Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New ideas for stopping turn 1 wins

sleep lock

Alright so here is what happened I sat down for game 1 today at battle roads and I started amazing. So I ask my opponent heads or tails so he calls heads and I flip and sure enough heads... So I was ok because I started yanma which has 50 so I thought I was fine. So he collects get tyrogue benches retreats his active plus power junk arm then plus power again and punch for ko. I was mad this is not even right going to first is to much of an advantage and I went all wins for the rest of the tournament. Now because the person I lost to was not the best he did bad and I am a fairly good and skilled player i had to play down and this stopped my from top cutting and I know I would have won had a been able to live the first turn. Now I would like to start a thread with ideas to stop this from happening like making it to where you can not do damage with an attack your first turn or simply you can not do any attack your first turn. You still can play supporters and trainers to get you set up but you can not beat your oppenent before they can even draw a card. Now I would like this to be applied so much because I have read about multiple high level and very skilled players losing to not as skilled or new players because they got to go first I would like to see a change because I think there could be a much better system than what it is now. So please feel free to discuss your thoughts with me and what you think could be changed and who knows maybe we can get a change to balance out the game. Thanks for taking the time to read my article :thumb:.

You can not control what you draw into and i would have been fine but he did 50 turn 1 which is shouldnt be happening and i know im not the only one that hates donks.

We need to stop beating this dead horse. This has been looked at top bottom and sideways and we still have nothing to show for it. If pokemon really wanted to get rid of turn 1 wins they would stop printing cards like zekrom and tyrogue. If you have a problem with donks run a deck with only 4 reshi and 4 zekrom and if thats not what you want to do then learn to deal with it.

No I took tyrogue out of all of my decks because I hate the idea of not getting to play a single turn on eithe players side if he is better than me he should beat me in a game that both players atleast have a turn
Posted with Mobile style...

The same thing happened to me against a Haymaker deck back in the days of Rocket edition. It happens.

You can not control what you draw into and i would have been fine but he did 50 turn 1 which is shouldnt be happening and i know im not the only one that hates donks.

T1 Zekrom for 120 (240 against Yanma!) is possible too. Even a T1 Tornadus hitting for 80. It happens....with the right combination of cards.

The bigger picture of your scenario, sleep lock, is that your opponent's initial cards were:

1. Their starter pokemon
  2. Probably an energy to attach and retreat it
  3. Pokemon Collector
  4. Plus Power
  5. Junk Arm
  6. Junk Arm fodder
  7. Junk Arm fodder
  8. Their draw card

Not impossible, but not highly likely either.
Also risk of not going first, risk of you having a benched Pokemon or starting a 60HP basic, risk of Tyrogue being prized.

It happens. I play Yanmega and love to start with Yanma, so I can sympathize.

For perspective, want to see a really broken format? This, at Spring 2011 Battle Roads. Emboar Ability should not be able to donk T1. (That's my 70HP Mr. Mime on the receiving end of Heat Crash.)

People are really trying to defend donks? Skill should determine who wins, not who can get the god hand and go first. If someone can ignorantly say , "Run more basics, that'll fix everything!", i can respond with, "No, how about the other player wins by outplaying the opponent? First turn rules need to be changed. It's awful that someone can win before you even get a turn

People are really trying to defend donks? Skill should determine who wins, not who can get the god hand and go first. If someone can ignorantly say , "Run more basics, that'll fix everything!", i can respond with, "No, how about the other player wins by outplaying the opponent? First turn rules need to be changed. It's awful that someone can win before you even get a turn

I don't think people are "defending donks" as much as they are saying that this has been discussed multiple times before and nothing has ever been suggested that fixes the problem which has been adopted by PCL and added to our rules.

Pokemon is a game of skill, but it's also a game of luck. Donks suck, but they exist. At least we don't have Sabledonk or Porydonk in the format which allow the player to win first turn, assure that they are going first, and play off a bad opening hand 7 out of 10 times.

I don't think people are "defending donks" as much as they are saying that this has been discussed multiple times before and nothing has ever been suggested that fixes the problem which has been adopted by PCL and added to our rules.

Pokemon is a game of skill, but it's also a game of luck. Donks suck, but they exist. At least we don't have Sabledonk or Porydonk in the format which allow the player to win first turn, assure that they are going first, and play off a bad opening hand 7 out of 10 times.

Oh I agree. It's been talked about way too much and I'm tired of it. However, it just doesn't feel right that people are responding with variations of "Get over it".

This really has to do with what is allowed to be played on first turn.
If we had a first turn that you can only play supports and not draw a card, if i recall right we have had a format like this or very close to it, many donks would be eliminated and first turn would not be such a power house for any deck. First turn already get to attach NRG first and evolve first.

You are always going to get exceptional donks like Tyrogue w/ 2 PP. That kind of donking has always existed in the game.

Anyone playing Tyrogue is running the risk of being donked themselves.

What we don't have any more are the easy donks we saw last format (Candy/BTS into big attacker going second, or Sableye under the BW rules). Right now, I don't think donking is a huge problem - it relies on you playing a lone weak Basic and/or the opponent having several key cards in hand. It's still going to happen from time to time, and it's still going to produce sour grapes. Unfortunately.

Well, actually the OP is right there has to done something about this.

When Machamp, Kingdra, Sableye, SP etc were around, I got donked about 4 times in a whole season.
Now I got donked 2 times in 2 tournaments, up to now. Seems like we have to expect to be only able to play 4 games in a 5-round-tournaments and hope that the donk doesn't happen before R3 cause this would mean bad resistance and 5th place. =/

I think you should be allowed to take your next turn if your only basic gets KOed on turn 1. You can't play any cards that reference a Pokemon in play, but still have a chance to use draw support in hopes of getting a basic. If you don't have a basic in play by the end of your turn, THEN you lose.

Well, actually the OP is right there has to done something about this.

When Machamp, Kingdra, Sableye, SP etc were around, I got donked about 4 times in a whole season.
Now I got donked 2 times in 2 tournaments, up to now. Seems like we have to expect to be only able to play 4 games in a 5-round-tournaments and hope that the donk doesn't happen before R3 cause this would mean bad resistance and 5th place. =/

I've already been donked twice in a row on the first turn at just one tournament. And every Pokemon in my deck is a basic.

And one of those matches if I had won the coin flip I would have just donked him.

I think you should be allowed to take your next turn if your only basic gets KOed on turn 1. You can't play any cards that reference a Pokemon in play, but still have a chance to use draw support in hopes of getting a basic. If you don't have a basic in play by the end of your turn, THEN you lose.

That would be an amazing rule change which would help so much because 8 of 10 times i start collector which saves me from getting donked and pokemon should be more skill instead of luck just because a bad player got lucky doesnt mean he should be able to have complete advantage over someone who has been playing for multiple years and is very experienced from a coin flip

Or, perhaps, neither player can attack on their first turn. 1turn setup for each player, then you start attacking.

Thanks I would rather see a comment like that then just one that says get over it thank you jjkkl
Posted with Mobile style...

Back