Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2nd Place Noobish-Rogue report(colorado masters)

ChicoBlanco

so my younger brother Bret(Bretkid) and I went into this tournament knowing we would both bomb. Gallade was everywhere,
thanks to it winning 1st and 2nd (masters) in colorado cities last week, everyone and their mom was trying to copy it, while me and bret didn't have the cards to beat it (and we were too uh.. lets say financially-challenged to build a halfway good deck ourselves lol... hey not everyone has every card available.)...
so I really had too cook up something fast.
so I threw together a lame Meganium/Mismagius rogue about five days before the tournament that beats Gallade, Blissey, and usually Mario, but loses to Murkrow.
and literally as late as the signup, I decided to use it.
bret decided he wouldn't run Blissey cuz of the Metagame, so he teched a 1-1 Clefable into his Mario to copy Gallade's attack, and give him a slight chance vs it

Round 1 vs Victoria with Arcanine/Blazeken

I had a hard time at first, but once I got my TRUK started, I TRUKROLLED thru her pokemon...
just kidding people...this is gonna be a real report

so we shuffle and start and
I was freaked out cuz I started with a lone Chicorita, a Candy and 5 Energies.
she mulliganed, I pull yet another energy. I saw a Combusken in the mulligan, which can hit for 50 for 1 energy on a heads.
gulp. hope I pull a supporter soon.
she flips over a pokemon,
luckily, its a smeargle, and not a torchic.
she goes first grabs 3 energy.
I draw, top deck a scott, search for celeo/other stuff. (hoping my life she doesn’t pull a rare candy Combusken 2nd turn KO ... lol)
she doesn’t. and I get Meganium via Celeo and get my setup.
she gets an Arcanine and blasts away the poor Meganium for 240 damage, then I send up Mismagius to KO it back, and a few turns later I had the game.

1-0

Round 2:

Jared C (Gardy/Galade deck)

I was hoping to run into some Gardy/Galade decks..
i mean they were everywhere after all..
Jared seemed to be certain I was using Blissey, and the whole time he's like "You're goin down. this won't even be a close match)
so we flip.
I go 2nd and flip over Stantler and he's like what? Stantler...?
Then I Rosanne's for Misdreavous and Chicorita and drop 'em on the bench and he laughs and is like "Ok... Now THAT's kinda unexpected.."
I can see what he means... Stantler Misdreavous Chicorita? is this a brand new pokemon starter deck? seriously lol..
He gets a 3rd turn Gardy/Strength Charm to KO stantler.
I evolve to Mismagius attach Scramble and OHKO Gardy.
He sends up some sacrificial basic Pokemon. and I retreat and run thru them with Meganium.
he Wagers me and I lose the Wager and get 3 bad cards so I’m a bit freaked out.
he gets a Galade on the bench and my hand is still small and bad.
but I still have the Mismagius on the bench waiting for Galade to come up.
so I attack with Meganium get a prize, and eventually I end up pulling a supporter and over time get a decent hand again.
then he sends up Galade, and OHKO’s my Meganium. I send up Mismagius OHKO Galade, and they ended calling time. he tries to tie up the prizes, but realizes I'm 2 prizes ahead. (plus I had another OHKO next turn)
I hate winning on time, but I was in a pretty good position that game, so I think I woulda had the game if it wasn't for time..

2-0

Round 3:

vs my little brother Bret (BretKid) with teched Mario

so we start the game. I get a pretty nice setup with my Meganium.
But bret gets an insanely good setup including a turn-2 Machap/DRE as his active, and two Machamps and a Machoke on the bench by turn 5. crazy. and he doesn't even have Evolutionary call to get it lol..
he still thinks he’s gonna lose, cuz of the disadvantage in the matchup, but
he flipped at least 3 cruicial heads in a row with Dynamic punch. (I guess that kinda makes up for all your bad flips at worlds using that attack huh bret?)
so eventually, brets has 1 prize left, I have 2.
I have a Mismagius on the bench with 20 HP left, so once I KO his active Machamp, he can power a benched Lucario eventually, and snipe me for 20 with Lucario.
BUT, I attach heal energy to prevent the snipe KO. and delta reduct his champ.
here’s where it comes down to:

If he flips yet another heads with Machamp, he basically wins, if he flips a tails, I win.
another heads.
so I flip to try to KO his Machamp with Delta Reduction. I flip tails on Confusion. GG..
I was kinda mad after that, not just cuz of the flips but cause of the fact that I might not top cut now, cuz of bad resistance.

2-1

so I thought I was gonna play one of the two Darkwing Ducks running around, which is basically an autoloss for me, and then I would end the tournament 3-2. but fortunatley, I didn’t

Round 4 vs Zach M with Banette deck

I get a Meganium going, and he KO’s it with Banette, then I OHKO back with Mismagius, and after that KO, it was hard for him to come back.

3-1

Round 5 vs Michael P with Darkwing Duck..,HonchLock..wutever you wanna call it deck

I was certain I was gonna lose this and not make top cut...
but I ended up getting a fast Meganium, getting setup, and pecking at his Murkrows with Meganium cuz of their resistance.
I locked the Honchkrows down with some tech, which gave me a slight chance...
he Wagers me, and I win the Wager, and he didn’t pull much.
when he sent up Honchcrow to destory Meganium, I OHKO’d it back with
with Mismagius.
he still has a small hand and doesn’t pull anything, so I slowly eat away at his Murkrows with Meganium.

4-1

So wow... that should not have happened, but I’m in...

and surprisingly Bret's in as well, having got quite the lucky side against Blazekid's Gallade and somehow won with Clefable..

Top 4 vs Bret (Bretkid) with teched Mario

so we are both in the top cut.
and we both have noobish decks.
and we both play each other. (ugh not again)
I had a bad feeling about playing bret again, cuz I knew that If a couple things went wrong, he’d beat me one of the games, and then win the third game on time
cuz Mario's faster.

Game 1:
we both get set up. he gets a turn 3 champ powered up..
but he flips some crucial tails on Dynamic Punch early.
it gets pretty vicious, and over a period of 25 minutes I win the long game

1-0

Game 2:
he gets another turn 2 Champ DRE. (Gosh what the heck bret?!)
and this is another close, long game cuz he gets a great setup again. eventually
I have 1 card left that I need to draw to winout of a 3 card deck. I draw, don't get it. then I play scott to grab the Stadium in the deck. sweet. so that means, next turn I’ll win cuz I’ll draw the card no matter what.
I have a Meganium with 50hp left, but I just Reducted his Lucario and it can’t KO me.
he knows it’s over... unless, he sends up Clefable attaches DRE and gets 2 Heads with Clefable’s Slam attack. he retreats, flips, 2 HEADS! 50 Damage! (wut the heck dude... geez lol)

1-1

Game 3:
I was kind of annoyed cuz Bret would win the 3rd game on time cause Mario’s faster.

I start with a Chicorita and not too great of a hand. he gets a turn 2 Machamp DRE (AGAIN) he gets 2 prizes ahead with Machamp. I OHKO Machamp with Mismagius/Lake Boundry, and he has a Lucario after that, but he was still gonna win on the clock.
he scoops out of courtesy.
wow. thank you so much bret.

I was pretty frustrated with the way things turned out.
I mean why couldn’t he have just flipped one tails out of 2 on Clefable’s attack, and I would've actually won 2-0.
Bret knew he got the luck on that and he didn’t wanna beat me on time... so he was very kind about it. I appreciate it bret.
ugh tho....
I didn’t want him to do that kinda thing, but it was his choice not mine

2-1 (technically 1-2.. ghghh but wutevr)

Finals: Michael P with Honchkrow Lock

I had a turn 3 Meganium going via DRE and Multiple Celeos in my hand (Celeo's to grab Bayleef to use Evolutionary Call to grab Meganium),
I go first and I have six trainers in my hand (ugh.. and I happen to be playing vs Absol lol) but it's really the DRE that matters. for once, I want him to discard anything but the DRE. and both the Celeos. So I try to put his Absol to sleep with Chicorita. tails. (oh well, free attack right? lol)
he uses Absol. plz not DRE baby. just not DRE. but he pulls the DRE strait off out of the 7 cards. ouch.
so I had to Rosannes for an energy, and put off the Celeo for Bayleef.
then he locked up my had even more.
over time, I had no hand, no setup and he had me uber-locked.
scoopy time

0-1

Game 2:

I get Meganium out, he Swarms it with Absols/Honchkrows.
and when he gets those buffers, I can’t even touch the Murkrows with Delta Reduct lol.
He KO’s Meganium.
I get another Meganium, and he Keeps attaching buffer, so my Delta Reduction does nothing.
He gets Honchkrow LV X out, and keeps returning back Buffer Piece from his discard pile with Honchkrow Lv X's attack, so there’s basically nothing I can do to touch the Honchkrow lol...
I send up Mismagius, do a ton of damage to Honchcrow LV X, then he retreats for a Honchkrow on his bench.
I knew it was his game, but i wanted to see if I could get a few more prizes before the loss.
I scott for 2 Copycats and an Oak’s Visit.
He plays Mars, gets rid of one copycat, then uses Honchkrow, and gets rid of......
Oak’s.
LOL. so I copycat, pull some energy, OHKO Honchkrow with my other Mismagius.
then he drops Absol retreats Honch Lv X, and KO’s Mismagius lol
its over...
the end game looked like this. I have 3 prizes left. he has 1. I have a ton of unpowered basics on my bench, he has a ton of Honchkrows powered up, and a few Murkrows ready to fight lol
Good Game Mike

0-2

so I get 2nd(it should’ve been 3rd but bret was very kind) with the noobiest noob deck on the planet. seriously. it looked like a theme deck.
but hey at least it can beat Gallade lol..

-Ian b

Props:

1. Dwayne for hosting a good tournament.
2. Bret for winning in the coolest way ever.. get this: drops clefairy, moonstones to clefable, attaches DRE, uses slam, gets 2 heads against a shuppet lol
3. The Abernathys for pwning.
4. Mike for using (that one stadium) in his Honchkrow. (see i told you it was good Chris! but no... u didn't believe me until you see Mike use it.. jk its all good)
5. Gallade for not winning. (not offense at all to the people using Gallade, I just didn't want it to win again)
6. The Kingsleys, for their great playing and remarkable sportsmanship as always
7. Mike for winning
8. o and of course, Steve for driving us

Slops:

1. me for getting angry at bret when he beat me that game in swiss

thats all...

Last edited:
GJ, nice deck idea!

thanks dante63. actually its kinda lame lol.. i was almost sure I was gonna go like 2-3 with this "deck"... but it was surprisingly consistant(mainly cuz of Bayleef's evolutionary call to get Meganium) & worked decently against the random field

Good job buddy, proud of ya! =D

thanks man..
i only got 2nd tho :/
(sigh... that cities bling bling looks so nice too lol...)

Hey

Nice report. BTW I play Mismagius so I guess I'm a nOOb too!

..not a bad card eh?
i mean, a stage 1 that can take care of Blissey & Gallade..
seems pretty worth it to me.

Next week every one and there moms are going to be playing the mismagius to beat gallade/ bliss! LOL

IanB is by NO MEANs a noob! Top8 at Nats 2007 dispells that idea!

I'm guessing Gardy/Gally will be around for a while, in some version or another. Honchy/Abbey is a situational deck. I like Meganium-d with just about anything. So, I commend you for doing well with it. Don't give up on it.

In the finals against Michael, you played the best you could. It was just Honchcrow's time. Good job at beating Michael in swiss though.

Next week every one and there moms are going to be playing the mismagius to beat gallade/ bliss! LOL
haha thatd be funny but kinda doubtful (lol mismagius is a bit of a pushover against other stuff)

Nice Job man.

many thanks jay.

Nice job..man
many thanks.. anders.

IanB is by NO MEANs a noob! Top8 at Nats 2007 dispells that idea!

I'm guessing Gardy/Gally will be around for a while, in some version or another. Honchy/Abbey is a situational deck. I like Meganium-d with just about anything. So, I commend you for doing well with it. Don't give up on it.

In the finals against Michael, you played the best you could. It was just Honchcrow's time. Good job at beating Michael in swiss though.

lol.. thanks steve.
idk i like experiementing with noobish stuff tho..
so i guess that makes me a half-noob lol..
o yea.. gardys an overall great deck. im sure we will see some.
yeah.. I should've even been able to win in swiss.. it was mainly the fact that mike lost the wager imho

Nicely done, but I would take off those last names of your opponents. Just put the abbreviations, last names aren't allowed in reports.

Back