORLDS. I think that's just KIND of flawed. And even not just for me, the people who top 16'd got 18 packs. EIGHTEEN PACKS? For top 16ing in the WORLD? That is ridiculous to me. They should AT LEAST get a box, if not more.

Also, the winners of the CITY CHAMPIONSHIPS get a box, which is equal to the amount of cards I won. How many City Championships were there in the US? I'm guessing 100, but I may be wrong. Apparently coming fourth in the world is as easy a winning a City Championship.

Sportsmanship Awards

Some people who got randomly chosen, or in some cases specifically chosen. These people won more cards than me and all the other people below me who top 16d. They won a box for a year, which is huge. I got one box of FRLG.

Other than that, the prizes were pretty cool. Understand, I am NOT complaining, I am still very happy with the prizes I won, but I just think Nintendo should do something better for next year's tourney.

You also got a competitor package that has been selling for $100+ and couple of cards, one of which is currently going for more that $500 on eBay...

Well, I think you guys seem to be overlooking the point of Joner's topic.

Scholarships and money prizes are a relatively equal prize, yet money just has SOOOO much more versatility. You can put it in the bank and watch it appreciate value, you can put it in the stock market, potentially doubling what you make, or you could just blow it all on more cards. There are so many possibilities with $$$, but only one with a scholarship. Worlds competitors who T16 and above deserve the right to do more with this money won.

When it comes to packs, worlds competitors who get that far are getting the bulk of their prize in that hefty scholarship, so that's perfectly fine if they're denied a few packs. Likewise, GC winners could live with zero packs for their placing, because they won TRIPS! The packs that could be given to T16'ers could have instead been handed down to the T32'ers.

But IMO, the prize structure was solid and fair for the level event this was!

The only thing I didnt like was the shaft that top 32 got. 9 Boosters just doesnt cut it when the guy that beats you has $1000.

Note: I didn't comment on whether the prizes (money or product) were enough or not.
I just pointed out some components that need to be factored in.

The "passing down" of scholarships is one issue I would like to see addressed.

Either allow the transfer of scholarships or make a 28+ division that has a different prize structure.

I didn't win a trip. I didn't get hotel paid for. I have never won ONE single Pokemon event in my LIFE ;/. And also, what makes you think we are going to sell those things that we won Pokepop? They have a lot of sentimental value. Yeah, but my main point here is the money =/.

Hey Joner... I wouldn't Complain... If you went to Gencon For Pokemon and then expected to have a good time you were Happily Disappointed Gencon Was Horrible...So i wouldnt complain about Worlds...Let me say this... Everyone who had booked trips months in advance were messed over when PUI told us a week and half in advance and that they were change the prize structure...And let me tell there were like no prize support... You came in first...Well there is no Mudkip, Treecko, Torchic...How About a league at gencon...There was none....So be happy with you got... I was really frustrated at gencon with what i got... I paid over 1000 to go to gencon and have fun and won around 1 box in 6 tournaments... b/c the prize support was horrible... i was 1 in one and 2nd in two...
Drew

IMO, they should make scholarships transferable. If you have children and come in first, all that money doesn't have to go to waste.

Plus, we get people who come to the tournament who are dedicated to win for other people. "I must win the scholarship money so young Bob can go to college and be the first in our family." :lol: Kinda like Joey Weeler (sp?) trying to win the prize money in YGO so that his sister could get her operation.

I don't think Joner is complaining at all. He is making valid points that should be addressed.

---sniper---

My GUESS is that if an adult without children to pass the scholarship on to won that PUI would manage to work something out with them...but that this would not be addressed until/if/when that situation arises.

I'd also dare to GUESS that the reason the prize is a scholarship rather than cash has to do with legalities regarding this being a game targeted primarily towards children; awarding minors cash would run into tax liabilities, the necessity of the money being held 'in trust', problems regarding who holds the money in trust if there is shared/acrimonious custody of the child, etc etc etc. I'd guess it would be a real headache all around, especially as legalities vary from state to state and country to country.

I think it would be safe to assume that PUI's legal team and/or TPC decided that this would be the best way to go...especially when one considers the 'sportsmanship issues' inherent in something like M:tG's Pro Tour, where large amounts of money are at stake.

There's a saying..."don't look a gift horse in the mouth"...that seems appropriate here; doesn't anyone remember OP under WotC anymore? No 15+, no 'big prizes', anyone? =/

JMHO,
'mom

Last edited:
I'd like to point out (not the first to do so) that GJ is not complaining, just opening a discussion. I'd be just about willing to bet that the prizes were scholarships because tax and interest loop holes. The non-transferable part is a little disturbing. It hadn't occurred to me about the amount of card prize differentials. I'm wondering if this was the beginning of the prize restructuring.

Last edited:
I think the Scholarship was a great idea Im only 25 and any of the scholarships would help me finish to get my degree

Well I have to see how those sholarships are going to be worked out.
I didn't hear anything about it after worlds.
When we win a prize in our country we have to pay 25% tax over it, so than there will be only $750 over of the prize my son won (still a lot of money). Or if they will add as being our income (even if we can't touch it) and we have to pay %42 tax.(the kid is a minor so every cash he has is charged like being the parents "fortune")

Sholarships are not always good if you have to bring them out of the country of origin.
I think it's going to cause more problems than they realized.

i raised this point in another post, i DO feel the prizes at worlds were not suffecent enough

YES some got trips
YES we got that "hi how ya doing, heres some cards...GOOD luck!" package when we got there

BUT ALL THIS NEEDS TO BE KEPT SEPERATE FROM THE PRIZE SUPPORT!!!! CAUSE THESE ARE NOT NOT NOT PRIZES LOL

i do belive that everone should have gotten a box for entering the torney, i mean for god sakes its the WORLDS....when you give something a title like WOLRDS...you expect the prize support to be alittle better.....Magic anyone??

if nintendo really wants this game to get publicity then they will have to make the potential bigger I.E better prizes

imho the prizes (for product) should have looked like this

1st-2cases (1 FRLG, 1 assorted)
2nd-1case (4FRLF, 2 assorted)
3rd- 1 case (3 FRLG, 3 assorted)
4th- same product as third, diffrent scholorship obvously

5-8th half a case
9-16th 4 boxes
17-32th 2boxes

everone gets one box just for entering.....i am REALLY firm on this point (this is also in addtion to what you can win at one of the top32 places) i mean, a person could have gone to one of those "small attendence" prerelases and gotten a BOX!!!! which is more that top 8 at a WORLD competion got?

alittle unfair

and b4 you say "you expect to much, be happy with what you got" well, i AM happy. I loved the experience and i loved how well i did......but i DO feel for others

prizes NEED to be seperate from stuff that adds to the EXPERIENCE
:D :D

Last edited:
Yek, I don't think prizes are needed at all.
You didn't pay a single coin to enter Worlds, got nice stuff and that should be enough.
Meaby some boosters, but more is not even needed.

I hate the bigger, bigger, bigger, more more more attitude.

It was enough and those who don't think so, stay away.
Or let Worlds be happening in Europe were 99% of the players never ever get a change to even smell on it.

GodTrainer said:
i raised this point in another post, i DO feel the prizes at worlds were not suffecent enough

YES some got trips
YES we got that "hi how ya doing, heres some cards...GOOD luck!" package when we got there

BUT ALL THIS NEEDS TO BE KEPT SEPERATE FROM THE PRIZE SUPPORT!!!! CAUSE THESE ARE NOT NOT NOT PRIZES LOL

i do belive that everone should have gotten a box for entering the torney, i mean for god sakes its the WORLDS....when you give something a title like WOLRDS...you expect the prize support to be alittle better.....Magic anyone??

if nintendo really wants this game to get publicity then they will have to make the potential bigger I.E better prizes

imho the prizes (for product) should have looked like this

1st-2cases (1 FRLG, 1 assorted)
2nd-1case (4FRLF, 2 assorted)
3rd- 1 case (3 FRLG, 3 assorted)
4th- same product as third, diffrent scholorship obvously

5-8th half a case
9-16th 4 boxes
17-32th 2boxes

everone gets one box just for entering.....i am REALLY firm on this point (this is also in addtion to what you can win at one of the top32 places) i mean, a person could have gone to one of those "small attendence" prerelases and gotten a BOX!!!! which is more that top 8 at a WORLD competion got?

alittle unfair

and b4 you say "you expect to much, be happy with what you got" well, i AM happy. I loved the experience and i loved how well i did......but i DO feel for others

prizes NEED to be seperate from stuff that adds to the EXPERIENCE
:D :D
I agree with the point of needing more prizes, but your proposal is quite overdoing t in my opinion. 2 CASES?

GrandmaJoner, In a sense, you are right, it does seem the prize progression was a little off. Perhaps the lower end of the spectrum (the city championships, and gym challenges) should have got less prize support than they did to make up for the seemingly lower prizes given out at worlds (which in my eyes are in no way lower, I thought the prizes were great and would loved to have been there), but I don't think either you or I would begrudge those persons their booty. OP does cost a lot of money though, and those that managed to get there to worlds, or who were flown in, are participants "who are hooked". I believe that even if they were giving out half the prizes they did, they still would have the same number of participants. I realize you aren't complaining, and I know that money would have been more preferable to some, but I think in this instance we should be happy with what was accomplished. Many people benefitted from worlds, but many, many more never even had the chance to do so. I'm sure PUI will have thought this year's tournaments though very carefully, and will have a plan in place for next year's tournaments. Have faith that they want the game to grow and prosper, and if they keep the same prize structure throughout this coming year's tournaments, there is a very good reason for them to do so. The thing is, do we really need to know why it's like it is? I don't think so. Can't we just be content with what we get when we get it? No one likes inequalities, but perhaps we should pay less attention to what is given to others, to keep content with what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back