Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2 AZ BR: Masters

TOYBOX

Went to 2 Battle Roads this weekend in an attempt to get back into the game; went into an indefinite hiatus last year before States. Didn't get a chance to playtest vs. anything, so my knowledge of new decks(sabelock, vileplume, donphan, etc.) was pretty limited to only theorymon, but i had a good grasp of what i was up against, so i stuck with decks that i was familiar with.

DAY 1:

played Blaziken FB/Garchomp C w/ techs

Round 1: vs. LuxChomp
We both get pretty decent setups, but he's always a few steps ahead of me in both prizes and how many Garchomp/Garchomp counters we can get onto the field at once. I try to stall by using luring flame on his bronzong and a few bench sitters, but i lose steam midway through and when time is called i scoop because i can't deny him a prize & take 2 prizes.

0-1

Round 2: vs. Metagross
Not sure how his deck worked since all I saw was Metagross and a Scyther. I swept him with weakness.

1-1

Round 3: vs. Dialgachomp
An easy matchup followed by the fact that I had an AMAZING hand, but unfortunately I start with Q and get donked T1 by 3x Crobat G.

1-2

Round 4: vs. Random
idk, he was new, swept his field.

2-2

Round 5: vs. Glaceon
Not much of a game, I did Tail Code just for fun, she was a PokeGirlfriend.

3-2: lameeeeee lol

DAY 2:

I showed up a bit late and realized I would have to leave early to go to work, but I decided to play anyways. Went with Garchomp C/Techs(Honchkrow G/Honchkrow SV/Croak), mainly cuz I couldn't build Donphan in time.

Round 1: vs. Luxchomp w/ Techs
He won the day before and is always a hoot to play against. Overall, I won by outplaying him and just getting way more setup than he did. I always had at least 2 Chomp counters on the field, but I never saw a Luxray hit the field. An early Uxie X/Sableye helped me setup after a horrible opening hand.

1-0

Round 2: vs. Dusknoir/Mewtwo
Started with a godhand against his OK one. I immediately sniped the Mewtwo with Chomp when it hit the field and benched him with constant Dragon Rush/Zen Blades.

2-0

Round 3: vs. Sablelock
We both have almost identical setups, though I got going a bit earlier than he did, he eventually crippled my hand with continuous Judge/Initiatives. I forgot what Honchkrow SV's attack did(lol im running it), which led to me getting continuously OHKO'd with no way to respond when we were down to 2-3 prizes against time. Eventually I lost board control and scooped with no answer to his continuous 130+ damage output. GG

2-1

dropped because of the time.

Overall I was very surprised by the lack of the much hyped Vileplume, and was pretty amused that almost nothing had changed from last year's metagame when I originally went on hiatus. It was fun, either way.

Back