Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2013-02-28 PLS Beartic 041

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynegg

CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator
"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

[gal=54156]2013-02-28 PLS Beartic 041[/gal]​

I really like this card a lot. Decent HP, cool attacks and plasma to boot. With a mediocre weakness and nice retreat cost (for heavy ball of course) this pokemon seems useable and I hope to see it played soon.

I feel like this card deserves an 8/10. In my opinion anyway. :)

8/10

Good HP and two pretty strong attacks. Powerful rage can punish an opponent for failing to OHKO it and even take down EXs if he gets 90 or more damage on him (Darkrai watch out!). This will still die to Virbank/Darkclaw, but a giant cape can take care of that making it near impossible to OHKO. The opponent can work around this, but fortunately, glacier drop is a pretty good attack too. It hits the magic 90 and has a nice bonus effect of discarding the top card of their deck.

Unlike a lot of stage 1 and stage 2 pokemon, this can stand up to EXs, making it well worth the efford to bring out. The attacks are reasonably priced and it has several options for acceleration.

A heavily underrated card. It can make for some fun league decks. I once thought of using Beartic in a similar manner to Regigigas EX, using Luxray from ND to get damage on it. Not sure if it can stand in competitive play but it can sure take some by surprise.

I give it a 7/10. A fun league card that shouldn't be overlooked.
6/10 for art. This pic sends mixed messages...

I think this card's gonna become solid next set once it can use support from cards like Umbreon and Deoxys-EX. Until then, it's still good, but shouldn't be a main attacker IMO. Powerful Rage can be played around (unless you're using Reuniclus...and who plays that nowadays anyway?), but Glacier Drop is still reasonably priced for what you get - 90 and discard the top card from your opponent's deck (P.S. Where the heck's Slowking HGSS when you need it?). Overall, quite underrated and worth a try.

Current format - 7.5/10 It's got its reasons to be played.
Future format assumption - 9/10 A lot more big hitters in this set he'll need to deal with, but it also brings Umbreon, Deoxys-EX, Frozen City, and numerous other great tools Beartic can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back