Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2013-04-09 PLS Snorlax 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynegg

CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator
"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

[gal=54216]2013-04-09 PLS Snorlax 101[/gal]​

Idk why he's so adored in this format. 5 energy just to get an attack off. While having 130hp and horrible retreat cost. I don't see the appeal. Especially when people will just catcher other pokemon in his place while you stack energy on him.

Plasma potential? Sure. But how many turns do you plan on wasting on this lump?

5/10

He has serious potential when the electric genie is out next set. Finally a way to reuse discarded double colorless. It will be fairly simple to get snorlax powered up in two turns.

8/10

Don't underestimate the ability. This screws over Darkrai, players relying on Keldeo (if they only have one and you catcher it out), and Rayeels. Even if they use switch, you force your opponent to use resources that they otherwise wouldn't have to use. They'll eventually run out and when they do, you can trap them in place until they deck out.

The attack is overpriced, but with enough DCEs and Colress Machines, it can be done. And with 5 other plasma pokemon, you're OHKOing EXes. And it will only get better with the release of next set.

This card isn't really that great right now, but it's going to be much better upon Plasma Freeze's release. It can OHKO an EX with a full bench of Plasma Pokemon, which will be easier to do when Team Plasma's Poke Ball comes out. Its retreat cost is a pain, yes...but I can't imagine this being ran in a deck without a heavy count of Switch. This card is definitely something that can do well in a deck that is built around it. Colress Machine, Plasma Ball, Switch, Heavy Ball, etc. Its ability can be very nice if the player is skilled, too. The main downside to its weakness is that Landorus EX one shots it without needing to discard the energy off of Land's Judgement.

I give this a 7/10. The fact that it's a non-EX that has potential says a lot right there. Retreat cost stinks and its attack is hefty, but there has to be some downside, no? :p

Not a card to be underestimated, especially come Plasma Freeze. All it takes is a Scramble Switch and this guy can and will sweep (especially in the late game). The ability also makes him a bit of a catcher deterrent (unless it can be immediately knocked out) which is something to be admired in this format.

The retreat cost is something that should not be a large concern as decks that play Snorlax should have an acceptable means of switching out. The attack cost I feel makes him a blessing in disguise as he is seen as something that may have troubles setting up where in fact it comes to be quite the opposite (DCE, Colress Machine, Scramble Switch, and the soon to come Thundurus EX). Snorlax is also fortunate enough to be worth only 1 prize.

As of now, 4/10 because Plasma cards are struggling to see efficient play. Come Plasma Freeze probably more of a 7.5/10. I only rate it a bit lower because it is difficult for him to function alone. Furthermore, I see Snorlax as a 1-of tech card more than a guy that makes a deck function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back