Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

30? (interesting ^^)

Teleri333

hey, Ive been thinking alot about 30 card decks, I really like them and the tactics used to make them, Ive mentioned them before alot on other forums but people thought i was being illegal and an idiot and blocked me...? it is pop legal and it is played quite a bit. (if you want the pop link I can post it here ^^)
I play rogue decks and wanted to playtest, but was wondering about a 30 luxchomp list, or dialgachomp, or any other metagame decks in that would work in 30 card decks.(if any)
obviously gyrados wouldent work becuase your only aloud 2 of each card but the other decks might, and thats why I'm interested in the possable metagame for 30 card decks...

thanks for your time,
Teleri

yes, that is a valid point, but there are ways to play against SP, Im sure donphan or some other stage 1 would work, I play a stage 2 deck and win most of my games... and besides, if it ruined it that much make the 30 card format HS onwards, simple. (We almost did that, but people got bored of SP...)

well i guess if you had a donphan spiritomb deck you would wreck.

2 tomb
2 unown q
2-2 donphan prime
1 uxie

something like that for a pokemon line

That's a good idea, I usually run about 8/10 pokemon to 8/10 energy, then fill the rest with trainers and supporters.
But it all depends on how much energy you need to play your pokemon and how many trainers/supporters you like...

I do have an appreciation for 30 card events. But I would recommend the best time to get people interested is in the summer between nationals and battle roads. The old format doesn't matter unless you are going to worlds, The new format isn't defined, because new sets aren't availble, thus people are open to doing something different.

At our league in between Nat's and Battle Roads. We ran 30 card tournaments, ALA Professor Cup, Platinum on. People tried different stuff, but I had an SP deck that was just stupid silly good. My build basically Destroyed everyone elses builds not even close. It confirmed to me why I don't play SP. Too easy.

The other GREAT USE of 30 card decks is for "League" decks for explaining the game to new people. What I have for the new players is 6x 30 card decks. Nothing is sillier than to play a new player with a tournament winning deck, and they have a binder drop.dec .

We built to the each type of deck (Water, Fire, Psychic, etc.)

14 Pokemon
3-2-1 Stage 2 line of the Type.
3-2 Complement Stage 1, different type , line to cover weakness.
1 SP Basic that complments the deck. ( Galade G, Infernape G, etc)
1 Togekiss G (Draw a card, Free Retreat)
1 Stantler (CFF)

1 Poke-Ball
1 Great-Ball
1 Life Herb
1 Warp Point
2 Draw Supportors (Emcee, and some other So so Draw Supportor)

10 Energy
Split between the two types.

This build gave great use for those Stage 2 and Stage 1 lines that are OK, but not really arch type. Thus the decks are fairly balanced against each other. So anyhow, strong recomendation for folks who run leagues, or just have friends that they want to teach the game to. Teach them the mechanics, and the basic concepts first with 30 cards. Then move on too more advance decks that are tournament competitive. We too often are forced to try to teach people too much too quick, and they just get confused.

Last edited:
That's really cool, I found out about them first from a friend who went to japan on holiday, then I brought the HS trainer kit and tried to get friends interested, to no avail.. Which is annoying due to there being no league near me..
I havnt really tried sp decks on the fact that they would be to overkill, so I usually play arceus onwards or HS onwards depending on who I manage to get to play,
I usually play the arceus gengar(17, not the big one but the other one.)*
Which I can get 2 out turn 3(because of there being no broken time space or the like)*
And by that time my opponent will only just Been able to attack, I use the eevee and espeon from UD. Eevee to search other basics and the espeon to shift the damage it takes around the field, I'll do this for three turns then switch out for gengar and either snipe for 40(pc) or deal 60 and poison(pcc).*

This isn't even a good deck but it's a deck I enjoy playing, more than any metagame sp 60 card that is ^^
but yeah, thanks for the replies ^^*
Any ideas for other good decks?
I was thinking yanmega might work well.

There is no "official" 30 card format. The Professor Cup format limited you to 2 copies of each card, except where the Arceus rule applied.

I agree with all above, they are great teaching tools and they also reveal a lot of creativity that you often do not see in modified. The one thing I will say about 30 cards, 3 prizes is that one may get a distorted impression of how good certain cards are because of how they perform in 30/3 that wouldn't hold true in 60/6. For example, Cynthias Feelings to draw half your deck or PONT, also cards which make your opponent discard cards from his deck may seem overpowered in a format where everyone is a couple of turns from decking out. Kyogre/Groudon Legend anyone?

Back