Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

1st place BR Report (Yanmega/Groudon) [Finals Video Uploaded]

Hatter™

So, I returned from my vacation this week after missing the first two Battle Roads... we usually only get two, but, for some reason we were given a 3rd.. I was happy since that meant I was going to be able to play. I have really like GroudonEX since I first saw it... and figured why not play it. I was going to play QuadGroudon, however, after reading forum sites and all that cool stuff... I saw that Sableye-Crushing Hammer was picking up steam (along side T1 Darkrai).... Crushing Hammer is a big problem for GroudonEX.. so I thought of ways I could get around that.. Eel/Groudon... Landorus/Groudon... eh... then I looked in my binder and noticed Yanmega (Prime). That brought back memories of how about a year ago the format was about to be in for a culture shock in terms of Yanmega... now... while it does nothing these days.. I figured I would give it one last hurrah since it will more than likely be rotated after this season.

I was going to use 4 PONT and 3 Random Recceiver... but after seeing the uprise in Smeargle's... I figured 4 Receiver/3 PONT would be better.

We are about to leave... but my sister forgot her Shaymin (turns out it was in her deckbox haha)... we arrive and I meet up with some of my favorite peeps that I haven't seen in a while. Chill.. and get ready.

Round 1: Meganium/Mewtwo
I get Turn 2 Yanmega/Copycat for the next 3 turns.. along with a Judge.. and get some quick KO's so the energy movement won't stop me... he gets out a Mewtwo with 3 Energy to 2 shot me... but.. I drop my Mewtwo/DCE and ko his.. he had nothing after that.
[1-0]

Round 2: Lilligant/Vileplume
My dad has been playing this all year... I am never excited about battling him.. I go first and get Turn 2 Tromp.. he can't draw a Supporter and I am able to take out his Oddish before they become a threat.. being able to utilize my switches... I was able to control my board fairly well.. picking up the win.
[2-0]

Round 3: Smeargle/Darkrai
He goes 1st, but can not get the Turn 1 90.. I manage my hand well the whole game.. not having a Supporter in my hand for him to copy and am in control ... until ... I used Tromp on his DarkraiEX that had 150... but ... it had an Eviolite. :nonono: He took control from there after KO'ing my GroudonEX and picked up the easy win. I did a Moo-Moo Milk to try and stay in the game ... but .. Double Tails. That's fine.. I didn't deserve to win the game after my mistake.
[2-1]

I was very upset with myself... since ... the move I made was a terrible rookie mistake... I could only hope I would have a chance to redeem myself later..

Round 4: T2 Zoroark
I go first and attach to Groudon... pass. He doesn't have a good hand, but, does have TornadusEX and brings it out (after Catchering my GroudonEX) and does 30. I draw and Lost Remover him.. buying me some time.. and I would do catcher up his Sneasel and use Tromp. He would bring up TornadusEX again the next turn... while benching 2 Zorua and another Sneasel. He does 30 and I use Giant Claw for 60. He does 100 and I use Moo Moo for 1 Heads... I then KO him with Giant Claw. A few turns pass and my groudon has 10 HP left.. I drew a switch and used Dual Ball... 1 Heads.. I got a Shaymin... dropped a GroudonEX and used Switch.. then Shaymin... proceeded by a Max Potion on the damaged GroudonEX. I took out his Pokemon in One Hit after that.. finishing it off a few turns later when I brought up his DarkraiEX that he was forced to drop earlier to knock me out.
[3-1]

So.. I wait and see...
Top 2!

Finals: Darkrai/Smeargle
{The video for this will be up later... if anyone is interested}

Game 1: I go first and get GroudonEX going Turn 2... doing a good job of making sure I didn't have a Supporter in hand (via Junk Arm). A cruical Double Heads on Moo - Moo Milk allowed my GroudonEX to last longer and finish the job.

Game 2: I got donked :lol:

Game 3: I started first with T2 Tromp and no supporter... him 2 Darkrai.. he did 2x Dual Ball... getting Double Tails.. I never played a Supporter until I had to( had Random Receiver's in my hand).. just setting up a GroudonEX for the long hall... it ended up giving me the advantage and my first win an over a year! :thumb:

The Finals:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

Props:
~Arizona
~GroudonEX
~Connor & Albert & Guss
~Tyler for help with the list

Slops:
~Stupid misplay
~Max Potion in Zeels

Last edited:
...Slops:...
~Max Potion in Zeels

Indeed, that Zeel with Max Potion was a very difficult matchup for me, too. I would Night Spear the Tornadus EX or Mewtwo EX, he would retreat, Max Potion, Dynamotor energy back on, and it would soon be back to attack again and I would have to start damage all over again. I was really lucky to survive that game.

Anyway, congrats again on the win. :thumb:

Back