Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

I used to be good: FL Regionals

Rambo1000

so basically, i haven't played since regionals '09. about a week ago i decided i would try to check out the cards ive missed and go to regionals. i called the sexiest pokemon player alive Bobby Malec (3 way tie between me, him and sabelhaus) and he told me i could borrow a deck and what was good and whatnot. i got on redshark for 3 days and tested bad decks like steelix.dec and scizor.dec but both lost to sp/dos/gengar..

anyways i get to the venue at around 9, meet up w/ bobby and say hi to all my friends i haven't seen in 2 years. i decided to play LuxChomp since it plays itself and takes no skill, much like all the other decks right now.

Round 1 - Pokedad - Doduo.dec
I start w/ Dragonite FB and he flips over a doduo... which can apparantly t1 me w/ 2 heads and a dce!!! you know the format is bad when you have to legitimately worry about getting t1'd by a DODUO. anyways, i get the regular sp set up and run through everything

1-0

Round 2 - Kid - Sableye.dec i guess...
he opens w/ sableye to my uxie and doesnt bench anything. he decides to impersonate JUDGE. i draw uxie, expert belt, dce, cyrus. i topdeck collector, grab bat and unown q, play the bat, attach the q to uxie, play my other uxie, get the luxray off the draw, retreat active, luxray, belt, gg. took absolutely no skill but i'll take it i guess.

2-0

Round 3 - Nick Harper - Gengar/Vileplume
i open w/ promocroak to his spiritomb i believe... could have won t1 but flipped tails. could have won t2 but flipped tails. basically i kept flipping tails w/ promocroak and couldnt draw into a way to retreat or anything and got destroyed.. i dont even remember much other than flips being abyssmal. nick is legit though, good game bro.

2-1

Round 4 - Dude - Hoppip Swarm?
dude opens w/ unown q and a hoppip on the bench? he then proceeds to tell me that i'm about to get steamrolled and he's going to poop on my deck, which i thought was rude! then he attaches expert belt to his 30 hp hoppip..... let's just say this was the easiest game of pokemon cards i've ever played (other than beating james flint's shiftry deck w/ banette at nats '07. so easy.)

3-1

Round 5 - Casey Messix - TTAR
this is my buddy from way back when we were little kids going to league and trading our new Neo set pokemon... anyways i get a god start and pretty much just run through him. he ended up making t16 though i think so congrats bro!!

4-1

So now i'm like cool, my first tourney in 2 years and it looks like im gonna make the cut! I sit down for round 6. me and my opponent get set up. i have t2 luxray x AND garchomp X ready to attack. GOD HAND. basically guaranteed 5-1. ALL OF A SUDDEN everyone gets repaired!! no big deal, it's not like im gonna get repaired vs anyone good....

Round 6 - Stephen Silvestro - Mewdos

out of 170 masters i get repaired vs legit comation!! i open w/ azelf and steve steamrolls me. i drew pretty dead but i honestly don't even know what cards do in this format and didn't deserve the win even if i did somehow donk him.

4-2

Round 7 - Jim Roll - YanmegaPrime/MagnezonePrime/MACHAMP SF

jim is my boy! uhh he gets up a machamp and takes 6 prizes. i don't play toxicroak g cuz i didn't think machamp was still legal lol.

4-3

Round 8 - Dave Hubbs - HubbsTar
worst draw ive ever had in my life. i hit 0/4 cyrus, 0/4 poketurn, and 0/4 energy gain... ANY of which would have made the game winnable. he ends up steamrolling through me.

4-4

Regardless of my sour grapes about the re-pairing incident that probably cost me top cut, I had an insane amount of fun seeing everyone and playing cards.

PROPS:
Bobby
30+3.dec
Heidi running an awesome event as usual
seeing everyone
being 4-1 at one point lol
trades
hoppip+expert belt
Kyle Sabelhaus even though he wasn't there
the Silvestros both in top 4
THIRTYplusTHREE.dec

Slops:
this format
uxie
sableye
SP
Machamp SF
"Fainting Spell"
the re-pairing incident

Last edited:
eh real skill decks like Destiny way back when was good man
its all flip **** now
i think best way to play right is to play a flip deck yourself something like gyrados or gengar
I also played on sat, havent played in like 13 months
played gyrados, didnt know the cards or what the format was and still managed to top 8
this formats a real effin joke

sebastiannnnnn what's up my man! i would have played gyrados too if it was available, unfortunately i borrowed cards and figured this deck was just as safe... the kid who won actually played the same deck as me w/ no lucario and somehow beat silvestrodos best 2/3...

good to see you coming back though, maybe next season will be cool.

My brother got 2nd and playtested only once the night before. Otherwise, he hadn't really picked up cards in months (aside from States which he didn't playtest for). As for me, I got donked twice, donked two others myself... yeah, I did a lot of walking around at Regs.

This game the best!

Good to see you guys back in the game... sad to see it had to be now. Next year?

haha yeah man. next year. that's awesome to hear your bro did so well. he must have practiced a ton and built a super solid list that he had tes--- oh wait....

This entire report plus the posts following it are hilarious! Whine less and play more...Talking about not knowing the format, what's legal vs what isn't, etc are all signs leading to a player not hitting top cut anyway.

Sorry that you have sour grapes and went 4-4. Maybe you should post your list in the deck help forum. ; )

Yeah, I know you used to be a top player, just amusing to see you moaning about the game when if you just did what top players are doing (keeping up, playing, knowing what's what) you could have shown better performance.

Don't blame the format for your performance though, especially while the best players from back then are STILL doing well in the format. Just looks silly on your part.

This entire report plus the posts following it are hilarious! Whine less and play more...Talking about not knowing the format, what's legal vs what isn't, etc are all signs leading to a player not hitting top cut anyway.

Sorry that you have sour grapes and went 4-4. Maybe you should post your list in the deck help forum. ; )

Yeah, I know you used to be a top player, just amusing to see you moaning about the game when if you just did what top players are doing (keeping up, playing, knowing what's what) you could have shown better performance.

Don't blame the format for your performance though, especially while the best players from back then are STILL doing well in the format. Just looks silly on your part.

dude
[insert 5x swear words here since pokegym would ban me]
you [more swears] you dont know what a good formart is
you dont understand
that a game, NO matter if you scrub or Jason K
where you can go first
and lose
because YOUR oppoent went 2nd.
this format is luck
if you dont agree with it
you have a mental condition.

i never whined or complained that i missed cut. i think it's a generally accepted fact that this format sucks, which is why i haven't played in so long, which is why i didn't know what cards did. i was actually pointing out that it was funny that i won at all since i didn't know what the cards did. also, i didn't even make my own deck list.

way to completely perceive everything incorrectly...

dude
[insert 5x swear words here since pokegym would ban me]
you [more swears] you dont know what a good formart is
you dont understand
that a game, NO matter if you scrub or Jason K
where you can go first
and lose
because YOUR oppoent went 2nd.
this format is luck
if you dont agree with it
you have a mental condition.

I know there's luck involved, but to say the entire format is based on luck is simply whining. I got uxie donked twice in a row at CC's, but that doesn't mean the format has gone south. Wait till B/W comes out then you can whine.

Pre-nats format has been just fine, otherwise the top players wouldn't be the highest ranked, so your argument that it's all luck is moot.

I know there's luck involved, but to say the entire format is based on luck is simply whining. I got uxie donked twice in a row at CC's, but that doesn't mean the format has gone south. Wait till B/W comes out then you can whine.

Pre-nats format has been just fine, otherwise the top players wouldn't be the highest ranked, so your argument that it's all luck is moot.

ask steve silvestro what he thinks of the format, since you know all the top players so well.

ask steve silvestro what he thinks of the format, since you know all the top players so well.

Yeah, because he got 2nd due to luck :thumb: Oh wait, it's because he's a skilled player who knew the metagame and played accordingly.

Same reason Jayson Harry, Alex Fields, and Dylan Lefavour won regionals too right? Since it's all luck based?

Your argument about it being that luck based is absurd when the top players are still winning.

Yeah, you can lose because your opponent donked you, that doesn't reflect the format as a whole.

theres no reason to argue with a child.
we just got pokegym trolled lol.
and i would care to see how many times those players went first or second, or if they flipped heads on SSU, reversal, fainting spell, or they top decked something

just saying.
i havent played in a year or practiced
and my perforamnce on saturday was all luck

and it is a luck game
its a card game
all card games are more luck than skill, this one right now is 70-30 ez

Yeah, because he got 2nd due to luck :thumb: Oh wait, it's because he's a skilled player who knew the metagame and played accordingly.

Same reason Jayson Harry, Alex Fields, and Dylan Lefavour won regionals too right? Since it's all luck based?

Your argument about it being that luck based is absurd when the top players are still winning.

Yeah, you can lose because your opponent donked you, that doesn't reflect the format as a whole.

i have no idea who anyone you just named is. probably because they only got good in the past year or 2 since cards have been donkified.

point proven.

Steve got 2nd at regionals, then made a post on FB last night about how terrible and luck based this format is.

Kyle Sabelhaus got 3rd at regionals and posted on facebook last night that this is the worst pokemon season in history.

all of your arguments are horrible and moot. the top players DO think this format is terrible and luck based.

i have no idea who anyone you just named is. probably because they only got good in the past year or 2 since cards have been donkified.

point proven.

Steve got 2nd at regionals, then made a post on FB last night about how terrible and luck based this format is.

Kyle Sabelhaus got 3rd at regionals and posted on facebook last night that this is the worst pokemon season in history.

all of your arguments are horrible and moot. the top players DO think this format is terrible and luck based.

this post wins.

im sorry but if you think you are legit good in this format,
youre just legit lucky.

[quote="Steve Silvestro's Facebook]It used to be that "getting outplayed" in Pokemon meant that the other player had built a better deck, had better strategy, thought more turns ahead, etc.

Now, "getting outplayed" simply means the other player got a better 7 starting cards.

FIX THIS FORMAT[/quote]

how much more can i win?

lol you should see the nostalgia session we had on Steve's facebook last night... decks used to take much more skill than they do now. Steve got T1'd twice in one match in top cut at FL states, isn't 2/3 supposed to account for that kind of crap?

games aren't supposed to be over before you even get to draw a card... I went 4-4 this weekend, two of those losses were before I got to play, one was because I got a horrid start and came back from being down 6-1 and only lost because of time, and would have won the other one if I hit a single fainting spell heads... and I NEVER play this game. I basically picked up Gengar the day before and made maybe two misplays the whole day, and I definitely wouldn't call myself a good player right now (I used to be, I promise).

Skill obviously matters, just so much less than in other formats.

I agree with the arguements against austino. This format sucks! I t4'd this regionals and i totally agree this format is bad. I dont consider myself a GREAT player, but i know when people like zach and bobby are breaking even this format is trash.

Not to jump on the bandwagon but I t'4ed this weekend and i despise this format. I was LUCKY enough to run well for 2 days. By "running well" I mean 80% of my games i started with a collector/decent starter.And because I run 40 basic Pokemon lol I started almost every game with at least 2 basics. Hate running so many basics, but it did help me from getting t'1ed all weekend. And once I actually got to PLAY A REAL GAME I remembered why I liked Pokemon so much and how much fun it can be. And I won more of those games then I lost fwiw.

The format has become a joke- way too luck based and sp is just too danm good. The 1st 7 cards usually determines who wins. That and who goes 2nd.That's not a healthy format .The holon engine was great, but every deck could use it! NOT sp- not only are they some of the strongest Pokemon/prize takers ever but they also have this broken trainer engine only they can use. Stupid,like g/g on steriods!

Between sp, machamp and gengar I am just over the unbalanced cards and have never more looked forward to a rotation then I am this year. And to think things are going to get worse before they get better- that's almost scary :(

Oh yeah, great seeing you and Bobby, Zach. Same with your mom and brother, Bobby ;)

@ austino: quit while your behind. We are all singing the same tune for a reason- because it's true! Worst format ever!

Just sayin'

Last edited:
Back