Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Anyone sick of GG/ Magmortar? *Raises Hand*

Electipwner

I personally am sooo sick if GG and Mag for one simple reason. Nothing is a really good counter to both of them at the same time. This, in turn makes tournament play very boring. Case in point: Scepterra. I made an absolutley beautiful Scepterra deck that pwned GG, but guess what? Mag and GG are evenly balanced in my area so it is unplayable at States. I also made a decent Darkrai deck, Pwns Mag but gets owned by GG.

I realize that there are some counters for both decks, but again it limits the game and discourages imagination. I would love to see stuff like Beedril and Kircketune work. I would love to see Electivire be a playable card. The sad thing is neither of them really are, due to two decks, both of which are fairly boring to play and play against. I have resigned myself to the fact that I have to play one of these decks or be destroyed.

Tell me what you think, but I'm pretty discouraged.

yeah, Tsunami/Hurricane would be a good play too but guess what Gardevoir on it's own eats that deck for breakfast.

magnzone makes the matchup easier then gallades easy to handle. So i agree hurricanes a pretty good deck that can beat both skill wise against gandg.

magnzone makes the matchup easier then gallades easy to handle. So i agree hurricanes a pretty good deck that can beat both skill wise against gandg.

dude, i'm such a noob. i completely forgot that Magnezone has Psychic resistance.

I'm giggly like a little school girl right now.

<*goes and fits in a Magnezone in his Hurracaine list*

You made my States dude.

lunasol ruins that, i don't play lunasol in my gallade deck but it's worth it to get through a lot of decks that are planning on surviving soley on resistance,

i don't know why everyone on the internet is "sick of gg and magmorter" you can't blame people for playing good decks,it's really not going to be a bunch of mirrors, but strong decks like gallade and magmorter will do well even in the much more diverse states environment

theres plenty of decks that do well against both of them, you don't have to play 1 of 2 decks, play something else but don't expect it to be as easy to make a successful list as it is to make a gallade decks or mag deck,

The main problem with just two decks is the lack of creativity. The only thing your creative in is how your "beast" deck gets setup. It's good for players who are just starting, and can't get the creative juices flowing, but now, its just getting ridiculous.

I don't blame anyone for playing it, and I realize that both of them are really consistent decks. I don't blame the players of GG/Mag, but I do blame Nintendo/Game Freak/whoever make the cards, for creating such an unbalenced playing field. You made a good point when you said, you can play something else, but you can't expect it to be as consistent. This is my point, 2 decks are so diverse that nothing can totally take them out. Does anyone have further opinions?

P.S. I am not just jealous of GG/Mag, I have both decks and I still don't like them. I may be forced to play Mag because nothing else does very good against these decks.

You know what I'm sick of? People conplaining about how the format is just maggytar and GG. If you don't like the format just stop playing. If you don't stop playing then get with the times!:lol:

I felt like this after cities. But then I relized that if I don't play the deck then I can't win or survive the Format.:thumb:

Ok, the reason for playing this game is to have fun, not to win all the time. It starts to get boring after awhile, using the same deck. You need to switch it up at least once in a while, and others stop having fun when they keep facing the same decks 1000 times. I mean, at this point, you could practically flip a coin to find out what your opponent is playing.

The only reason any tier one deck does so well is because the best players build them, who in turn know how to use them and get comfortable with them. Since the decks post such strong results, less strong players copy the lists in hopes of winning, and if the deck is good enough it becomes the new BDIF.

I think you're looking at the situation all wrong. You need to take a really critical eye to the cards going into the deck before actually making it...that's what's making you so disappointed. If you want to beat the decks, that should be your objective from the get-go, not making a solid deck only to find out that it loses to what's popular.

Being mad at people won't keep them from playing a deck you don't like, so you might as well do something about it. That's what I've been doing for the past couple months and we'll see how well it pays off on Saturday.

The same thing happens every format.

There are top decks that do well at cities, every single person on Pokegym complains
Somebody comes up with a new deck that does well at States
Everybody on Pokegym copies that deck for week 2 of states
Everybody then complains on how the new deck is too good

Followed by countless threads in this forum. Every time.

Ok, the reason for playing this game is to have fun, not to win all the time. It starts to get boring after awhile, using the same deck. You need to switch it up at least once in a while, and others stop having fun when they keep facing the same decks 1000 times. I mean, at this point, you could practically flip a coin to find out what your opponent is playing.

What you need to realize is that there are two types of players: Players who have fun by winning, and players who have fun by playing their favorite deck. Players who like to win will do anything to win, which includes playing the same deck for the whole season. If it still wins, why not? If you're comfortable with how to play it, why not?

The thing that strikes me as odd is that since this is a game of total customization, people seem to think that you have to play something different all the time. That costs time and money. Let's say I can't get a job to pay for cards or I'm not very good at trading or thinking up new innovative decks, but I manage to get together one of these decks and does consistently well for me throughout the season. Does that mean people like you are going to chastise me for not being "original"?

There are people just like that all the time who don't have the resources to build more than one deck for a period of time, where the only joy in the game is winning. What you're basically saying is that out of those people, the ones that do well are ignorant, conceited, and should just either stop playing or die. Basically. Nice SOTG.

Im kinda sick of the dominant deck too. There's hardly any good counter to them (at the same time)

But it's the Nintendo company who's making the stupid sets. If GE included some more cards from DP4, Omastar might put a pause on GG and mortar.

Okay, I've already said it once but I'll say it again. I don't blame anybody who plays either of these decks. I realize that there are counters to both decks and some can even counter both at the same time. My problem lies in that you must build either a GG/Mag or build a counter to them. Like I said, creative decks like Scepterra are neither of these things, they are not GG/mag and do not attempt to counter them. Thusly, they fail. This is what I'm sick of, not GG/Mag themselves, but the problems that come from over-use.

I realize people don't have enough money to build different decks all the time (Myself included) However what you have to think about is that 80% of the packs that people buy don't contain Magmortar or one of the G's. They contain other cards that are made mostly un-useable by two cards in the current format. If this isn't a waste of money, I don't know what is.

Hope this clears things up! Plz continue discussing.

P.S. I have a Anti-GG/Mag deck and I own both decks. I am frustrated by the limitedness of this format.

At least this isn't a one-deck format where the BDIF costs over $200.

What you're complaining about is one of the cornerstones of competitive TCGs. There are millions of possible combinations for decks, and a handful are better than the rest. Once one of those rises to the top, most flock to it, use it, get comfortable with it, and play it until it gets trumped by something else.

And at this point I don't even know why you're complaining. You've already said you don't hate the decks themselves, you don't hate the players that play them, and you just said your problem with the decks stem from their over-use. Begging people with puppy eyes won't stop them from playing what they want.

I dunno how long you've been playing this game...But I can tell you...That in the 10yrs I've been playing, Its the same thing.

Winning decks dominate the environment early season, rogue decks dominate late season.

You do realize that there is a place for people who want to play for fun. Its called "league".

I like to win, and really when it comes down to it, like winning prizes. If you only want to play for fun, and don't like that every one uses G&G and Mag (btw both of them can have several different builds) then just don't show up and spare everyone your complaining.

I used to be tired of G&G, but I can beat it somewhat consistently now with my current deck. Magsol is still a bit of a problem, but manageable.

Back