Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

11th at Worlds!

Jayson

First of all, I'd like to thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for blessing me with the skill needed to play this game at a high level. lol jk ;D

So this season has just been spectacular. I've done a lot of traveling, spent a lot of time with old friends, and met quite a few new ones. This was also the first year I managed to earn an invite to Worlds. So I booked a flight to Phoenix, where I grew up and where my family still lives. My first flight was from Louisville to Memphis. I sat next to a older homosexual man from Houston and we talked about where we were headed and where we were coming from and how crazy the world is. Then I caught my connection to Phoenix and sat next to a guy about my age who was from Mississippi. He was flying to Phoenix to see his girlfriend, and was planning on proposing to her. I wished him luck in his love endeavors and he wished me luck in my slightly more trivial Pokemon tourney as we went our separate ways. My dad and sister picked me up from the airport and we drove through the night out to San Diego, arriving at around 3 in the morning and parking at the marina near the SD Convention Center. My sister Alyson and I got out and walked around while my dad slept in the back seat. Eventually we ended up at the Hilton and ran into Fulop, Sami, and Chuck. This was my first time meeting Sami. He wasn't anything like what I would have imagined. I couldn't even tell if he had a British accent at first. :3

I got to work teaching Alyson how to play Pokemon with the help of some of the best pros in the game. They helped me fix up a Kingdra deck for her to play in the grinder later that morning. We all cracked jokes and goofed off until the sun came up, then Aly and I headed upstairs to get her registered for the grinder, while the guys headed off to get some sleep. I ran into lots of friends and caught up with people and played a few practice games with a gimmick deck I had been toying around with, Luxray/Cresselia. It was great because it had Luxray (bcif) and some other strong techs in it, but I almost never had a chance to get a Moon Skip off, so I gave the borrowed cards back to my friend Adrian and went back to practicing with Palkia/Luxray. The grinder started soon after and Alyson was up against an Abomasnow/Manectric/Nidoqueen which ended up taking her poor Kingdra deck to town with a four prize sweep when time was called. =< (Anyways she continues on through the grinder and ends up dropping after round 6, going 2 and 4. Not bad for her first tourney, after learning the game hours earlier.)

So while she was grinding, I caught up with my buddies from Colorado and we all try and figure out something new to play for Worlds because Palkia has absolutely zero surprise factor now, and Luxray is looking to be obscenely popular. We pick up our worlds goodie bags (which were amazing by the way - sooo cool) and I end up walking out into downtown San Diego with Ian and his lady friend Boot to find the Subway. The weather was gorgeous! I seriously envy Californians. Even the homeless ones. If I'm ever homeless, I've already picked out the perfect street corner in San Diego to camp out on. We also stopped by a Ralph's and sampled their fancy cheeses, and then it was back to the Hilton to see how the grinder was going. When we get back only one round had passed. This 8 round tournament was looking like it would take 10-12 hours. =/ We chill for a while, playtest a little with my Regigigas deck just for fun (lol) and root for Johnny Kettler who is having an amazing grind with Palkia. He is truly the very best, like no one ever was. I'm pretty much 100% in love with Worlds by now. What an amazing treat for us Pokemon players! This game is so good to us.

So the day wraps up with Fulop and I playtesting down in the lobby. He dominates me with this amazing Flygon variant that just lols at my petty power locking. I build a copy of it, and we playtest a little more up in the Craigs' room, but I just haven't had enough time with the deck to feel comfortable running it. After I leave their room I end up talking myself out of playing it. I run into Justin and Tracy from Michigan down in the lobby and hook them up with a ride back to their hotel, since they've been having some bad experiences with cab rides (and they're obscenely expensive in SD, apparently). I get back to my family's hotel around 2 and crash.

In the morning I'm up and feeling great. I get ready, dress up nice for my very first Worlds, and head back over to the Hilton with my family cheering me on. We all settle in for the player meeting and opening ceremonies. The announcers are soooooo goofy. :3 So here's the meat and potatoes of my report - the games!

Round 1 - Switzerland national champ with Porygon Z

I have a decent opening hand and start setting up Palkia for a nice long Mespirit lock. I make a mental note to attach only basic energies until his Lv.X is out already out. I kill a Baltoy. He candies into Porygon Z on the bench and learnings into the Lv.X. He can't draw into any new cards due to my power lock so he ends up missing some energy attachments and just learnings up a Palkia X GE on the bench. I kill his Pory Lv.X with Hydro Shot. He topdecks a call and attaches it to his lone Palkia and calls for another Baltoy and a Porygon. I Luxray up the Porygon and knock it out. I think he psy balanced with the Baltoy? I knock that out too. Then the Baltoy.

1-0

Round 2 - California player with Beedrill

My hand has Unown G, Uxie and Mesprit. I see I'm able to burn a lot of cards and get off a pretty big Set Up so I put Unown G as my active. He mulligans and on his second hand complains about his bad start. When we flip he has a lone Unown G, which I would have had the outs to knock out on T1 easily. =< Oh well. I get off to a decent start, spray his early Azelf, knock out a Weedle and he never sets up a Claydol, but gets off a couple huge Set Ups of his own and double drawers, then double drawers again, and sets up a flutter wings bee and a band attack bee, and swings at my Luxray for 60. I poketurn to heal, and hit the attack bee back for 60. He retreats to an Uxie or something and I knock it out. I take a couple more prizes off of sacrifices and he isn't topdecking anything spectacular so he scoops. After the game I find out that he runs only 1-1 Claydol and no SSUs. Ouch!

2-0

Round 3 - French dad with Machamp

I open with Mespirit. Lame. He gets T2 Claydol but his first Cosmic only nets him a Machoke, which I bright look and KO. I guard an Uxie and Crobat and just get to work tediously knocking out his Machamps. He double drawers at one point and I cringe, expecting a bubble coat or something similarly unpleasant for my Machamp strategy, but all he gets is another Champ + candy. I psyrestore a Machamp for 50 and put the Uxie on bottom, sending out Crobat. He attaches and hurricane punches, but only does 10 after resistance. I retreat to my guarded Uxie, level up and KO with Zen Blade. He sends up an energyless Machamp which can't do anything to my guarded basic that turn. So I wail on it some more. I get down to two prizes left, take my fifth with a bright look, and my sixth with a Hydro Shot.

3-0

Round 4 - Sami with Flygon

I get off to an okay start but I think I had some energy issues? He gets one huge turn of powers but after that I lock him down and start knocking things out. His prizes were pretty bad - 2 candies, a Machamp and a Machop I think? At one point I triple flash bite and Hydro Shot his Flygon, which would have completely wrecked me if I had left it alone. He responds with a Machamp KO, but I have a guarded Uxie to deal with him. He goes for the hurricane punch and flips two heads. I level up and Zen Blade. He KOes with Nidoqueen. I don't have anything on my field that can deal with the Queen so I decide to go for a couple cheap KOs with bright look. I pull up Claydol and swing for 60. He doesn't have any way to get Claydol out of the active position that turn so he just folds. I'm not sure if I could have taken my sixth prize so easily - all of my poketurns were gone, but I could have let my Luxray X die and then recycled it with Aaron's for the last prize. But he just scoops instead of drawing things out. Great game though. Sami is so sophisticated!

4-0

Round 5 - British guy with Flygon

He sets up a Mewtwo X before I can snipe it. I scoop. lol.

4-1

Round 6 - Chris Fulop with Flygon

He starts with a Ditto to my ridiculous opening hand of Palkia, Turn, Turn, Gain, Gain, Gain, and something else equally useless. I topdeck a call going first and He has both of his Lv.Xes prized and keeps drawing garbage off of his Cynthias. =< This sucks because the SP matchup should be a cakewalk for him - it definitely was when we were testing the previous night. Next turn I get an Uxie, empty my hand as best I can, and draw into zero outs to get a water energy. So I attach a call to my benched Luxray and have to pass. He gets a good sized Mimic off of my lousy hand, but apparently isn't drawing into anything useful. I manage to get things going on my side and take a few KOs here and there, while his Cynthias keep disappointing him. I'm a few prizes up and time is running out so he just scoops.

5-1

Round 7 - Japanese player with Luxray Infernape

He mulligans and I see an energy pickup and bucks in his hand. So I try my best not to make any assumptions about his list based on what is normally run here in the US. His start is a Bronzong, and I get set up fairly well and have the Toxicroak ready to KO his first Luxray X. Then I get my Azelf MT into play and start beating up on stuff. The match was fairly one-sided.

6-1

Top 32 - Dante from Argentina with Palkia

We get random deck checked and end up with a 13 minute time extension on our match. I guess I didn't shuffle well enough after the deck check because my hand is absolute garbage. I scoop game 1 in less than ten minutes, and make sure my deck is better shuffled for game 2. I start off slow, holding an Uxie and some other goodies in hand until he runs out of Mespirits (which happened on T3 - I sprayed one on T2 but he dropped another anyways). We both set up our Palkia Lv.Xes and hit each other back and forth, then he snipes mine and I KO his with a bite from a basic Luxray, while getting Azelf MT into play on the same turn. He has no energy in play, so I don't get attacked that turn. He attaches to a Palkia and passes. I bright look it up and 1-hit it, and he's back to no energy in play. Then I take another prize on a random sacrifice. After I've taken four prizes and a time warning is announced, he scoops to get us into game 3 with him being able to choose whether to go first or second. I get 3 SPs in play on my first turn, with one spray in hand. He has a Raichu active and drops down Azelf. I let it go. He drops Mespirit. I let it go. He empties his hand and drops Uxie. I spray, and he's left with a 1 card hand. He proceeds to dead draw for several turns while I get completely set up. I figure he probably isn't going to get much going with a bench full of useless jank, so I go ahead and get as much stuff onto my field as I can before I start taking prizes. I'm up a prize or two when our time extension runs out, and it's my turn so I just end my turn for the win.

7-1

So I make it to day two! But the night is still young so I go out with some friends to a barbeque place. We get our pictures taken with a creepy cartoon pig sign. On the walk back, we cross paths with a cute little cockroach and one of my friends stomps on it. RIP la cucaracha =< We head back to the Hilton to try and swim, but the pool is closing right after we get in. So we go up to Jimmy's room and I try to get a little less soggy, then we go to a party and I get to watch a video of a certain 5867-time world champion kissing boys. How cute :3 One of the guys staying in that room needs to get some sleep for top 16 the next day, and I figure I should probably follow suit, so I head back to my hotel and crash (again).

Next morning, I'm up bright and early making sure I look spiffy for my impending autoloss. I get there a little early and get my picture taken with the inflatables, decorations, and any friends I can manage to round up.

Top 16 - Sebastian Crema from Canada with Flygon

He gets Mewtwo X out turn 2 both games. We're the first ones up from our top 16 games because I scoop as soon as he shows me the X. I guess I could've sat around and waited to make sure he didn't have, like, all of his psychic energies prized or something, but I didn't feel like drawing out the inevitable. Both games I had great starts, and I definitely could've dealt with the Mewtwo if I had one more turn, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

7-2

The first thing I pull out of my goodie bag is a Mewtwo hat. :3 I wear it for a while, to be ironic. Not sure if anyone got the joke. I spend the rest of the morning playing league games to try and win some extra sleeves or maybe one of those neat ultra ball playmats. I whiff and just end up with a bunch of foreign packs. I get a few of my friends to play other non-pokemon games like Set, Blink, and Guillotine, and watch some of the finals. Then me, Jimmy, Tracy, and my family head down to the beach right on the border with Mexico. The waves were huge and awesome and the water was great and I didn't get eaten by sharks, not even once. It was strange, our side of the beach was completely deserted but the Tijuana side was crowded and they had music playing. I went over and talked through the fence to a guy named Julio. I tried speaking a little Spanish but probably sounded very foolish. Conversely, Julio spoke English very well. I'm such a language noob =< It wasn't long before the border patrol cruised by in a Jeep and honked at me to get away from the fence. The whole border situation is just so silly when you see it with your own eyes instead of just hearing about it in the debates and on the news. Whoever invented these imaginary lines and decided you can't cross them if you were born on a certain side? It just seems so absurd to me. In any case, the fence wasn't even all that great. I could probably fit through if I lost like five pounds. I saw little kids running through the bars, dancing around a bit on the American side, then running back over to their side. It reminded me of playing tag with bases as a kid, and how you would sometimes let go of the base to taunt whoever was "it" and then run back to the base when they came to chase you. So cute :3

So the beach closed at 7 and we headed back into town. We hopped into the jacuzzi at the Hilton, then into the pool, then back into the jacuzzi. Tracy taught Jimmy and me how to do towel turbans with our wet hair. Picture opportunities ensued. After we cleaned up from swimming, we headed out into town to find some dinner, ending up at Sushi Itta where I tried plum sake for the first time. So good! After dinner I had to say my goodbyes because my family had to be back in Arizona in time for church the next morning. Ugh, I wish I could've stayed for ever. Such an amazing weekend.

Props:
Everyone and everything!
Thank you so much to Pokemon International for hosting such an amazing event and taking such great care of your players. And thank you so much to the worlds staff that worked so hard to make this weekend possible. And thank you to all of my friends and opponents, and even everyone I haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet. You're amazing and I love you all.
A few particular people that I would like to mention by name: Chris, Sami, Jimmy, Tracy, Justin, Ian, Bret, Adrian, Colin, Anthony, Taylor, Clay, Vince, and my family. You all made this weekend extra special for me and I will have so many fond memories and fun stories to tell for years to come. lovelovelove etc.
Oh and a huge prop to the free vegetable juices in the main hall all weekend. I drank way too many :3

Slops:
Mewtwo.
Naw, not really. He's a cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything.

Last edited:
Awesome season Jayson. I would've loved to see you go further in cut-but I love Sebastian too! Many congrats on a wonderful season and I look forward to testing with you more this next year.

Wonderful Job! You are one of the most talented players this game has to offer.

I hope we can play at many many Cities/Battleroads this year too =)

ttys!!

~Colin

Congrats on a great season Jayson. You bring alot to the community. I thank you for all that you do.

Keith

Well done jayson! I didn't get to meet you which sucked (to prove that i exist, you were wearing red and black i think? lol) but great job. Bad T16 beat!

Sucks that you didn't go all the way. I was really hoping that you would take masters, and that z-man would take seniors. Oh well... such is life.

Maybe next year I'll actually get to meet you somewhere? :p

I'm pretty sure we shouldn't be discussing any of the noodly appendage happenings from Worlds: they likely violate the code of conduct.

None the less, awesome job Jayson :)

( It was either congratulate you, or use this space as my 723462635th "I told you so" about needing a Mewtwo counter...I swear, 1-1 Mewtwo guaranteed minimum 4-3 at that tournament by itself! Dialga was a really good play for that tournament, actually )

I regret not getting a chance to play any of the non-Poke games this weekend...its just tough as I'm friend hopping alot and trying to get to see everyone I possibly know that I only get to see once or twice a year.

You made the right deck choice IMO. I feel Flygon Machamp is a better deck, but you knew Palkia inside and out, and had effectively one night to "wing it" with Flygon. This format benefits experience and matchup knowledge SO much, familiarity with a deck ranks high on the list of priorities when choosing a deck for Worlds this time.

Abomasnow/Manectric/Nidoqueen
Did your sister also encounter an ampharos in that deck? I played a kid with an amphy/queen/obama/manectric deck in round 4.

Your sister was cool! I talked to her round 1 of the grinders, and she said she was your sister. Nice job placing well at worlds and at nats. You should've came up to 1401 more!

Man, great job Jayson. Nice to see your support in the grinder, and great to see you made such a Splash(ing Turn) this season!

Aww... I didn't know your sister played in the grinder. That's so cute! ^_^

Anyways though, you did an amazing job! I really wish I could have gone with you to see you play, but trust me when I say that I was anxiously awaiting your texts all day to hear how you were doing.
Next year I'll have a job and enough money to fly out with you, because you're definitely going to get top four at Nats and get a free trip. :D

But yeah, you are the reason I did as well as I did in my first season of play, and I can't thank you enough. I'm glad you had such an awesome time at your first Worlds and that you got to see all your family and friends in Arizona again, but I'm still looking forward to seeing you again when you get back to Owensboro. You're an amazing dude! :)

Hey Jayson, I'm the random guy that came up to you and said "So your Jayson" haha
Anyways congrats on your placing at worlds :)!!!!!

Congrats as always Jayson.

You simply have proven yourself this year as being one of the best.

An honor to deal with you as always!

Hope to see you Friday!!!

Vince

hey jayson 1st off congrats to your great season. and now i have some questions is the last 2 events hard nationals and world???

Last edited:
Magnechu: Thanks buddy, I honestly owe a lot of my success to testing with you and Kettler this year. You guys are SO good at this game and I learn so much every time we play. And Sebastian is a stand-up guy and I'm not sour at all about top 16. He was really cool.

Jaeger: Thanks buddy and big congrats on third! I really hope I can make it to Hawaii next year too! You should come down to a St. Louis tourney some time so I can steal some of your epic rating points ;D

swanton1717: Colin, you're the best! I was bummed that I didn't get to say goodbye. Wish I could've stayed one more night to see everyone up in 1401. I'm sure I'll be seeing you again soon though. Lots of love from KY!

Lawman: Thanks Keith, that really means a lot to me coming from one of the best judges and one of the smartest guys in this game. Always great to see you and always enlightening to read your posts here on the gym. Seeya soon.

Ariadosman: I still don't believe you! nanananananana I'm not listening. ;D

DarthPika: Thanks. How come you weren't at worlds? San Diego is goooorgeous!

prodigal_fanboy: haha thanks, I like to goof around with these reports. Glad to see it was appreciated. I like your sense of humor good sir! We definitely gotta meet up at the next big event.

MadHatter: I learn from the best! Remember when you crushed me at SoCal Regionals my first year? Totally blew me away, and inspired me to build my own version of Rgon for nationals that year. And I think that went fairly well, yes? :3

Ruiner! Oh Fulop I adore you. You are hands down the coolest person playing this game. Alyson thought so too. I really look up to you and am always rooting for you at like, everything. I totally understand the friend hopping, and I have the same dilemma, so many people to see and so little time. But we did have time for that one 4am chess game, and now I can pretty much brag to everyone about 3-0ing you at chess :3 Anyways looking forward to some more noodly happenings in the future, if you know what I mean ;D

ryanvergel: Totally whiffed on meeting you this past weekend! I'm pretty sure we were within 10 feet of each other like three times but I didn't even know what you looked like, haha. Alyson doesn't remember what was in the deck. She doesn't even know what any of those cards did lol. But yeah she remembers you and says hi and thanks for the props.

Cyrus: Johnny! Awesome grind, trainer. I ran into some random senior division kids from your area and they were all singing your praises and I was like yeah, that's my buddy! Seeya on apprentice I'm sure =D

Emily_Tranny: Yay you finally got on the gym! You're an official pokemon player now! ;D You've been my partner in crime all season and I've never been more proud of anyone else's performance than when you made top 32 at nats. In her first year, everyone! I brag about you all the time. You are just so cool. We're going to have an awesome season next year! Seeya when I get home.

dtrain: A lot of people did that haha, can you be more specific? And thanks for the congrats =D

meganium45: I gotta work Friday =< But I'm sure I'll be up in your neck of the woods for Battle Roads! Can't wait to see you guys again. Shaking your hand and seeing your smile after I made it to day 2 was sooo encouraging to me. I really look up to you sir and I hugely appreciate everything you do for this game. Best PTO ever! And you were so right about that Flygon/Machamp build, it just needed a little TLC and worlds-tweaking, and now it's the Masters 2nd place deck! I think you and your kids should definitely have the right to some I-told-you-so's for me next time I'm around.

pokemonrocks777: You spelled my name wrong! =<

FULOPS the coolest?! glad to know where we stand Jay!

It was such a blast meeting you brother, hanging with you and your sister, was among the most fun i had in San Diego. Make sure you get to Hawaii, and bring Aly too!

Great Job!

Good job! When I saw you I knew I recognized you. I said to myself "that kid played in AZ tournies before, right?"

Sorry I never said hi, too busy with the Japanese traders, haha.

It cost me my DSi for this type of praise kids!

The chess is TILTING me too! I always feel good about my openings and end up struggling midgame. That last game it was pretty apparent what happened with my lack of queen side development pretty much cutting off my end game, especially once you blocked me in more thoroughly. I'm pretty sure I know, to a degree, what is handicapping me too. Besides being rusty ( SO rusty ) I'm used to only playing against bad players, so I try too aggressively to push an offense early...which leaves my board off balance against better players who it is much less likely to work on. So I have to shy away from that mistake. I'll get some more practice in and return the 3-0 next time ;)

P.S.- Tat > You :D

Back