Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

I used to be good: FL Regionals

GJ man, 4-4 in this format actually isn't terrible. =/

I haven't played legitimately since Cities 09-10 because of how terrible the format's been. I miss the old days. Such a variety in decks, and skill is what separated the good people from the bad people, not Sableye and the coin flip.

james i saw you posting in the nostalgia party on silvestros wall.. you know what's up!!

john: thanks man, it was great seeing you and steve again too. hopefully it will be sooner than 2 years before we chill again! PM me your number or send it to me on Facebook bro

One of the top 8 matches at the Georgia Regionals was over in eight minutes.

Most of that was spent shuffling.

Donk :rolleyes:

Donk :mad:

Donk :eek:

Match over. :nonono:

So now i'm like cool, my first tourney in 2 years and it looks like im gonna make the cut! I sit down for round 6. me and my opponent get set up. i have t2 luxray x AND garchomp X ready to attack. GOD HAND. basically guaranteed 5-1. ALL OF A SUDDEN everyone gets repaired!! no big deal, it's not like im gonna get repaired vs anyone good....

Round 6 - Stephen Silvestro - Mewdos

out of 170 masters i get repaired vs legit comation!! i open w/ azelf and steve steamrolls me. i drew pretty dead but i honestly don't even know what cards do in this format and didn't deserve the win even if i did somehow donk him.

4-2

comation?

Why did every one get repaired?

comation?

Why did every one get repaired?

lol you had to be around Anthony "Anthoy" Caspanello

edit: it got repaired because of a simple mistake. there were like 160-170 masters so it's not too surprising.

Last edited:
One of the top 8 matches at the Georgia Regionals was over in eight minutes.

Most of that was spent shuffling.

Donk :rolleyes:

Donk :mad:

Donk :eek:

Match over. :nonono:

nuff' said!

Nothing against either player but it sounds like there was a ton of skill shown in that
match Marty :rolleyes:

This format IS awful. Austino, rather than point out the fact that good players HAVE been able to be successful in this format, and look at the number of equally deserving, prepared, and skillful players who 4-4d, or 5-3ed Regionals as well. If you want to look at concrete results as being statistically significant, look no further than that.

I've done well all format but that doesn't change the fact that, in spite of this, the format is atrocious. This format actually IS extremely skill intensive. Going into an event unprepared is going to hurt as much, if not more, than in any previous format. But skill and luck are not in direct correlation . While I stand by the fact there is a very high amount of skill ( I actually argue this format requires notably more skill than any prior format ) but by an even larger degree, this format ALSO is EXTREMELY luck based. Higher than usual skill requirements, and VASTLY higher than usual luck requirements. To the point where yes, I DO feel like degree of variance is VERY bad for the health of the game.

i have no idea who anyone you just named is. probably because they only got good in the past year or 2 since cards have been donkified.

point proven.

Steve got 2nd at regionals, then made a post on FB last night about how terrible and luck based this format is.

Kyle Sabelhaus got 3rd at regionals and posted on facebook last night that this is the worst pokemon season in history.

all of your arguments are horrible and moot. the top players DO think this format is terrible and luck based.

Just because you don't know who people are doesn't mean they automatically "only got good when the cards got broken." I only started back playing this game in '08, but I was "good" back in 2000-01 (years I played prior to quitting) and always put in the effort it requires to succeed in any metagame. In other words, if I had been on the scene during the "golden years" of modified, I wouldn't exactly have been at the bottom tables. I wish I could have played from 04-08-- I know how good those formats were-- but I just simply didn't. I dislike the format we have now like most other people, winning or not, but I'm certainly not only topcutting/winning because of the card pool, which is what your post implies.

It was nice seeing you Zach. Glad to see that people are returning to the game. I haven't played since states '09 and went 4-4 as well. I didn't mind. What I enjoyed most was simply being back in the environment, seeing so many people that I hadn't seen in forever, and seeing my friends that I used to play with do well. Hopefully with a bit more practice I can get back to the playing ability that I had when I left the game.

As for the format, I don't really like it either. I found myself more frustrated by the time though. I don't know if it has been reduced from when I last played but I lost two games on time. I realized by the end of the day that Dialgachomp isn't the best deck to play with a reduced time limit. That worked against me in addition to the fact that I didn't know what a lot of stuff did or simply everything that my deck was capable of. I was simply ill-prepared lol.

I was the player who donked that kid twice in top 8 at GA.

I started q... lost.... he started q.... lost and then he started q again.

I felt bad, but if happens sometimes. You just gotta accept the format for what it is and play accordingly.

What I enjoyed most was simply being back in the environment, seeing so many people that I hadn't seen in forever, and seeing my friends that I used to play with do well.

I didn't know what a lot of stuff did or simply everything that my deck was capable of. I was simply ill-prepared lol.

^ this EXACTLY.

and to butlerforhire sorry if i offended you man.

Yeah, I bombed So Cal regionals.

Rd. 1 I got donked by Sergio Ortiz
Rd. 2 all gengar and Azelf were prized, and still got it to 2-2

I ended up going 5-3, should have EASILY made the top cut. It shows insanely consistant yet slightly teched decks fall to extremly terrible luck.

But good showing Zack...welcome back.

This format IS awful. Austino, rather than point out the fact that good players HAVE been able to be successful in this format, and look at the number of equally deserving, prepared, and skillful players who 4-4d, or 5-3ed Regionals as well. If you want to look at concrete results as being statistically significant, look no further than that.

I've done well all format but that doesn't change the fact that, in spite of this, the format is atrocious. This format actually IS extremely skill intensive. Going into an event unprepared is going to hurt as much, if not more, than in any previous format. But skill and luck are not in direct correlation . While I stand by the fact there is a very high amount of skill ( I actually argue this format requires notably more skill than any prior format ) but by an even larger degree, this format ALSO is EXTREMELY luck based. Higher than usual skill requirements, and VASTLY higher than usual luck requirements. To the point where yes, I DO feel like degree of variance is VERY bad for the health of the game.

Agree (almost) wholeheartedly. In terms of preparation for Regionals, I was much more ready than my brother was. He placed 2nd, however, while I went 4-3 (getting donked twice). The skill/preparation is sometimes required to do well, but not always. And while Kevin and a couple of notable others got into the top cut, some very good players were sent home packing. When I asked them about their performance, they mainly talked about donks, bad opening hands, etc. Of course, nobody ever just admits that they lost because they played poorly or made a misplay (haha), but in the case of getting donked, there's no exchange of skill between players anyway.

The only part I sort of disagree with is the skill part. I'm with you in that I think a lot of skill is sometimes required to do well, but there are a ton of factors to consider. First, I've always considered deck "creativity" to be a skill in and of itself. To find unheard of combos and using that to one's advantage takes both courage and careful planning. Todd Sterret plays in our area (though I think he's done for now cause of the format), and he was running Charizard G/Abamasnow/Regigigas during CC's this year and racking up wins. It was quite amazing...

Eh, I have more to say, but work time. Boo...

I don't know if it's actually all that much donking, i played aprox 35 games over states and regs, only 3 that i remember were donks. Thats 1/11, which is still a lot, but that does not give you the right to say anyone that is doing good donks through everything. :/

I don't know if it's actually all that much donking, i played aprox 35 games over states and regs, only 3 that i remember were donks. Thats 1/11, which is still a lot, but that does not give you the right to say anyone that is doing good donks through everything. :/

i dont think he was saying that if you're good you're automatically a donkey, rather that the skill gap has decreased dramatically this season. the way decks are designed, you can misplay multiple times and still win the game on a draw to a superior opponent. that's not a healthy format.

Last edited:
From iPhone

My P!P account shows an OP record of 39-12 on the year.

Of those 12 losses;

BR: Legit getting beat
CC: folding to dialga w/ mewperior. Legit loss
CC: leaving during TC cause I was bored
CC: T1d twice
States: T1d 4 times(twice in T4)
Regs:Despite 4 sableye and 3 smeargle I drew garbage, and watched my opponent misplay ALL game, only to lose 6-5.
Regs: Gyarados mirror, prized 3 magikarps. Lost 6-4
Regs: despite 4 sable and 3 smeargle, i drew like garbage, played 4 supporters over 2 games.

12 losses, 1 was a concession, 5 were getting T1d. 4 were to horrid luck, and 1 was a legitimate butt kicking.

There used to be a common saying amongst the so called "elite" players and it was this, "We're not good, everyone else is just really bad."

The game is tailored to the bad players, and its really bad. There are people winning tournaments that I've never heard of in my life before.

Until he won, the guy who won FL, I called him hey because I didnt know his name.

Is he a BAD player? Of course not, but hes certainly a product of this format. Plays a standard pokegym SP list, misplays in certain spots, and wins states and regionals. Yep, thats pokemon 2011

Last edited:

Gallade, was your post directed at me? How do you get "anyone that is doing good donks through everything" from what I said? I was making the point that skill and preparation are sometimes required to do well, but not always. A mediocre player can sneak into the top cut with Luxchomp by having good starts and a couple of donks. It might not mean that they'll win the whole thing, but they certainly did better on the surface than an "expert" who had a couple of bad opening hands and got donked once or twice. It's what Ruiner said, variance.

This is good because it leads me into my ultimate point about skill and luck in our current format. Here's the definition of variance: "1. The fact or quality of being different, divergent, or inconsistent." Focus in on that idea of "inconsistency." When I sit down at tournaments today, so much of how the game will play out is determined either directly or indirectly by what happens on turn 1. If I donk my opponent or I get donked myself, that's pretty direct. It's also something that players can't necessarily account for. I ran Luxchomp for Regionals with the idea that I wouldn't be as susceptible to donks as I would if I played Gyarados. Turns out, I got donked even more.

Indirectly, players in the current format can get one of those super-good starts that puts the opponent at a complete disadvantage. Say I play Luxchomp mirror and put Garchomp C active and bench a Bronzong G. My opponent goes first and OHKO's my Garchomp C with an Ambipom G and DCE. I now have to burn a Poketurn for the Bronzong G that I'll promote, I will have lost my Garchomp C (extremely important in the mirror), and it all happened before I got a turn. I didn't get donked, but unless my opponent is braindead, I'll probably never catch up. This same thing applies for many of the popular decks in the game right now: Machamp, Gyarados, Luxchomp, Dialgachomp, Sablelock... these decks can all gain a huge advantage first turn and see that the opponent never catch up. This doesn't even get into the turn 1 trainer lock that Vilegar can pull off. Again, not a donk, but a Gyarados player with 3 PokeDrawer+ in hand either explodes into first turn KO's or does nothing until it loses -- all based on what happens turn 1.

The current interactions that occur in a lot of games are inconsistent because they happen on turn 1 and give players very little to work with. There's no reaction time, and many of the games are basically decided on opening hands. Speed has everything to do with it -- even the speed with which a player can achieve a trainer lock (turn 1).

Now, with all of this said, when turn 1 is over and there's no clear winner to the game, that's when a player's skill can shine. I played a game this past weekend (Luxchomp mirror) where I was put at an immediate disadvantage on turn 1. Since I didn't get donked and the disadvantage wasn't overwhelming, I made a brilliant comeback and actually won that game. I had to play it perfectly to avoid losing, and I managed to do so. I felt very proud and for a brief moment realized the true skill that is sometimes required to play well in the format. That fun and mentally challenging game was sandwiched between two games in which I donked Machamp/Vileplume decks. Those games were boring, over in a couple of minutes, and represented no exchange of skill between players (just opening hands).

Since the variance is so high, you also have a lot of players with many different perspectives of the game. One person can play 35 games and experience only 3 donks; another person can count 7 donks out of their 24 games (guess who that is). But donks aside, there are so many games that are decided by opening hands that we might as well just sit down and reveal our hands to our opponents and determine who the winner will be -- it'll save us all a lot of time. When you get past the donk, then past the opening hand issue, real games can be had. Those games are where true skill shines, but it's all clouded by those first two issues.

Also compounding the issue are all the forms of skill that aren't present in our current format. Deckbuilding skill is at an all time low -- current decks have been around for so long that good lists are no longer a mystery. Deck creativity is also absent. Why run a rogue when we all know it'll lose? And finally, the ability to adapt to a new format is gone... since we've had the same format for so long. These indeed are representative of player skill, they're just things that most players never think about. But in our current format, there's never a need to of course. :p

Edit:

Along with the idea of variance is the present danger of having bad matchups (rock, paper, scissors format). Then, there's also the fact that most non-SP decks have stupid coin flips built into them (Machamp: Hurricane Punch, Gengar: Feinting Spell, Gyarados: Pokemon Reversal, Super Scoop Up). Just a few more things to think about.

TL;DR -- get past the huge amount of variance to the game and it's not so bad.

Last edited:
Back