Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

3DS or 3DS XL?

I'm getting either a 3DS or a 3DS XL, but can't decide on which. Here are my thoughts on the XL:

pros:
*bigger screen
*better and more easily-accessible stylus
*better home, start, and select buttons
*better physical feel
*longer battery life (though I hear it's not as much longer as advertised)

cons:
*bigger screen with same resolution (just "stretched") can lead to blurry or unclear graphics
*less portable (difficult to fit into most pockets)
*horrible color scheme (half black and half red or blue)
*worse sound
*can be difficult to hold in 1 hand due to size

Many of these points are things that I have not experienced for myself but have just read online. For those of you who own (or have at least played) a 3DS XL, do you agree with them?

The higher price of the XL is not an issue (it's a birthday present :D).

As far as the portability issues go, I will mostly play at home, but will take my system with me to Pokémon League and tournaments, to friends' houses every now and then, and when I travel.

I've heard that the "stretching" issue is worse with DS games than it is with 3DS games, and I will mostly be playing main-series Pokémon games (which, of course, are DS at the moment).

Which model do you all think is the best choice for me?

Thanks!

I just like the XL b/c the buttons at the bottom are actually, y'know, buttons, and not whatever that bar is on the regular 3DS.

I'm still waiting for them to release one of these things with good battery life. If my smart phone can be active for 10+ hours actually doing stuff the entire time, I don't see why my 3DS with the 3D turned off couldn't either (I understand with the 3D on).

I'd say the XL, as even though I have a regular 3DS, the XL handles a lot better. The screen increase doesn't blur, as the screen is of the same resolution; no stretching is occurring. It's not that much larger dimension-wise, actually. As far as colors, I guess that's something to be lived with. The sound issues only were with initial models; newer ones are better. I haven't held it in one hand only, so I can't speak from there, but I can't imagine it'd be too bad.

Personally I've never cared much for the XLs, so I am a tad biased and only take my opinion as such.

I find the XL to be too bulky in my experience, and have never found the idea of it as portable as appealing, and if you ever get a Circle Pad pro that only makes it bigger. (Which isn't out for the XL last time I checked but is due for release in the near future if it isn't out already.)

Also if it makes any impact on your decision there are battery extensions, though last time I checked they were a tad expensive (and bulky) and I'm unsure of their availability for the XL.

Either way I hope you enjoy you 3DS! :D

I think a lot of it depends on you. Different people see things differently, after all. I'm one of the people who can see the 'blur', so I'm a fan of the original. I tend to play a lot of DS games on it, mostly Pokemon. Once Pokemon makes the leap to 3D, it shouldn't be an issue, but for now...

As for the battery life, it seems to vary a lot. :( I've got a 3DS with ambassador status (read: first wave) and for some reason my battery lasts longer than most, even with 3D on. Since I usually don't play with 3D on at all, battery life has never really been an issue for me.

If battery does become an issue, there are battery extenders out there, some of them extremely long-lasting. The top of the line is the Mugen Power, which unfortunately is only produced in Japan. You can order it online, though! In a battery test it lasted almost 14 hours (compared to the non-boosted 4 hours), although that test was done on a 3DS, not an XL. The Mugen is also surpisingly NOT bulky, it barely thickens the bottom at all. Downsides are finding it, and it's about $100. It's a great thing, but since it sounds like you'll be playing most of the time within sight of a plug it's probably unnecessary.

As far as bulkiness goes, I'm really picky. I like my systems to fit in the pocket of whatever I'm wearing at the time, and I've found that the normal 3DS does this. The XL, on the other hand, only fits in a few of my bigger jackets. Kind of annoying, but not really a deal breaker since I'm female and it's socially acceptable for me to carry a purse. :p

TL;DR: My preference is the 3DS, but other people prefer the XL. Go to Gamestop/local VG shop and ask if you can handle both systems. Hold them in your hands, stick them in your pockets, play a little on them. Decide for yourself which you prefer.

I have the Nyko PowerPak+, and I generally get enough life for a nearly-full day of StreetPassing. You do have to remove the existing battery and replace it (and for some reason the included screwdriver wasn't quite small enough-I had to use one from an eyeglass repair kit), but other than that, I like it a lot.

Go for the smaller one then save up the rest of your money to buy a Wii U :tongue:

HD graphics FTW, also you can use it to play the new pokemon ruby and sapphire remake! Because I know they will make a remake of them on it! :cool:

(Don't take that pokemon remake seriously, I just made it up...)

Solo, you almost got my hopes up! I love those games (imo they are the best games (Though most polls say they are the worst (screw them)))

Solo, you almost got my hopes up! I love those games (imo they are the best games (Though most polls say they are the worst (screw them)))

Yeah they were technically my first games I ever played in my LIFE...(thats why sceptile is my avatar because I chose treecko as my first pokemon)

But hopefully they make a remake of those games for either the Wii U or 3ds or both!

YOSH! My first starter for the game was mudkip, swampert is a great wall! I first played Silver, I liked it at the time, now I see that it's complete junk (the gameplay was bad, and the pokemon in the game are terrible (with exception of tyranitar)). Then I was saving up my money from the job I had at the time (I forget what it was), but I was also paying rent, so it was hard, but I eventually had the money to afford sapphire and I got it!

Back