Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Yet another post about stalling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

garsh0p

so yeah, i got completely stalled out of a match today in regionals, delta vs lunarock. i was down 4-3 in prizes, and his whole board was filled with damage. i noticed he was playing tremendously slow when he first went up in prizes, but i was reluctant to call a judge because i was too nice. i didn't call one until there was a little less than 10 minutes left in the game. the game ended on time on his turn with all of his pokemon within 10 or 20 HP of a KO. one more turn and i would have taken 6 prizes with a zzzap. the judge told me he couldn't do anything because i called him too late and that he was playing at a "consistent" pace. ok, enough of my whining, how about a solution?

i have not played a magic tournament, but my friend tells me their policy on time is 5 additional turns. i don't understand why pokemon does not adopt that policy. even if 5 turns is too many, how about 3, or even just ONE? giving one additional turn (or any odd number) would mean that the staller would not make the last play of the match. its reasonable and is not even that time consuming. why hasn't it been done yet? i know i'm not the only person that's whined about losing on time before, even though its a completely illegitimate way to lose. stalling is probably the hardest thing in the world to penalize because it is so subjective, so why don't we take steps to discourage it?

In before the 123456789 posts that follow.

Then why make the XX'th thread about it?
We all know there's issues with stalling. Either borderline legal or flat out stalling for time has been as commonly a talked about topic as the worlds invites issues.

To try and change it, would take nothing short of adressing your concerns to POP directly and hoping they pick up on it and change some specific rules.

Let the copy/paste posts about stalling from the older topics begin:

Last edited:
A. If you think your opponent is stalling, then call a judge IMMEDIATELLY.

B. IMO, the correct way to do things is: 30 minutes, and each player gets to finish 1 turn after time is called. Then AND ONLY THEN are the prizes counted and a winner determined.

ok, i know the topic is redundant, but i just want to know why pokemon has not adopted the extra turn policy.

Calling a judge when there are 10 minutes left should be enough to catch stalling and slow play.

I wasn't there which limits what response I can make. Other than to highlight the apparent inconsistancy with your statement that you called the judge with a little less than 10 minutes remaining and the judges comment that yoiu called him/her too late. "Too late" is the last couple of minutes not the last 10. JMHO.

A "consistant pace" is not a defense against a slow play penalty.

Last edited:
Oh wow, yet another stalling topic. Unfortunately this sounds like another you said/he said issue, if even that. Next time, be an Absol and call up a judge if you felt there was a problem.

Get me a three turn extension to timed games plz kkthx? :thumb:

25+5. The best way to combine a timely event with the need to limit stalling. POP,if you give me the option to run events like this, and I WILL take it EVERY TIME.

Calling a judge when there are 10 minutes left should be enough to catch stalling and slow play.

I wasn't there which limits what response I can make. Other than to highlight the apparent inconsistancy with your statement that you called the judge with a little less than 10 minutes remaining and the judges comment that yoiu called him/her too late. "Too late" is the last couple of minutes not the last 10. JMHO.

A "consistant pace" is not a defense against a slow play penalty.
i went up to the judge after the game and he remarked that i called him too late, even though it was clear by the board position and his plays that he was stalling. he farmered with like a minute left even though it was useless. he told me i should have called him at the beginning of the game.
Oh wow, yet another stalling topic. Unfortunately this sounds like another you said/he said issue, if even that. Next time, be an Absol and call up a judge if you felt there was a problem.

Get me a three turn extension to timed games plz kkthx? :thumb:
well, the main point of my topic isn't complaining about stalling, its about a turn extension, which i really don't understand why it has not been implemented into the rules.

I know how you feel sometimes i reluctant to ask for a judge to watch my opponent. Once I asked a judge to "watch my opponents timing" which IMO is they courteous way to phrase, "I think my opponent is stalling" lol.. even if you do it in a courteous way they still can still get mad at you.
once at cities I ask the judge to watch my opponents timing as soon as I thought he was taking way too much time and as soon as it was my turn he said to the judge, TINA IS STALLING! and the judge is like dude she is like 3 seconds into her turn. He got a caution for not having SOTG and being pathetic --; I won anyway so blah :p

there is always different way to say things courteous and discourteous ways, and plain out rude and not called for like the "TINA IS STALLING THING" with out the judge actually watching not more than 3 seconds into my turn.

I know how you feel. I mean you said im a nice guy and all. But if someone is stalling you out they really didnt care. You can be nice but if they try to take an advantage over you shouldnt let that happen. Thats how I feel about it. Srry that happend to u though

I think the AND ONE MORE TURN, is the the best, and simplest answer. 25+5, is too complicated.

The AND ONE will keep the pace of the game good, and stop those last second stallers in there tracks.

If you stall at the end, your opponent has a chance to tie it up on their turn, or WIN. (EX prize). Thus no rational for taking delayed turns on tight games. You don't want the time to be called when it is your TURN, because your opponent will get the last turn. If you are so far behind or up, it doesn't really matter, and didn't matter before. But for those TIGHT games, AND ONE will solve 90% of the stalling.

SIGN the PETITION(Add to signiture) below, AND ONE...

I think the AND ONE MORE TURN, is the the best, and simplest answer. 25+5, is too complicated.

The AND ONE will keep the pace of the game good, and stop those last second stallers in there tracks.

If you stall at the end, your opponent has a chance to tie it up on their turn, or WIN. (EX prize). Thus no rational for taking delayed turns on tight games. You don't want the time to be called when it is your TURN, because your opponent will get the last turn. If you are so far behind or up, it doesn't really matter, and didn't matter before. But for those TIGHT games, AND ONE will solve 90% of the stalling.

SIGN the PETITION(Add to signiture) below, AND ONE...

im right on top of that.......

:mad: :mad: :frown: :frown: :mad: :mad:
i watched my lil buddy james get stalled in
his top16 match when if he would have had a turn then
he would have won, no doubt about it......

Well I lost my first match to time this weekend. We were tied on prizes and time was called on his turn. He was able to KO my active for the win ... but with just a few more turns the game would have been mine. Whatever gets done the time rules need to change.

I'd prefer 25+5, but any sort of standardized turn extension is much needed, IMO.

I'd be all in favour of turn extensions were it not for all the negative consequences of a 25+5 introduction. Not least of which is that it doesn't fix the problem just sweeps it under the carpet where it can fester and grow.

Judges already have the plus one turn option effectively available. Tell them to play on and call time some 30 seconds later! In practice an extension is likely to be at least a couple of minutes.

The problem isn't that we need turn extensions rather its that players aren't calling judges over and judges aren't giving small time extensions for slow play.

so yeah, i got completely stalled out of a match today in regionals, delta vs lunarock.
I wasn't stalling; that was just 300 miles of driving on four hours of sleep taking its toll on my critical thinking skills, I also haven't been playing for very long.

Time extensions are great, and the Florida judges are easily the best in the world at awarding them. Dana and I had a considerably slow game one in the final four, for example, so Heidi threw on an extra 10 minutes, and there was absolutely no rush, no worry, or anything whatsoever. We didn't even have to go into the ten minutes she awarded us, but at least we completed the three games.

By the way, it's a shame that Pokegym has a ToS, or else drrty byl's post would have easily been the best in the history of this board =[

so yeah, i got completely stalled out of a match today in regionals, delta vs lunarock. i was down 4-3 in prizes, and his whole board was filled with damage. i noticed he was playing tremendously slow when he first went up in prizes, but i was reluctant to call a judge because i was too nice. i didn't call one until there was a little less than 10 minutes left in the game. the game ended on time on his turn with all of his pokemon within 10 or 20 HP of a KO. one more turn and i would have taken 6 prizes with a zzzap. the judge told me he couldn't do anything because i called him too late and that he was playing at a "consistent" pace. ok, enough of my whining, how about a solution?

i have not played a magic tournament, but my friend tells me their policy on time is 5 additional turns. i don't understand why pokemon does not adopt that policy. even if 5 turns is too many, how about 3, or even just ONE? giving one additional turn (or any odd number) would mean that the staller would not make the last play of the match. its reasonable and is not even that time consuming. why hasn't it been done yet? i know i'm not the only person that's whined about losing on time before, even though its a completely illegitimate way to lose. stalling is probably the hardest thing in the world to penalize because it is so subjective, so why don't we take steps to discourage it?

I'm going to say this right now, you screwed yourself by not calling a judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back