Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Maryland: March 1, 2008

Warning seems a bit servere if nothing comes of it, unless the player forgot to apply resistance and wants to flip over one more prize and turning it into rewinding the action in order to change the damage.

Are you sure he was watching YOU and not your opponent at the time? Player 2 is sometimes more active than you'd think during player 1's turn.
I don't know. The SE match it happened in was against my brother. Neither of us knew about how you are supposed to do it at the time. (besides he actually flipped over one more than he had to :tongue:) In the top 2 match the guy did it how you are supposed to.

Seems to be one of those vague rules. Kind of like with Team Galactic's Wager, everyone assumes the maximum allowed will be drawn instead of having an amount to be drawn declared before the draw.

Why can't a player perform damage calculation while prizes are flipping over?
For the same reason mentioned before in this thread. "The prizes themselves aren't allowed to influence you as they are revealed." You can never know in every situation whether the player is really just doing damage calculation of if they're actually trying to find a certain prize card (which isn't part of Psychic Cut's effect at all). So to ensure that the prizes aren't influencing your decision, you have to announce beforehand how many you're going to flip and then you're bound to that count.

Not sure on the penalty, though. Flipping the maximum number? Yikes. On the surface, it sounds pretty harsh. But I don't see any other penalty that would take into account all the "devious" scenarios. :lol:

Seems to be one of those vague rules. Kind of like with Team Galactic's Wager, everyone assumes the maximum allowed will be drawn instead of having an amount to be drawn declared before the draw.
LOL. That's an interesting analogy. Nobody declares how many they're going to draw up front with TGW because, usually, everyone just draws the maximum. That much is consistent with the discussion so far. If you don't declare, you're forced to draw the maximum.

But if someone who wins with TGW stops at 2 and says that's all he wants, I guess he will actually be forced to draw all 6 because (presumably) he didn't state that he was only going to draw 2 up front and TGW doesn't say "draw up to 6 until you find what you're looking for". So the player isn't allowed to just search the first X number of cards until he hits on what he's looking for. So, yeah, it does make sense that he would be forced to draw the maximum in that case even though he wanted to stop at 2. Unless, of course, he declared he was going to draw 2 before drawing any.

That's my opinion anyway.

Is announcing "how many" specific to a definite number? Or can it be as vague as "enough"?
To me, that sounds like a fair question. But I don't think just saying "enough" would be sufficient. It doesn't place an upper bound. It only specifies a lower bound. You can eat "enough" cake to fill you but keep eating anyway. :tongue:

But it does seem like stating a description of an exact number should be the same as stating the exact number itself. As long as that description isn't based on something not specifically allowed by the effect. For example, stating "I'm going to flip up prize cards until I find that Gardevoir that I know is prized" does, in fact, specify an exact number (assuming Gardevoir is really prized). But it requires that you be given a special privilege (searching your prize cards) that's not allowed by any effect at the time.

However, stating something like "I'm going to flip up exactly the number of cards required to knock out your active Pokemon" seems like it should be fine. It's an exact number, whatever that is, and it's based on doing something you can always do (calculate how much damage is required to knock out your opponent's active Pokemon). So then it would seem you could start flipping over prizes, adding up outloud as you go until you reach that magical number. The problem is if you do go over that number, the penalty will end up being as described here...flip the rest of them up.

LOL. Ok, that's enough for today.

Thomas Dorris

Last edited:
I know the answer to this question is probably in this thread somewhere, but I have to double check.

Can you say "Ima flip the minimum number of prizes it takes to knock your Active Pokemon out"?

Can you say "Ima flip the minimum number of prizes it takes to knock your Active Pokemon out"?
Unfortunately, I think this thread has probably veered too far off topic at this point. It's probably not appropriate to get an official response to that question here. Unofficially, I believe the answer is no. So far, I've only heard mention that you have to say a specific numeric value. My babbling above was just "thinking outloud" stuff. I believe the official response will be "no, you have to state a specific number". But to know for sure, I would recommend starting a new thread, perhaps in the Ask the Masters forum, or searching there to see if someone has already asked this recent.

EDIT: Some links from the Ask the Masters forum.

"Up to" effects
Psychic cut "up to"
More psychic cut weirdness
Psychic cut flip count again

Thomas Dorris

Last edited:
So, I didn't see any Gardevoir [PK] at all at MD States. Does anyone find that strange?
I went 4-2 and missed the cut despite starting 3-0.
Perhaps Cumulative would be a nice tiebreaker to have.
I think it may be, and have brought it up on the forum. Perhaps its time to have another thread about the the fairness of tiebreakers.

Last edited:
Tie breakers being unfair!??? How about not being able to play off for 4th and 3rd. :mad::mad::mad:
Now THATS unfair.
If you had done a 3/4 playoff and lost, would you be complaining about the lack of a 3/4 playoff?

The reason they eliminated the 3/4 playoff was the rating system. Once you make it to single elim, you are stuck. You have to play every match they give you, or take a hit in ratings. I know that if I just lost in the Top4, I would not like to be forced to play another match, that I may also lose, and let my ratings take even more damage.

Think about this: 5th-8th place don't get to do another SE match to determine their final standing: why should 3rd-4th?

Last edited:
I agree with pokemonforever. And if the playoff had happened whoever won wouldn't have complained about the extra rating points now would they?

Do they wait until the tournament is over, in order to see who lost to the winner, or just the OP win% up until that point?
That I don't know. It didn't come up last week in masters since the 3rd place person had a better record than Michael.

I'm going to second or third or whatever the opinion about 3/4 playoffs. It needs to be played out, particularly if prizes are different. My son was a little bummed that he didn't get to battle it out for a cool 3rd place trophy. Instead, he was forced to just accept the results of an opp win %. It was out of his control. He certainly would have enjoyed having a chance to play it out for 3/4 himself rather than leave his fate in the hands of math and chance in some set of games he wasn't even playing in.

Top cut is special. Once you make top cut, I would think you'd expect to have to defend your ratings. It's the best of the best at the tournament. If you lose in the 3/4 battle and your rankings go down, well, that's just how rankings work. You lost. Your rankings go down. But to give a trophy for 3rd without playing it out is a big bummer for an excited 8 year old kid.

That's my opinion.

Thomas Dorris

Back