Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2013-05-06 PLF Sceptile 008

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynegg

CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator
"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

[gal=54669]2013-05-06 PLF Sceptile 008[/gal]​

2/10

This is just not a good card. The attacks don't do enough damage to justify running an evolution. The healing is nice, but even that is limited to what you can attach energy to. Just not worth it.

I mean I think the better use for this is to have a Reuniclus on the bench to spread out the 100 or 120 damage it receives and you can heal all of it with a full bench with energy attached to all of them. And keep a Mr. Mime on the bench too. Probably an example of a card that could be good without Catcher in the game.

3/10

Actually I change my mind... Ghetsis could give you a little bit of breathing room. Still kind of tenuous for today's hard-hitting game.

4/10

Last edited:
It would be a different game if EX Pokemon were not so powerful. This card can be useful in a healing deck and would be hard to take down. Sadly Darkrai can take it down in 1 shot.

Sceptile was my very first Pokemon when i started playing the VG back in 3rd Gen days (or rather Treecko was but that's just splitting hairs). So you can imagine how happy I am to see Sceptile again :tongue:

Now as for this card, i am a bit dissapointed. I mean I can think of a few deck ideas that could make Sceptile work, but with today's metagame, our poor forest lizard just can't keep up.

5/10 the possibility is there but it takes too much to tap into it.

10/10 cuz it's Sceptile :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't understand why Sceptile are always bad. At best, they are outclassed and/or awkward. Sceptile ex was interesting and sported proper HP but it was around in a time when :fire: was too popular.

Sceptile's classic role has been to stand in place of Venusaur BS or Meganium NG, moving energy or doubling up :grass: energy cards, respectively, but even then they have had subpar attacks and low HP that makes them vulnerable even in times when the bench was a safe place. I remember using the GE version (doubling up :grass: energy cards) in Torterrible and always being nervous about its 100 HP. Anyway, Plasma Freeze Sceptile has no Ability so that is a mark against it. Grass is currently all about healing while its previous roles are occupied by other pokemon/types at the moment.

X-Scissor is familiar to Leaf Blade, which Sceptile has had in the past. An attack that is always overpriced.

For Energy Bloom, Serperior BW is better because the attack is cheaper and it heals all :grass: pokemon regardless of if they have energy attached. Yes, Sceptile heals any type, but if you're running a grass stage 2 it is probably in a grass deck so that's a mute point.

Bottom attributes: Both W&R are normal for a Sceptile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back