Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

1st at El Paso CC w/vilegar

So the night before we were originally suppose to take 3 masters including me, and 2 juniors but someone couldn't find there important papers (huy) so we had to leave him behind! Sad but true ;( so we get to El Paso at about 10 but the hotel didn't get our reservation, so we drove around for almost two hours looking for a cheaper hotel but turns out even though the hotel didn't get our reservation it was cheaper. So we head back and stay at the Hawthorne! At about 1 mikey and I decide to test play, we both being tired didn't play to our best but we knew we needed some knowledge of what to do and what to play. The next morning we wake up on time but we didn't leave the hotel when we wanted to, so we leave like 25 minutes before the tourney starts and I was fearing a first round loss. Thankfully we made it but I was the only one who there decklist ready to go I register and help mikey fill out his sister and brother's decklist,and we all made it on time. I wanted to play dialgachomp but seeing me lose to both gyarados's in New Mexico really made me think hard of playing it, it turns out all the thinking opted me toward vilegar a deck I said previously sucked but if you know me it's very quick to change my mind! Or in other words I pretty much say everything sucks unless it's magmortar infernape but that's another story! Going into the tournament u thought el paso would be swarmed with gyarados but apparently I was wrong, you guys well see!

The tornament starts 5 rounds top 4 if you don't already know I am from New Mexico!

Round 1 ??? w/BLG with gengar SF
We sit down and shuffle up and I saw a couple cards and it was SP so the first step to this battle was to get vileplume. I open with a god hand spiritomb,gastly, psychic, and oddish with a few search supporters! He flips over lone garchomp I go first and darkness grace into a gloom. He attaches Cyrus for supporter and trainer and in my head I was like thank you for loading up your hand. He claw swipes for 10. I top deck vileplume and collector for uxie, gastly, and unown q play gastly and set up for 5,get haunter and gengar quick the spiritomb and poltergeist for 120! He brings up a blaziken doesn't have the fire and passes, I just roll him from this point on!

1-0

Round 2 ??? w/umbreon UD, sableye, weavile, and giritina
I really hated this deck he disrupted me every turn! The thing that hurt me the most was I didn't start tomb so he got to play all his trainers. It takes him a while to set up since his main focus was to disrupt me, he belted an umbreon which threatned me since I had nothing going. Since he played all his trainers I didn't even opt to get vileplume just focused on gengar. I start shadow rooming all his powers to take some cheap prizes. He was more afraid to attack gengar with umbreon since he had a belt, he was using sneasal to take some prizes but I got heads on fainting spell to end that thanks to my rescues I stayed in the game! Late game when we both had one prize each he knocks out my gengar with umbreon so I get heads on fainting spell and we go into sudden death!

Sudden death- I was so scared because he had donking ability but I start dito to his sableye he goes first and passes of course I was relievedhe didn't get the donk and he forgot to impersonate! My turn I attach to gastly collector for unown Q, uxie and mesprit. I psychic which was the best play of my life I impersonate with ditto for bebe's and get haunter. He sets down all his powers and u said I psychic binded you he, impersonates for judge and I get the best hand. I play broken for haunter seeker my uxie set up for 6 and get gengar to shadow room his powers he then tried to stall by impersonating seeker I pick up mesprit each time this happens about 3 times until he runs out of seekers. I shadow room weavile for game!

Round 3 ??? w/Chenlock
This game I open up with the worst hand in the world! I start oddish and unown q to his garchomp. I go first and pass. I am sitting there and decide that I lost, he earthquakes for knockout. I draw gastly bebe's for spiritomb and darkness grace for haunter. He pokemon collector's for uxie, chatot g, and crobat. Be disrupting spy's and earthquake's again. He gave me a oddish I evolve into gengar and darkness grace into gloom he knocks me out but I top deck uxie and start going to work! I shadow room chatot g. He is trainer locked so he had no choice but to bebe's for garchomp c lv.x and does 80 to gengar. I level up, and level down his garchomp and shadow room his uxie. He retreats his garchomp brings up uxie levels up and he didn't get the double so he does psychic restore for 20 I level down and from here I just roll him he did however bring it to 1-1 due to my poor start.

3-0

Round 4 ??? w/BLG with gengar SF
This game was a lot different he tried to overwhelm me with blaziken but I just played around luring flame under trainer lock his deck was worthless and I just rolled him with poltergeist. At times I was stuck when he killed my vileplume but at that point I was up 4 prizes and shodow roomed his bronzong g for the win!

4-0

Round 5 jesse ??? w/vilegar
At this point I thought I was the only undefeated apparently not! We sit down and shuffle up I know how to play the mirror because I briefly test played against it the night before so I had an idea if what I was doing! We both open tomb but he had the advantage of darkness gracing first. I draw, bebe's for gastly and darkness grace to haunter. He evolves to gengar prime retreats spiritomb seekers my haunter and hurls into darnkness my haunter. I was suprised and a little intimidated I play gastly collector for two gastly's and an uxie play one gastly and set up for 5, I attach to gastly and darkness grace to haunter. I misplayed and didn't play the gastly he didn't draw another energy so he hurled into darkness my gastly! I quick my tomb attach to gengar since I top decked it and poltergeisted for 60. He attaches an energy and cursed drop 4 on gengar. I set up another gengar and proceed to poltergeist for 60. He retreats it and shadow rooms my gengar putting it a 100! I retreat seeker and play it all back down, I shadow room his gengar. He shadow rooms mine, then I proceed to knockout his gengar with shadow room. He then curse drops my gengar I retreat then poltergeist for 90. From here can't recover but tries to stall out pidgeot by using headwind. Next turn I attach and shadow room his uxie's tell I drew all my prizes.

5-0 GG

I finish undefeated in Swiss making me top seed. worst news of the day mikey was fourth meaning we would have to play each other.

Mikey doesn't want to play me knowing my decklist he knows how I can beat him.

Game 1 jose (mikey) w/gyarados
I thought this game was auto win for me but it was not as easy as it seems he got a two prize lead on me before I got my first gengar. We exchanged prizes before I rolled tails on fainting spell he was up one prize. I couldn't recover due to the lack of energy! Passed 3 times before I got a psychic at that point he only had one prize left. He two hit KO'ed me for the game.

(5-0) 0-1

Game 2
I set up
Got vileplume out fast, what hurt him the most was turn one psychic bind and double tomb. He couldn't regi-move so he collectored again. I quicker my tomb got gengar out and shadow roomed regice. At this point he regi moved two carps and tail revenged me for 60. I set up another gengar and proceed to knockout regice. He had no other way of discarding trainers so I easily take game 2.

(5-0) 1-1

Game 3
He starts combee and regice to my double tomb, I turn one psychic bind and proceed to darkness grace to haunter. Basically my double tomb and mesprit stalled his set up. I shadow regice and win due to him not being able to discard trainers.

(6-0) 2-1

Top 2 Jesse ??? w/vilegar

Game 1
I open tomb and gastly and basically run through his gengar and powers to take game 1!

(6-0) 1-0

Game 2
Is basically our Swiss game only got the prime and one SF on me!

(7-0) 2-0

I take El Paso city's with a lot of close games, but due to smart playing and chocalate milk I maintained focus and dominate El Paso! Thanks to everyone who read and good luck to everyone for the rest of the city tournaments!

Props:
Winning city's
Chocolate milk
Great pulls in my half box
Mikey's parents for taking having me on there trip
Ale for winning but it should have been Bryan
Diane for a great tournament
El Paso for having a great turn out
And Dr. Pepper for being always tasty

Slops:
Playing Mikey in top 4

Last edited:
By leaving someone behind, did you mean you left someone behind without them knowing. And was it a junior? Just wondering lol.

GJ btw, Vilegar was a great play.

No it was a master and he couldn't go because he couldn't find his green card! The person who drove didn't want to risk getting stopped and him being deported he was mad about it.
And thanks I was mainly scared of gyarados!

The TO was "Grace" not Diane. LOL I cant believe you mention what happened to Huy. I hope people dont think he is illegal. He just didnt know where his proof of residentsy was, and we cant wait to long to look for it.
And it would of been funny if Bryan did win Citys. He was really close to winning Ale.

Good report. Just a little to much info before the tournament. LOL

Minor errors! And I added it because I thought it was funny and maybe others might as well. But I of course felt really bad for huy knowing that it would have been his first time traveling ;(

Why would someone lose there only ID of citizenship lol he coudve always use a grass energy as backup lol kk gj on win now come to Arizona and play lol no out of state players yet =(

Congrats Kaleb and Ale!! Bryans turn is next! I wish i could have been there to see it!
Huy will have to make the next trip....you should try to make the 8th and 9th in Az.
See you all soon!

Back