Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

HGSS-on (Yes, another) DonChamp Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

peadawg14

So, I've recently got back into pokemon cards. I would like to make a competitive deck and find a league around where I live. After reading/researching A LOT the past week and before I got out and spend a lot of money on these cards, I would like some suggestions:

Pokemon: 22
4-4 Donphan Prime
3-2-3 Machamp Prime (One regular in case I go up against Umbreon)
2-2 Zoroark
2x Zekrom

Trainers: 23
4 Pokemon Collector
3 Professor Elm’s Training Method
2 Professor Oak's New Theory
4 Pokemon Communication
3 Rare Candy
3 Catcher
2 Switch
3 Cherin

Energy: 14
10 Fighting
4 Double Colorless

The point is to get Donphan attacking while I set up my bench. Zekrom and Zoroark are my techs. Catchers are if I'm in a bad matchup. After everything's set up...starting attacking with Machamp.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I just built my first donchamp deck the other day so sorry i don't know

---------- Post added 06/14/2011 at 05:50 PM ----------

oh yea if you haven't already thought of/ seen it if donphan uses earthquake it can set up beserk

Okay take out 2-2 donphan and 2 juniper and put in 4 proffesor oaks new therrory and put in 2 copy catt and take one dusoin and put in one throh. Take out one pokemon reversal and put in one rare candy.

Haveing copy catt and profesor oaks new therrory in your hand is real good juniper is only good for some decks it wouldnt be good for this deck . And i doubt you would need two duisoin and throh is a quick card that you can move damage counters on to with reuniclus and throh can be good to start with.

Last edited:
Okay take out 2-2 donphan and 2 juniper and put in 4 proffesor oaks new therrory and put in 2 copy catt and take one dusoin and put in one throh. Take out one pokemon reversal and put in one rare candy.

Haveing copy catt and profesor oaks new therrory in your hand is real good juniper is only good for some decks it wouldnt be good for this deck . And i doubt you would need two duisoin and throh is a quick card that you can move damage counters on to with reuniclus and throh can be good to start with.

I agree w/ the Juniper not being good. I like having the 4-4 Donphan.

I've updated my list a little.

Any other suggestions about a Ursaring Prime?

I think, that in your list speed and consistency is probably missing....
Try it with something like that:

3 Cleffa
1 Tyrogue
3 Phanpy
3 Donphan
3 Machop
1 Machoke
3 Machamp
2 Solosis
1 Duosion
2 REuniclus
=22

4 Pokemon Collector
1 Professor Elm's Trainings Method
4 Pokemon Communication
4 Rare Candy
1 Switch
2 Seeker
3 Sage's Training
3 Professor Juniper
2 Professor Oak's New Theory
=24

4 Double Colorless
10 FIghting Energy
=14

With that list you should be able to get out pretty consistently and be able to stay in game for a long time....
I hope that helped you ;D
Darkmot.

Your list looks fine, except I'd probably add take out 2/3 Elm's for 2 PlusPower and/or another PONT.
I also think Judge works very well in this deck, especially against one of it's weaknesses, BlastGatr. Most decks in the format rely on playing cards in hand. LostGar only plays Lost World when it can win. BlastGatr has to keep to 2+ W energy in hand due to it's attack. By Judging these guys away mid game, you give Donphan a better chance of KOing more basics mid-game, which is very helpful.
Also, through testing, BlastGatr VS DonChamp often come to 1 prize each so it's a very 'sudden death' sort of game. By Judgging them late-game, it just screws them over and you can almost guarantee the win. Judge also helps early game for hand refreshment and MASSIVE disruption. Remember early game that BlastGatr uses Mantine to gather Water Pokémon and Delibird to draw cards. If you have Judge in hand, wait for them to waste a few turns on getting some evo's out with Mantine (or draw a few cards with Delibird) then Judge them away. It may hurt you, but they've been wasting turns doing nothing while you've been setting up Donphan, Machamp or even Reuniclus (in this case).
You should definitely consider it. I also believe that PlusPower is an absolute staple in this deck and you should try to get at least 2 in. Junk Arm is also an extremely helpful card that helps get back Comms and even PlusPowers.
But if you're going to consider any of these changes, you should really get those PlusPowers in.
I would probably start with:
-2 Professor Elm's Training Method
+2 PlusPower

I know that Elm's gets the deck running faster and I've used it too, but this change depends on your playstyle. If you'd rather set up slower but strike real hard late-game, then add in the PlusPower. If you're an aggressive player who HAS to get that T2 Earthquake, keep the Elm's.

Edit: BTW, keep those Cleffa and don't drop the count anymore, 2 is acceptable. 1 is not worth running. They can help a lot if you get bad draws. (Though my Cleffa hate me and I have to Eeeeeeek like 4 times to get a good hand I can work with -_-')

Also @pliskin, Juniper works wonders in this deck. I run 2 and it's the perfect amount. 3 can also be used but not 1 or 4. Juniper is good in this deck because you can burn through your trainers a little faster than others decks as this deck focuses on early Earthquakes. And if you run Junk Arm with Juniper (that I do) you have nothing to lose!

i am currently trying to run a similar deck and what i have experienced is that if donphan is using earthquake to hurt your bench reuniclus doesn't actually help all that much unless you move most of the damage to a high hp pokemon then seeker it back into your hand. so basically i would take reuniclus out

personally i dont like the look of baby pokemon/donphan. the fact your damaging your own bench with low hp pokemon can give opponents very easy prize cards.

Well im playing Machamp but without donphan... why? because in don´t like machamp with donphan... okay is good but is not funny >:C then i play this line of pokemon

4-3-4 machamp 2 prime 2 normal
2 Smeargle UD
2 cleffa HGSS
2-2-2 Reuniclus

The idea is start with machamp normal/prime or cleffa if machamp normal hit 60 and 20 to me then reuniclus spread my damage... then hit 90 and have a machamp prime in my bench with 1 energy power move energy 150 per turn... i don´t know y more fast or no but is a great deck... trust me when i said that smeargle and and cleffa are the best tech pkmn that this deck can have... well this is my deck...about your deck i play 2-2-2 reuniclus or don´t play it and about trainr lines

-1 elm
-1 rare candy
-3 Sage
+ 2 judge
+ 1 PONT
+ 2 Juniper

Last edited:
Reading around and looking at all the suggestions (thanks for your help!!) I've decided against the baby pokemon (thanks Darksanctuary). Ursaring and Machamp can take advantage of have an attack counter.

I rearranged a little bit. I put in another DCE for Ursaring. I like PONT more than Juniper b/c I don't like the discarded. I'm not keen on the plus power(it only does 10 more damage and Machamp's 150 attack can knock most pokemon out).

the plus power is to be used with donphan for quick 1hitko on zekrom.

u shouldnt use a 2-0-2 lineup, i would advise a 2-1-2 lineup minimum due to rare candy not always being around (or being trainer locked by vileplume -_-) which brings me to my next piece of advice. have you thought about junk arm? allows u to re-use trainers in discard pile by ditching 2 cards. (so in your case rare candy etc)

4 pokemon communication and elms is alot of pokemon searching, perhaps cut these down slightly for other cards? perhaps try junk arm to recycle your pokemon communications aswelll

other ideas u might want to try:

zoroark (cannot spell this guy) since foul play is double colourless and ables u to seriously hurt certain pokemon e.g. reshiram & zekrom (with plus power), 1shot emboar (the non ability one), 1 shot rayquaza and deoxys legend and so forth

i don´t like the ursaring in this deck... you need speed in this deck... i recomend

- 2-2 Ursaring prime
- 1 PKMN collector
- 1 elm
+ 2/3 Cleffa
+ 1 PONT
+ 2/3 Emcee chatter / 2/3 Smeargle UD

You need speed or you can do anything.
You too add an twins when cleffa or smeargle knock (if you start whit them)

Last edited:
1. Go 4 DOnphan prime and, if you are that concerned with Umbreon, 3 Machamp Prime + 1 regular. YOu will not need more than one imo.

2. Ditch the Elm's and the Emcees for Juniper's for more reversals.

I've updated my deck list a little bit. I took about the baby Cleffas for Zekroms...they weren't really doing much for me besides getting killed by earthquake.

cut zekrom for 1-1-1 magnezone and you dont need rare candys in this deck and dont bother with 1 machamp being normal all 3 primes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back