Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2nd place report in Ames IA BR

doctormcdreamy

What? Someone posts a Battle Road report that isnt spam?

Not a lot of attendance as the out of state people were diverted into the La Crosse WI BR.

Playing Flygon with techs with a teched Licki for the mirror match. I am just that smart.

Round 1. pokeparent - ilissasue mcclelland - Huntail, Gorebyss deck.

Auto win. I recognize the pokebodies and pokepowers and the weakness to lightning. So I abuse Ray ex d. And I set up KO's for Flygon ex d. I love ilissa! I knew her before meeting her again in league. She's one of the best pokeparents around.

Round 2. Pokedad with Shiftry ex.

Auto win. He's a cool guy. We laugh around in league. In the match, I delta drew. Got setup. He brought up Shiftry ex. So I played my Eggs. Just to show up much of a noob, I am. I stumped out 2 deltas. So my delta circle wasnt enough for the 0hko. But I supplied a Flygon and other things to take it down.

Round 3. Andrew Wirtz from the Seniors with Sunflora and Venusaur CG

Auto win. Delta drew. Set up Mew d and sweep with Flygon ex d. Andrew went on to win the event in the Seniors division.

Round 4. Jay Hornung's ScizorGross

Auto win. The matchup is actually really only 70-30, my advantage. So a fair start for me. Ray ex d. Hit the Beldums with my Ray ex d. He didnt have enough Pokes in the end to do the Nidoqueen Revenge. And he benched a Lati, so I was able to Mew Mimicry that next turn, if he didnt scoop. But he did scoop. He said I got a good start and had lucky draws. So I indulged him and said I did. Even though, it was just an average draw for me.

4-0. 1st place. The best player in Iowa goes undefeated in Swiss. Things are the way they should be.

However, the 'curse of the first' is cast upon our faithful hero.

T2 Finals. Noel vs Jay

R1 - We traded prizes. He never laid down a Beldum until he could RC it to a Metagross dx. I made a fatal mistake of thinking the metagross dx benefits from metals. I know it doesnt. But when you think Metagross dx, you think metal. Therefore, I never sniped them with ray ex d. However in all my r-gon vs scizorgross playtesting, I always sniped the metagross dx.

His Pokereversals hit my damaged Flygon ex d. So that gets active and get's Koed.

I played Mews to take care of Scizors and others. The one final smart thing that he did was that he never layed down the Lati until he needed to. Cause if he layed down that Lati prematurely, I woulda used it with Mew star.

In the end, that's how he did win, benching Lati in the very last turn, then super connecting energy to it, attach Casty. and koing my stage 2.

That play really did inspire me to bring back my Loogy sweeper in this deck. Me and Richard Lucas (winner of IL States) were talking about it. And he said he won a lot of matchups with it, well he used a different sweeper. And at first, I put Loogy in my deck. Then I never really needed it. So I dropped it.

R2 - I get turn 3'ed. Jay gets a win the lottery hand. End of story.

Jay wins against the best player in Iowa. So you have to feel good for the guy. That has to be a tremendous feeling. To outluck and to win against a superior player and a superior deck.

Jay's a quality player. He won against Jimmy Ballard this year in top cuts of IA States.

So big props to everyone and slops to noone.

Oh, special props to Foisy. one thing that Foisy posted a long time ago helped me out in the Metanite vs Raieggs matchup. Draggy ex d. Stump. And Windstorms. So thanks Foisy.

-_- I posted about stump. And windstorm. AND DRAGGY EX D :D

GJ, but Foisy never should get props ;P

thanks for posting moza, you should feel special. you got special props. not just ordinary ones.

oh jay or jaeger, his name on the gym. he really is a quality guy. and you can argue he's one of the best players to have played this game. so i got nothing but respect for the guy. love ya, man.

Back