Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

1st Place Milwaukie, OR BR Master's Report

nicolerawr

So I'm mostly writing this report because Chris really wants me too. :) I went in pretty confident in our well built Jumpluff/Luxray list.

Sorry if I don't remember some of the details, I had a long, fun, weekend!

Round 1 Vs. LuxChomp

I was a little worried because I hadn't tested this matchup in quite a while, but I had a pretty good opening hand. I believe I started with a hoppip and a baltoy and a collector in hand. We both get set up pretty well and I start taking k.o.'s with Jumpluff. I set up multiple Claydols, knowing the Dragon Rush was inevitable, which really helped in the end. He sniped around my Jumpluff and bright looked one of my Claydols. At this point I have two Claydols on the field and I haven't used any warp points. So I start over extending and try to draw it. First cosmic: drew nothing. Second cosmic: Crap, Crap, Warp Point. Whew. The game was pretty close and came down to 1-1 prizes. But, I took the early lead and won with a mass attack. Good game.

Round 2 Vs. Kingdra Prime

So I end up going against Jacob. We play at league all the time, and I know this matchup can be tough since Kingdra can usually OHKO Jumpluff, while its usually takes 2 hits to kill a kingdra. So we start and I go first with a lone Hoppip. I top deck a basic and play it down, since I'm super scared of getting donked with a simple Hoppip start. Jacob starts his turn and starts setting up, but he can't get much. He ends up belting a benched Horsea to try and draw more. But his usual hack draws are all dead. He does get a active Seadra going and is able to Aqua Pump to kill my Hoppip. I go, top deck a collector and everything from there is mostly me setting up and Mass Attacking. Jacob got the crappiest draws and I don't think he got a single Kingdra in play. Sorry dude!

Round 3 Vs. Kingdra Prime

So again I'm playing Kingdra and again playing a good friend from league, Janet. She's pro at one energy attackers. Unfortuatly, I don't remember much about this game but it was awesome. We both get set up and I take an early prize lead. However, she kills a belted 'Pluff and it's almost tied. I played Kingdra for quite a time, so I knew how the deck worked and was pretty confident I could slow her down. I bright looked her only Claydol, poketurned Lux and killed Claydol. She still had a kingdra, but no draw at this point. I only have one prize left and the Lux X in hand, which I could bright look for game. But, Janet pulled her sneaky shenanigans and dropped a LA Mesprit and locked all my powers. What a play. I simply attack and she begins. And drops a judge. Crap. So I draw 4 crap cards and she kills my Pluff. i'm struggling at this point and its 1-1 prize. She would win the next turn. I comsic into a warp point and a crobat. I warp point and she brings up an unbelted Kingdra. I flashbite and Mass Attack with just enough for the KO. My favorite game all day! Good job Janet. :)

So I was 3-0 at this point and pretty excited. Until I looked at who I was playing. Of course I would have to be playing my boyfriend, Chris. ):

Round 4 Vs. DialgaChomp

After jokes about scooping to eachother, we promise to play our hardest. I go first and pass. Chris goes, does some things but can't get the T1 defen, which is crutial in this match. I let out a sigh and pretty much start steam rolling through everything he has, while he can't get set for crap. He dragon rushes a claydol for his only prize. I feel bad because beating him meant for sure that he wasn't going to top cut. Sorry Babe. ):

Round 5 Vs. Luxchomp

So I'm playing the only other 4-0, and I'm pretty relaxed because i'm almost positive even if I lose, I'd still make top. During set up, I decided to lay down my Azelf, just incase of the dreaded donk, since I had an active hoppip. The guy groaned as we flipped. He went first and attached a double colorless to his Luxray that would have won him the game, had I not layed down another basic. Whew. I start setting up and lay down a baltoy and start evolving. He goes, brings up the baltoy and kills it. I'm not too worried as I go to get another one. But no. I had 2 baltoys prized. What a joke. :) It went downhill from there and I took my only loss.

I set up my deck for deck checks and I got 3rd. Whoo! My first top cut. Everyone cheered for me and I was pretty excited.

Top 4 Vs. Tyranitar SF

Game One: It was a good match and we both set up pretty quick. I sacrificed a couple of 'Pluffs to kill his T-tars and made sure to only use powers on the turns I knew I could knock out a Ttar, so he didn't get a million energy on it. It gets pretty close, but I am able to take a prize lead by knocking out belted stuff.

Game Two: I have a lone Hoppip and he starts with Sableye and a dark energy. GG. :p

Game Three: He starts with Sableye, and drops a Giritina let loose. Crap. I draw into crap and a luxury ball which need for a claydol. He initatives and...flips 2 tails! Oh my goodness. I start getting set up slowly, not laying down broken time space, knowing if he couldn't draw into one the game on his side would slow down and I had more turns that I could use powers. I drop luxray and he starts getting set up as well. He gets a T-tar out and he takes a prize before I kill it, swarming 'Pluffs. He has a Pupitar on the bench, stacked with energy, but no way to evolve it so he brings up something to stall. I retreat, drop Lux X and bright look it. Poketurn and mass attack. He draws, laughs and shows my the Ttar he just topdecked, looks at the field, and extends his hand. Good game Mike!

So I'm in top 2 and even more excited.

Top 2 Vs. Tyranitar SF

Game 1: Another Tyranitar. Wow. So we start and he let looses turn one as well, with an active sableye. I have Jumpluff, BTS and Claydol in hand and baltoy benched and I sighed. He initatived and flipped 1 head. He put back down my claydol. I drew. Top decked a luxury ball. Thank goodness! Layed down the BTS, got out claydol and started setting up. I got a jumpluff and stared mass attacking. He got a Ttar out, but I was already too far ahead in prizes.

Game 2: He starts with Giritina and can not get set up at all! I start with a hoppip and soon evolve into jumpluff. Drop a bat, filled my bench and was able to kill the Giritina. He only had a belted larvitar on the bench, with a few energies. He brought up sableye and began to set up. I looked at my hand and sighed. Warp Point. I warp pointed and he was forced to bring up the Larvitar. I mass attacked for two prizes. He sighed and said, "That's game." Good game James!

So I won my first tournament the first time I top cut. Wow! Thanks for all the support guys. :) It was an awesome day!

Props:
Winning my first tournament.
Everyone who cheered for me. :p
Going home and playing more pokemon and rock band until 2 in the morning with Chris, Ben, Seth and Jacob.
Olliver winning the next day in Salem!

Slops:
Killing Chris's chances at topping. ):
Winning because my opponent couldn't set up.
Seth getting 5th. :p

Thanks for reading!

Nicole that was a pro report! After reading this i know it was definitely your skill that won you your matches not the build :)
(although it didn't hurt that it was awesome :p)

Congratulations baby that victory medal looks awesome in your binder :)
I love you!

Thanks guys!

Olliver, how could I not put you in there? Winning with no Roseannes? So pro!

And I try to show girls can win at pokemon too! :p

Back