Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

1st Place Sweden Nationals report

hampuse1

For those of you who don’t know who I am: My name is Hampus Eriksson. I have won Swedish Nationals 2009 and 2010 and did bad at both worlds :p
When out TO decided to have a MD-CL format for nationals I decided directly do play Luxchomp. However, the more I thought about it gyarados seemed like a much better choice so after a little bit of testing I decided to play Mewdos.

We took the car down to Karlstad the day before and did some test games in the car, and my deck worked amazing(T1 Mew+collector <3).
The bed at the hotel was horrible but I still got some sleep. After a small breakfast we took the car to the tournament hall and met all of the other players.

Now onto the games:
Junior: 14 people, 4 rounds, top2
Senior: 18 people, 5 rounds, top4
Masters: 17 people, 5 rounds, top4

Round 1, bye from states
1-0

Round 2, Daniel R, Uxie Donk
I started Regice active and Sableye on bench and he starts lone Crobat. We roll dice and I get to start. My hand is crap so I can’t get any other basics out and warp back Ice and use Impersonate on Looker’s. I see an Uxie and decide to shuffle his hand in. I’m almost sure he is going to donk me here but the only thing he does is to use warp point and pass. My hand is bad, very bad. I use cyrus for something and then warp again into Eye and Impersonate for 2 karps and one Mesprit. He draws a card, play warp point and pass. My turn, I use psychic bind, get out a Gyarados, and win a couple of turns after.
2-0

Round 3, Henrik R, Luxchomp
I don’t remember a lot from this game. He starts Smeargle but still draw badly. He needs to do a couple of Set Up for one card but he keep drawing good. I get out a really fast Mew and just run through him with it. It would have been interesting if his Dialga X had hit the field :p
3-0

Round 4, Karl P, Chenlock
He does not get the lock he want to have because of my Smeargle/Sableye and can’t really do anything against Mew+Gyarados.
4-0

Round 5, Alexander R, Garchomp C w/techs
Almost same as the game before. I get out a really fast mew(turn one or two) and just run through him.
5-0

Standings for masters after day 1:
1. Hampus E, Mewdos, 5-0
2. Henrik R, Luxchomp, 4-1
3. Karl P, Chenlock, 4-1
4. Albert S, Seviper/Mightyena 3-2

Top4, Albert S, Seviper/Mightyena
Well, Seviper is not a bad deck. The problem is that it loses to the top tiers. I manage to get out fast mews in both games and Mew+Mesprit is too much for his deck to handle and I win 2-0 in 15-20 minutes.

Because my game was finished so fast I can watch the other top4 and my brother playing final in juniors. This was a very nervous waiting because my brother was playing final and he won the first game fast, and I knew I had better matchup against Chenlock.
It all turned out as good as possible, my brother won and Karl P won the top4. (And Isac won top4 in seniors).

Lunch, had some Pizza.

Final, Karl P, Chenlock
We sit down and shuffling. Me, Karl, Isac and Carl(the other finalist in seniors) talked a bit. I said to them that I haven’t started lone Magikarp/Q in the whole tournament.
1. I started lone Q, of course. The roll decides that I start. I draw and pass. He plays collector.
0-1
2. I’m a bit worried that I’m going to lose on one more donk but when I see my hand I know I’ll survive the donk. I setup really nice and get a fast See Of @Gdos. He can’t handle my fast Mew and I just take 6 straight prizes.
1-1
3. This game is a lot more even. I get out a fast Gdos but does not get the Mew. Gyarados takes three prizes but he manage to move the rescue energy to my benched combee. He also uses a Judge here and I get a terrible hand. Next turn I use combee to draw one card(haha). I topdeck collector so I’m able to send Gdos to lost zone next turn. He does not manage to my Mew and I can start Tail Revenging for 120 when I have 3 prizes left and he has 4. I take 2 prizes and on his turn he needs to decide to either KO my Mew or Luring Flame something and hope that I can’t retreat it. He goes for the knock out but I do have pokemon rescue in my hand, GG. ( I also had the warp point if he had Luring Flamed instead.)
I was lucky he didn’t get that hard lock that he got against Henrik in top4. If he had I don’t know how the game had turned out.
The Senior final is one of the closest game I have seen. When time is called they have 4 prizes left each. Carl takes one, Isac counter KO the Magnezone, Carl doesn’t manage to KO something and Isac use Luxray for last prize.

Props:
Winning Nationals three years in a row
My brother and Isac winning
Undefeated
Marc Lutz. I can’t thank you enough for first creating this amazing deck and then optimize the list.
My friends.
Great judging from Heidi and Ola.
Karl P for doing such a great performance.
Albert with Seviper
Mew <3
Prizes

Slops:
Getting donked, I guess.

List:
Marc Lutz should have every credit for this deck(except the Promocroak tech :p)

Pokemon (23)
3 Gyarados
4 Magikarp
1 Regice
1 Combee
1 Sableye
4 Smeargle
1 Mesprit
2 Uxie
1 Azelf
1 Unown Q
2 Crobat G
2 Mew Prime
1 Promocroak

Trainer (31)
4 Pokemon Collector
3 Seeker
1 Sage's Training
2 Cyrus's Conspiracy
1 Looker's Investigation
1 Bebe's Search
4 Junk Arm
2 Poke Turn
1 Energy Gain
2 Warp Point
2 Pokemon Rescue
1 VS Seeker
1 Luxury Ball
2 Expert Belt
3 Broken Time-Space

Energy (6)
2 Warp Energy
2 Rescue Energy
2 Psychic Energy

That’s everything from me for this time. See you all in San Diego!
// Hampus Eriksson

Last edited:
Three in a row... great job, Hampuse! I really like your list... the promocroak + egain was a really good idea to deal with luxray. I'd playtest with it if I was to have any more MD-on events (you never know for US nats... but eh). I can't wait to see you at San Diego. Great job and good luck in SD :)

On a side note, I think Seviper should be on the props list. Anybody who plays that at nats and makes T4 is a really cool dude. ;P

Hampus!!

God I'm so proud of you. Hope you do well at Worlds this time, too!

Bro glad to see you haveing such great success. Already told you that I cant wait to meet you at nats through skype but I'll see you there. (hopefully)

wow... compared to our Nationals in the U.S. this is tiny... but in Europe, there are Nats in all of the countries so obviously they are smaller. xD

Thanks everyone!

@Rap Tor: Well, there are not much players here in Sweden. Yu-gi-oh and Magic is a lot bigger,

Back