Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds Report: March of the Penguins (Complete)

Bobby

I finally decided to write up this report, partly out of boredom, lol. I had been testing for saturday for like two months and going over various options but still had reached no decision on a deck. Here's the report...

Friday-

Wake up at 4 AM, drive the hour and a half to Ft. Myers, go through security, wit around, and finally board the plane at like 6:30 or something. The flight to atlanta was nice... until we got there. My headphones broke AGAIN, and no one at the airport sells them for less than like $60, so I'm stuck without music. Fun. Ride to San Diego is four hours, i buy the $2 headphones, which proceed to break. Yucky ;x

At the hotel, I register, and playtest tons. BT and me and some other random people such as miranda and one of BTs friends open like a box in total of random foreign packs. Hooray for Zershmettnder Eisburg!

At around midnight, I am still undecided on a deck... I stick around to watch the grinder. Ryan is 4-0 and about to play in, and guess what? Acid Liability'd ;x ;x ;x So I hear about this deck, T2 dark steelix, it looks good, so he lets me borrow the deck for tomorrow. Time for bed.

Saturday-

Register the deck. I have to resleeve twice, rofl ;x thats pretty much it before the matches, lots of people get left off the list, so there's a delay, and then we battle.

Round 1 VS. Taylor M. (Mirror)

Dark Steelix mirror?! This outta be fun. I pretty much get the best lookin hand I've ever seen in my life, she... doesn't. I get the steelix pounding T2, she gets it about a turn later but has an energy crisis. Potion takes care of the damage from her Energy Connect, and she can't pull out a fighting energy. I win fairly quickly.

Win 1-0

Round 2 VS. Forgot your name (Raichu/Grumpig or something)

This match might be in the wrong place, I don't remember that well. But anyway, this game was... weird. He starts with a Pikachu and I'm like o_O but he gets heads on agility like 3 times in a row. Meanwhile I'm powering up a dark steelix and getting ready to KO him. I pull a Trickey Gym and do 50 to him with feint attack. This is when he starts playing the Teleport Blast grumpigs and raichu exs. He has some energy trouble, and I get an advantage early. I'm Feint Attacking his bench while he uses wishing star to try and pull something but it doesnt work. I'm in a good position so I decide why not, lets power up another steelix on the bench. SO when he manages to take down the first steelix, I bring up the second one, attach, and rock for my last two prizes. GG man

Win 2-0

Round 3 VS. Stuart Benson (PowLock Medicham)

This wasn't even a game. I get Jirachi and he gets the hot T2 cham start. I would have been able to pull out a comeback as I had a very nice hand, but he admins me. I pull random crap and an admin. Next turn, I admin and pull random crap and FOUR life herbs, three of which are tails. That's GG, lol.

Lose 2-1

Round 4 VS. Forgot your name (Zapdos/Rayquaza/Raichu/Jirachi)

He gets cursed by my magical make-zappy-players-start-with-zappy thing I apparently have. I get the T2 Steelix that I like so very much and begin to pummel Zappy. He gets a hit in and super scoops for Jirachi. He tries some nice moves, but it isn't enough as the coins are just flipping in my favor this game. Good game for your bad start :(

Win 3-1

Round 5 VS. Supertyranitar (Medicham/Raichu ex)

When he showed me this thing in the morning I was like ?!?!?!?! but it must have been doing him well. He gets a crap start, mine isn't much better. My topdecks are better, and my trickey gymming is nice. This was a reasonably close game until I take down the first cham. He could have done a comeback, but then I flip tow life herb heads, and he gets three tails on 2 ER2s and a reversal. This is where we curse the POP die decided to, um... not use it. XD I pull out the win. GG, sorry we got paired again :(

Win 4-1

Round 6. VS. Austin Reed (Medicham/Deoxys ex/Togetic)

We both get decent hands, his slightly more decent. On his second turn he decides to admin, which winds up helping me greatly. I get a set up and tear through his medichams. He swoops a jirachi for togepi and I was like o_O the twenty damage he does can't really help his comeback, and when he gets the Deoxys defence powered up I heal the damage with a life herb. GG, i like the tech tho

Win 5-1

Round 7 VS. Mike Barlock (Magma)

I have to say, I wasn't expecting this. Actually I was, but thats another story X_X... nonetheless, my small testing against magma did help in this match. He gets a groudon start and has to burn a briney to get set up. I start killing his gooses, but briney/claydol and VS Seeker help keep him in the game. He pulls a prize or two on me, and puts himself in a good but risky situation by sending up camerupt to KO my active steelix. I had put down a jirachi and started loading it up a turn earlier luckily, and I swoop/evolve, lay the R and take the game. Great match dude.

Win 6-1

Round 8 VS. Takashi Yoneda (Speed Ttar)

I was confident coming in to this game, but, T1 pidgeot > me. I went down within 5 minutes, 'nuff said. GG

Lose 6-2

So I'm in the T32 for sure and I'm pretty excited. I turn in my deck and go to bed...
==============================
Sunday-
Announcements, get seated, other stuff. Top 32 begins............. now.

Top 32 VS. Esa Juntunen (LudiCargo)

Game 1:
He T2'd me with a Magcargo. Ugh...
Lose 0-1

Game 2:
He TRIED to T2 me again, but I ATM rock on my second turn and kill one of the DREs on cargo. We have a gigantic prize swap for like half an hour. It is a hard game but with some helpful flips I'm able to run over his ludicolos, and the rhydon coudn't even dent my steelix. I win this game.
Win 1-1

Game 3:
I mulligan, and then draw into a Jirachi. He starts with a random basic, I don't remember what. He swoops for sparce and gets some basics. I get steelix but I'm having a little trouble getting more than my two energy, so I decide to Feint some stuff before Rhydon comes and blocks me. I manage to get both of his slugmas/eventual magcargos in OHKO range and some damage on a ludi. He decides to use a cargo before it dies I guess, but he ends up having to put a DRE and scramble on it to attack. I'm well aware that he's probably going to warp since I saw he plays like 3, but I'm forced to lay down an Onix to save myself. Luckily, he didn't warp and I get the two turns to attack a metal and fighting to it. My steelix goes down and I'm in a very bad position. I have lone onix up with almost nothing in my hand... what I did have is two swoop teleporter. So after making sure all of his DRE are discarded, I send up onix and pray for a miracle, using Granite Head. He goes, attached to Rhydon i think and does Healing Steps. Thanks to granite head, it only did 50 instead of the normal 60. So I draw a trickey gym or something useless, bow my head, and play Swoop #1. I have one onix left in the deck, and I take the Jirachi. I immediately wishing star, and take the rocket's admin. Play Swoop #2, grab my last onix and make it my active. Here goes nothing, Rocket's Admin! He gets random useless stuff, but my prayers were answered with Rocket Ball, R Energy, Life Herb, and Metal energy. I flip heads on the life herb, fetch a steelix, attach R, and KO the ludi. He responds with another Ludicolo. He does circular steps for almost nothing, I go and decide to hold my life herd since there is no threat of OHKO, and do Energy link and get a metal. Now, understand for the last two or three turns I am nervously glancing over my shoulder at the timer slowly ticking down to nothing. We have about a minute left when he plays a Celio, and I had to actually use the "please be considerate of the time" phrase. We are tied 3-3 on prizes, and I draw just as the clock times out. I finish the game by playing TVR, play Trickey Gym, and KO something random on his bench for the win. GG dude, this was with no doubt my best match the whole weekend. Cya next year :)

Win 2-1 (match)

T16 VS. Zach K. (Rock-Lock with Magcargo)

He was sitting next to me in T32 so I knew what was coming. I was like, Magcargo, great ;x I hoped my general advantage over RL would help this game.

Game 1:
I get the very hot start that I like, consisting of swoop, dark, fighting, TVR, steelix, trickey gym, and Jirachi. This is the only hand i remember this whole weekend X_X. But yeah, he gets the oh-so-crappy sparce no energy start and passes. I start getting the Steelix nice and powered up, and all he can pull out is a Rare Candied Dark Amphy. I get 70 on him and rock, ending game one.
Win 1-0

Game 2:
He got a slightly better start, I, um... didn't. Nevertheless this was a close game that lasted the majority of the time limit. I don't remember all the details, but I DO know that the stupid cargo did me in. I might have pulled out game two, but I find that of my remaining three prizes (I think three), two of them are onix. That's pretty much game.
Lose 1-1

Game 3:
This is literaly sudden death, we get like a turn each in before time runs out. I get the decent start, the card that pushed me over the edge was the R energy. I have the steelix out with two energy on it second turn, and based on all his draw/choice of discard I assumed he must have had a very nice hand. I draw and play R for the win. GGs dude, especially for just turning 11. See ya next year sometime.

T8 VS. Andrew K. (ZRE with Moltres *GG*)

Game 1:
I knew from the start of this game it was over. I was pretty much done in from the beginning, as I ran no shard and he had Moltres ex. I needed to be able to get almost/all of my metal, orans, and heads on life herb to survive. I didnt get it, and ge was doing 180 with rayquaza within 10 minutes. I lose.
Lose 0-1

Game 2:
He gets a slow start, Magmar with no energy, but mine is even slower... onix WITH lots of energies. Yuck. Even though it takes him like five turns to get set up, I can't even get a basic to keep me in the game. He dual balls for moltres and wins the game. GG man, nice tech I guess :(
Lose 0-2 (Eliminated)

I coulda taken Yoneda and Stuart, too :tongue:
Oh well, I'm happy with my placing. We stick around to watch mainly Paublo and Jeremy play, then enjoy a Team R dinner of McDonald's. Ryan is greeted by one of my Quarterfinalist stamped cards, seeing as it was his deck I was using.

So the weekend draws to a close. I run into BT again at the airport, and we discuss some weird decks with UF cards, and then I sleep on the long ride back to the horribly humid Florida. And that's my report, now the most fun part...

PROPS:

-First and foremost, my favoritest steelix player evar, thanks for letting me use da deck :p
-Curran, Stuart, and Jeremy. I watched all of your finals matches, and I must say I was very impressed. Congratulations, I hope I have the chance to play you guys sometime in the future.
-The VERY generous prize support. The Pikachu SP has got to be the awesomest thing I've ever seen. I also now have like 5 of those yellow Pikachu notebooks, lol
-Myself and Jirachi for my incredible comeback in Game 3 of T32. If I remember anything about this weekend, that's it.
-Florida 11-14. We had a tremendous showing in 11-14 with Kyle, Colton, Lisa, Miranda, and myself making Top 32. Can't wait to play with you guys next season (well the ones still in 11-14)

SLOPS:

-Acid Liability ;x what are the odds of that going 5-0 in the grinder, seriously...
-ZRE playing moltres XD nah, it was a good tech, proud to lose to it i guess. lol
-BT missing the cut by tiebreak. You bring shame to my deck! :p
-Unowns. I must have like a million of those, grr...

Thats all I can think of right now. See ya next season.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I know, its so sad, to bad me and steve couldn't trade opponents :(

I decided to finish it tonight :p

SpaceMonkey said:
Penguins are known for their toughness

Really? o_Ooo;; That's interesting.

GJ, Mr. Malec, on a great performance this season. Myself and one of my friends were predicting the T8 for the 11-14 '05 Worlds, and my list (I actually got five of the people that made it! ^_^) included one Delibird of Chaos as my eighth place choice. You were one of the underdogs in this World Championship, but unlike Stuart, who was 14 this season, you've got at least another year to prove yourself to everybody who didn't believe you could go this far. My hat is off to you.

~That guy who fixed your Expedition Machamp deck 2 years ago.
BTW thanks for putting me in the T4 in the CaC contest. Some OTHER judges, not to name names *KOFFING*BURNINATING TORCHIC*KOFFING* severely underestimate Wooper. ;)

ttar/venusaur- thanks guys, see ya at origins/worlds.

Wooper- Thanks dude, glad I have some fans :p
one more year in this age group, I plan on scoring even higher in Anaheim. Hope to cya somewhere this year.

kyle- you got it. :thumb:

PenguinMaster great job on making top 8!!! It was a pleasure meeting you and watching your games. The one against Vince's son was a great matchup!!! Also the game (I think top32) where you swooped twice (Jurachi then Onix) and I figured you had definitely lost that one and you pulled it out...great job!!!

Feraligatr- Great meeting you too. I thought I lost that game >.<

JokerBoi- thanks, see ya at a CC or something.

Dan- I told him to win da whole thing for beating me :tongue: thanks, cya at origins/worlds

PhoenixSong said:
*sings the Aqua Teen theme song* PenguinMasta gets the hunnies, see...

XD

PenguinMaster said:
SLOPS:

-Acid Liability ;x what are the odds of that going 5-0 in the grinder, seriously...

BTW I was the guy playing Acid/Liability in the grinder...and I think you underestimate the deck....it goes toe to toe with every deck out there that was being played except Blaze. Totally annihilates any T2 style deck. My close losses in the main event were to 2 Draggys that I lost to on flips...

Anyways Awesome Report and GJ on your T8 finish.

ZERSHMETTERENDER EISBURG 4 LYFE!!!!11one1!!22@two!!1

Now now, don't slop me, slop everyone who was playing blastoise.
No, better yet, slop my resistance.
Stupid 48.57 or whatever percent...

Back