Magneton (#9/102)
Mewtwo (#10/102)
Nidoking (#11102)
Ninetales (#12/102)
Poliwrath (#13/102)
Raichu (#14/102)
Venusaur (#15/102)
Zapdos (#16/102)

The Machamp is a true 1st edition SHADOWLESS card - Not the 1st edition card from the starter's set that EVERYONE has. THIS particular card is as rare as the others in the set.

These cards are ALL English.
These cards are ALL 1st edition.
These cards are ALL PSA ( 9 - MINT) sealed for authenticity, item protection and proof of the cards Mint condition status.

I know that the 1st edition base set cards are worth A LOT more than all the other standard cards, because these cards were produced in limited quantity and they were all sold before Pokemon became a craze in North America back in 1999. I know that PSA 9 and 10 cards are worth A LOT more than PSA 8 or lower cards (and of course these cards are a lot more expensive than cards that have not been professionally sealed and authenticated).

Forget WHERE these cards are coming from - let's assume you KNOW that these cards are coming from a very trustworthy seller.

Realistically, how much does a set of these cards tend to sell for, both as a set and individually?

Last edited:
Is the ninetales the misprint one? I don't remember which printing received the misprint ninetales, but if it was 1/e I'd assume that card alone would be worth quite a bit.

The Ninetales is not an error card. It is my understanding that the misprint you are referring to was with a few Nintales that didn't have the "80" listed next to the Fire Blast attack, correct? Well this Nintales definitely has the 80 listed. To my knowledge none of the cards in this set are error cards. They are simply 1st edition, PSA-9 Mint graded, error-free cards!

So, anyone have any idea what these cards realistically sell for both individually and as a set? (Assuming that the cards are being sold by a highly trustworthy seller)

Nice another psa pokemon memeber :cool: alright well the price on these is difficult to gauge because not many sets as a whole have been sold, and certainly not now in this garbage economy. Currently there are a few sets on ebay that are both psa 9 and 10, they are also first edition but I would honestly say that you should expect around $600-1,000.

I know a few people who are really into grading cards and one of them is on ebay with a psa 10 1st ED set but a price for this economy I would say is about $600-$1,000.

And what do the cards tend to get individually?

I was thinking that maybe each of the cards was worth about $50, with perhaps Venusaur being about $60, Blastoise being about $75 and Charizard being about $250.

So, individually, that would be worth

50 x 13 = 650 + 60 + 75 + 250 = $1,035

But, obviously, if you can sell in bulk you allow a discount... because it is much easier to actually sell all your cards this way. So I was thinking that perhaps the whole set was worth around $800, realistically (sold together), which is exactly the middle of the price range that you gave.

Most importantly, do you think the value of this set will go up or down in the years to come?

This set also has a lot of sentimental value to me, so I will probably never sell it, but I can't help but be curious.

Last edited:
The 1st ed 16 holo card set, I would say is the most valuable set that has ever come from a pack/box. a PSA-9 set should be worth two to three times more than it being ungraded and a glorious gem10 should be worth five times more than an ungraded set; though as Scott said we are living in a garbage economy. Though as a collector of high end Pokemon cards and a member of PSA, I get my cards graded to add 'class' and I have no desire to sell any of my cards.

Yeah, I will almost certainly never be selling this set, but it's still fun to have a sense of how much it might be worth in the current market and what it might be worth in the future.

Just curious, do you yourself as a high-end collector have this set (PSA-9 1st edition Holo base set)?

I know that at the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM there are only 40 such sets in the world (this is because with the 1st edition Magneton alone, only 40 have been graded 9 or higher - according to PSA). On average, there are about 50 of each of these cards in the world with a PSA-9 or higher rating. The exception is Charizard, of which there have been about 200 graded PSA-9 or higher.

So realistically, if 40 is the MAXIMUM number of such sets in existence, there are probably only about 10 such 'complete sets' in the world with all the 1st edition Holos graded PSA-9 or higher.

I am NOT selling my collection... but just out of curiosity, how much would a collector such as yourself be willing to pay for it?

Today ATM I wouldn't even put them up for sale since you'll likely lose a profit. a PSA9 16 holo set IMO is between $1500-$3,000 while a 10 is $3k-$6k, though not today sadly. No I do not have any Pokemon cards that come from packs so I do not have a 1st edition set of graded pokemon cards though IMO the 16 holo set that you have graded is the most valuable sort of set you can hope to grade that isn't in the realm of the promotional cards. I heard that like only four PSA10 sets exist in completion of what you have. It is very difficult to get the old cards graded high, I know I have a '97 No.1 trainer pika that got an 8 and that's a card that hardly anyone touches and yet it received an 8 but not complaining just stating.

No, Mozz let's be unrealistic. I am sick and tired of reality with all of its rules and restrictions.

Hopefully all the cards that we have will go back up in value or appreciation, in fact more so than ever before. As the ever so age old popular saying amongst cultivators of gardens goes ' mere survivability is not the term that is sought, thrive-ability is.'

You can't tell me this set is only worth $400 unless it is sold for $400 or less.

I actually just did some research into this on ebay and to my surprise a set EXACTLY like the one I have have recently sold for $989!

Item #: 400071642739

Maybe that buyer overpaid; if the value of the cards goes up 10 years from now, maybe not.

Also, there is a youtube user who says he looked for the best deals on individual cards and spent $957 to get this complete set, which he feels is a 'bargain'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPkTCZirsmY

---

So far the only complete set that I KNOW OF that has sold on ebay went for $989, and another person claims he spent $957 to put the set together piece by piece.

So yeah, it seems as if these completed PSA-9 graded 1st edition holo sets are quite valuable.

Last edited:
When did that set sell for 989 though, you really have to consider the market right now it is absolute garbage for sellers, but great for buyers :cool:

I am fairly certain that the set sold for $989 within the last 2 weeks.

I found it by typing in "Pokemon 1st edition", then clicking on "completed listings" - which only go back about 2 weeks, and then sorting that list by price.

So, is it rare to see the set sell for that much?

Can anyone find another example of a set such as this one being sold?

I dont know of any, not many sets are psa graded and especially a 10. I know more 1st ed sets that are but those are a different story.

If you thought $1400 was shocking, try this - one just sold on ebay this morning for $2500.

Check ebay's completed listing:

Item # 220494241535

---

I guess the theory that one would be lucky to sell it for $400 just flew out the window.

yeah i wonder who bought it, I would never pay that much for a psa 9 set, a 10 one maybe but that is a high price.

Given that the sets appear to have just sold for $1400 and a ridiculous $2500, I think it's fair to say that the true value of the set at the moment is at least $1000.

Back