Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2013-04-29 Rewards Catcher 095

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynegg

CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator
"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

The more I think about this card, the more I wonder:

-Would we have been better off living with reversal flips for another year?
-Was the card always intended to be dropped in an early-generation set, and then let expire, as Ninetales and Escape Rope would suggest?

In any case, in terms of power, it's definitely a 10/10-the ability to effectively direct any attack to any Pokemon is too great to ignore. In terms of impact to the game, it's a 1/10 in my book-at the very least, it should have been a supporter. As a collector's item, it'd probably be about a 7/10-with the secret rare out there, it's hard to give it any higher of a mark, even though this is technically rarer.

I can't decide which card is more broken. Catcher or Hypnotoxic Laser. They're both very broken. While I wouldn't toss Lasers into every single deck I play, I will never play a deck less than 4 Catchers, as this is card is my most needed and desired card to use to win my games. Your opponent has a heavily damaged EX on the bench? No problem! Use a Catcher to grab it up and knock it out. Playing a Darkrai Deck and your opponent has an EX that is 30 or less damage way from being knocked out? That's great! Catcher up something with 90 HP or less (unless the Darkrai has a Dark Claw on it, then it's 110 HP or less or you're playing lasers. In which case, with Virbank City Gym out, you can catcher up a Pokémon with 140 HP on it). Then knock it out and the EX on your opponent's bench that has 30 or less HP left to snag 3 prizes in 1 turn. That's amazing!

Catcher is just THAT good. I give this amazing card a 10/10. 4 Catchers is a staple in any deck I play! And now I can get more of them by winning them! Awesome!

In the past, Neo Genesis sought to balance the game with a "your opponent can do it too" effect (see Double Gust). Later, the E-sets introduced Supporters and coin flips (Pokemon Reversal) to those cards instead and that seemed to work. Later equivilant effects required you to jump through some hoop, like a stage requirement or a level up.

We were in HGSS-On when this card was released. I commented that this card should have been a Supporter. In the manga, the Pokemon Catcher is a girl who specializes in catching pokemon so it made sense to me. My PTO pointed out that it would have been a bad decision to make it a Supporter because item-lock would not be able to stop it. In context, that made sense. It created a sort of chess-like play: Player A has to play 2 or more Oddish--with 40 HP!--on the same turn; Player B has to reply with a Pokemon Catcher to KO an Oddish; Player A then has to play Rare Candy --> Vileplume OR bench another Oddish; if Player A failed, then Player B uses Pokemon Catcher to KO the other Oddish. A complex form of balance.

That Gust of Wind had never found its way into any set after Base Set made BW a real experiment. In BW-On, what we have is an absence of bench-sitters. In the past, even stage 2 pokemon could set up the game. Delcatty, Pidgeot, Magcargo, Claydol, Uxie lvX. In BW, we easily have Musharna and Empoleon. However, Pokemon Catcher and no reliable item-lock means these pokemon will not be able to settle into the bench and this type of set up no longer exists. It supports the game's current reliance on massive draw (the increasing presence of Tropical Beach) and items for set up. Maybe that isn't so bad? It is a different style of play. What does make it bad is it encourages less variety in the game because there is less opportunity for basics to evolve into stage 2 and less opportunity for a deck that would thrive with set-up support.

Its reprinting in DEX very likely indicates that we will be stuck with it for another year. This wasn't just some early on way to balance item lock by making it easier to KO Oddish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back