Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

3rd Place North Ridgeville Ohio BR Report!

Naki Feralkin

Seeing as how I'm nomnomnom'ing on my mexican food (which is absolutely delicious) and I don't want to jump right into Tales of Vesperia now that I'm home, I figure I'll do one of these.

I've been testing dozens upon dozens of decks in between Nationals and these Battle Roads, trying to get a grip on what would be the best choice for this season. I've tested dozens of things.. Magnevire, Gliscor, Bellossom, Nakihatter.. the list goes on. But one card really stood out to me. Luxray. After all the hyping of Kingdra and AMU, along with the possibility that Empoleon can still lag around as a reminder of his Imperial (somewhat...) end game last season, I really couldn't not play it, and seeing as how the only two Luxrays in the entire venue made Top 4/2 in their respective divisions, it can certainly prove itself.

I run mine pretty straight forward. Claydol, Plusle, Dusknoir line. Chatot... AND RESTORE ENERGY. MUAHAHAHA.

Anyways. onto the report.

Round 1 Vs. Kim Allen (Beedrill)

Being the first game in the first event in the season, I really honestly didn't know what to expect from this tournament, or Kim. She played a lot of Blissey/Electivire and Banette last season, so I was surprised when I saw a Weedle. I went first, had a Duskull start, but had a call energy, went for double shinx. She drops no bench on her 1st turn, and I switch to Shinx, drop a colorless, evolve to Luxio, and for the heck of it, drop a plus power and Fasten Claws. Flip heads. GG.

(1-0)

Round 2 Vs. Carol Meshik (Empoleon/Froslass)

My opponent is one I've played many time at many tournaments. Empoleon happens to be one of her usual decks, as I've seen it in a lot of her decks since last year, and my record against her is actually not very good.. I usually get unlucky and she manages to punt my face by a prize every time. X.X

And it certainly seemed that way again. I get another solo Duskull start with an even uglier hand. I can't even get things going fast enough as she has Empoleon already out by Turn 2. I carefully plan my strategy as she dual spahses a couple guys and stays away from my Shinx. Finally, I'm able to get a Claydol going and I get my Luxray AND a Lake Boundary. Previous turn she leveled up and didn't use Supreme Command.. so I'm cheering in my head a little bit. I drop Boundary, drop lightning, nuke for 180 with Plasma. After that moment, I get myself back in the game and just keep hitting with Luxrays. By the games end, I had about 3 back out on the field.

(2-0)

Round 3 Vs. Matt Webster (Gliscor/Lucario)

I mulliganed 3 flipping times in this game and still somehow came up on top.

I don't believe I've ever played this guy since I started playing, though I hadn't tested my match up against fighting decks, let alone Gliscor. I had to waste an early Duskull.. (AGAIN) to stall some time. He wasted his Spit Poison by evolving Gliscor too soon, in which turn I brought up Luxray and nuked him to oblivion. (I LOVE LEVEL X's! THEY TASTE DELICIOUS NOM NOM). He kept a steady amount of aggro going, but he couldn't keep up with the large amounts of damage I was dishing out.

(3-0)

Round 4 Vs. Andrew Meshik (Froslass/Bronzong/Starmie)

This deck is ANNOYING. Mostly the Bronzong part (I keep recover energy for the silly sleep effect, which i flip tails on every time.. blargh gargh), but in testing, I was cool, as long as they didn't top deck that frustrating TM-2.

I finally start with my ideal start, and get my Luxray out on Turn 2, in which he just goes ape crap and blowing Andrews guys up early on. I nuke him out for a while, and he stages a minor comeback with that stupid TM-2, but I manage to clean him up in the end (Thanks to recover energy! :3)

I seriously Night Maintenanced for that Shinx he killed (Since I had the Luxray in my hand still from the TM-2), then Roseanned it and an energy back and slapped down two Luxrays in one turn via rare candies. Then blew that stupid TM-2 up.

(4-0)

Round 5 Vs. Richie Kastl (Kingdra)

My hand sucked. Nuff said. I know my matchup against Kingdra is pretty epic, but I had to sad face at my opening hand. But hey, he's 330 repping. No big, right?

(4-1)

At the cut, standings are announced, and so far, I'm certainly keeping up the momentum I got from nationals. I make it into top cut thanks to Richie's epic resistance.

Standings at Top 4 cut:

1st: Richie Kastl
2nd: Me
3rd: Michael Allen
4th: Drew Holton

Poor Drew was playing Infernape feat Ray here, and Richie had beaten him in swiss earlier.. it wasn't exactly looking good there. :(

I thought I had a pretty good matchup against Mike, but seeing as how he's managed to take care of me quite a few times, I didn't quite do as well as I had hoped.

Top 4 Round 1 Vs. Michael Allen (Froslaass/Bronzong/Starmie)

Same matchup as round 4, but different person behind the wheel. I was confident, and I let it get to me. I thought I'd had the upper hand most of the game, and I did. Swiftly took prizes until I stupidly left myself wide open and let him take 3 prizes at once to take it. >.<

Round 2 was disgusting. I had momentum due to a Turn 2 Luxray, and blew through a lot of his stuff, and he just kept top decking good stuff! GRAH! I had no supporters or Claydol, and he eventually just came back and owned me.

But.. hey, good way to start the season, right? Keep it strong and build the momentum.

Props:
- Lathem's for running another superb event
- I GOT A FREE SHINX TOY
- All American's chicken wraps are absolutely delicious.
- Team 330 for doing excellent. Krish winning Juniors, Jacob placing second in seniors, Richie on top, and me in 3rd, ownsorzs.
- Luxray
- AJ for making sure my car doesn't die.

Slops:
- I suck at TGW. Especially fast TGW
- TM-2 Devolutor
- KINGDRA WINNING. BOO RICHIE PLAY A NOT SO DUMB DECK
- This water I just opened looks like someone spit in it. ew.

Great game today.

You started with a Chatot on our game, not a Duskull. I also started with a Baltoy, not a Weedle (you really did not say what I started with but you know). I wish I started with a Weedle!

Also the chicken wraps are fabulous, right?! I also found out how amazing their slushy’s are too, and I do not even like slushy’s!

Do not poke anyones eyes out with pens now Steve! :lol:

Good luck tomorrow if you are heading down, and see you next week?

Edit: I lied about your start, it was our rematch you started with Chatot, my mistake.

Last edited:
My aim's too impeccable! I'd never hit Jacob in the eye on purpose! XD

I'm going to North Olmstead, hoping to do a little bit better, switch some techs in and out for next week. I can't afford the gas to go down there anyways. But next week, yeppers! But Luxray is tight.. Probably gonna stick to him for a while.

Nice job! It was good to see such a broad field of different decks. I hope it stays that way!

I <3 Luxray. Alex played it to 2nd place in Juniors.

See you at North Olmsted!

Thanks for not including me in the slops there, you jerk.

Slops: Hearing about my girlfriend having a crappy day with a deck that was doing so well in playtesting.

Bah. At Sandusky, you're mine. Case closed.

Great Job with a Rogue style deck choice!!

Wish I could make it to the Northern stuff... but those dates and times are conflicting.. Judging Saturday and Sunday just ain't good for the family!

Will see you for some Cities though maybe!!

GL and keep it up!

Fish

Thanks for not including me in the slops there, you jerk.

Slops: Hearing about my girlfriend having a crappy day with a deck that was doing so well in playtesting.

Bah. At Sandusky, you're mine. Case closed.

Uh oh, someone's in trooooooouuuuublllleeeeee. LOL

Hey Heather, now don't get all worked up over it :wink: *inside joke*

Back