Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"would be Knocked Out"-mechanics

ShadowGuard

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
This is actually a general question, but I will use an example to show what I want to know.

Let's say your opponent has a Frosslass (LA) active with 10 HP left and used Destiny Bond last turn. You attack with Gible's (MT) Push Down to knock it out.

If I remember correctly, there is a gerenal ruling about the attack steps, which is:
1. do all damage
2. resolve all effects
3. knock out Pokémon which have their HP got reduced to 0

The second one I know is another ruling - all effects are removed if a Pokémon gets benched, this has already been answered in case of Froslass. [Click]

So what happens is:

1. Gible does 10 damage -> Froslass has 0 HP.
2. Froslass is sent to the bench -> Destiny Bond effect ends.

Now my question:
When exaclty is the "would be Knocked Out"-condition met?

Looking at some early fan-translations, I saw that this statement originally was like "if HP are reduced to 0" in most cases. Considering this, the effect of Destiny Bond could apply before it is removed because it got to the bench.

It's finally knocked out at the bench - but what does "would be Knocked Out" mean in this case?

Is Gible knocked out because of Destiny Bond or not?

If any of my pre-conclusions is wrong and my question doesn't make sense because of this, please excuse me.

btw actually I'm interested in Stormfront cards like Dusknoir Lv.X and Magnezone but I needed an example which is already available in the US and Europe, so I took Froslass here. Hope it will explain my point and doesn't make much difference.

References (PUI carddex):

P Destiny Bond
Discard a {P} Energy attached to Froslass. During your opponent's next turn, if Froslass
would be Knocked Out by damage from an attack, the Attacking Pokémon is Knocked
Out.

C Push Down 10
Your opponent switches the Defending Pokémon with 1 of his or her Benched Pokémon.

This would get past the Destiny Bond.
The effects resolve at the same time, so Destiny Bond is not removed before the return KO happens.

Update.
On reviewing this, my original ruling was incorrect.
The attack effect resolves first and Frostlass is sent to the bench,
Once on the bench, the Destiny Bond effect is removed and does not trigger.

Back