Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

[3DS] Pokemon Augmented Reality System

LegacyEeveeVGC

I have been throwing this idea around since I saw the " Augmented Reality System" shown off on the 3DS.
"Why was there not a Pikachu card included with the system?" I wondered.
That got thinking about how that system could be used for Pokemon games in the future.
Not just the main series games, but like fun minigames, TCG (Like the E-Reader only better), and something close to a "Hey you Pikachu" game.
What do you guys think?
Does Pokemon have something in store for the augmented reality system?
How do you think this system will be used in other games?
Discuss the Augmented Reality System

Seeing "AR" as an abbreviation for "Augmented Reality" messes with my brain as I have been trained to translate "AR" to "Action Replay". o_O

I think that Augmented Reality will be nothing more than a toy. I have a very hard time to imagine many realistic games being made with AR. Playing the TCG using this would be VERY difficult to code and play. Even so, I feel that it could be fun to make a pikachu card that reacts to what you do. Thus far, Augmented Reality is only used for adding 3D images of Nintendo characters to pictures. I can see it being a toy, but very little more than that. Maybe some very simple games can be played with it, such as Eye of Judgement, but I find it hard to imagine that real games will be implemented using Augmented Reality.

I was thinking more along the lines of like the e-reader cards that gave mini games and stuff mroe then the TCG games.

Oh lol then. If we had more minigame type games, I still don't know. The Augmented Cards would be more of a gimmick than anything. I have a hard time seeing the augmented reality interacting with the users. I can see it extending to the level that Eye of Judgement did... where the cards would react to motion, but not really play games in that regard. Like e-reader, scanning/looking at the cards would be a complete gimmick. It could work, but as far as I know, very little information can be put into the augmented reality cards. Maybe some 3D images can be found through it, but I highly doubt full games can be made. I would enjoy having interactions between the Augmented Reality Cards and motion on the camera (once again... a lot like Eye of Judgement).

Augmented reality is already significantly more than a toy. Heads up displays and other reality overlays have been used in vehicles, especially aircraft, for decades now. Applying this to people on the ground is a logical next step, and at the very least the military and construction industries are looking at it. I think it will end up seeing considerable use anywhere precision or quick navigation is necessary.

On the average joe level...yeah, I think it'll be nothing more than a toy. It'll be handy for navigation, though - think about having a map overlay on your glasses when you're walking - or in the corner of your windshield when you're driving, where your GPS probably already sits. Now you can see through it, though, and toggle it in and out of existence with the flick of a switch, or even a voice command.

Just a little slice of present-day futurism from someone who knows people who build that stuff. ^_^

Anyway, for Pokemon, I agree, an augmented reality Hey You Pikachu or similar would be pretty neat...though I think I'd save something like that for a more seamless platform than a 3DS.

Back