Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

3rd Place Prague European Cup Report with List

Darkmot

I decided to play MegaZone, as it seemed to be the best choice. (Before they told us, that Tops were only going to take 45 minutes. -.-)

Round 1 vs. Luc (CH) with Weavile/Slowking/Zoroark

I have got a pretty good start and so does he, but I can pretty much stop his lock with a turn two Magnezone and get ahead with some prizes.
Then sometime after a Professor Oak's New Theory I just draw crap I can't play down or discard, so he can topdecklock me and I am stuck with what I already have in play, what was just two Magnezone with no Energy and two Yanmegas. He Catchers up my Magnezone and starts to snipe my benched Basic Pokemons to draw enough prizes, that he doesn't loose to time-out.
At sometime most of the cards remaining in my deck are useful, so he has to give me a Junk Arm from the top of my deck, what makes me get rolling and then time-out is called and I sweep with getting two prizes, while he doesn't take a single one.
GG
1-0

Round 2 vs. Filip (CZ) with Typhlosion/Reshiram

I remember, that we both get out about turn 3, but I can Catcher up some Cyndaquils what is a problem for him, as he doesn't seem to have Revives in his decklist.
However, although he has two Cyndaquils less, he gets out two Typhlosions and thereafter some Energies attached to the Reshirams.
Fortunatly after judging him he is not able to get enough cards to kill my benched Magnezone with two Energies on it, so I Catcher up his first Typhlosion the next turn, play Pachirisu and attach two Energies to it and afterwards one to my other Magnezone, thatI would be able to kill the other Typhlosion too. After I kill the second Typhlosion too he is not able to do anything and I sweep.
GG
2-0

Round 3 vs. Otakar (CZ) with Zekrom/Shaymin/Pachirisu

I have seen many straight Zekroms this day, but I don't understand them, because they don't even have a chance to get a late game. Whatever, unfortunatly he wins the coinflip and gets ahead with two prizes, but he probably makes the biggest misplay he can make. As he is afraid of getting killed by an early Magnezone he kills my Yanmas with DCEs and PlusPowers, what makes it very easy easy for me to win this game. In the end he isn't able to OHKO any Magnezone, when I start to systematically kill his Zekroms. I just sweep.
GG
3-0

Round 4 vs. ???? (sorry I don't remember the name) with Zekrom/Shaymin/Pachirisu/Tornadus

I win the coinflip the first time in this tournament and after him having two mulligans I am able to get Magnezone turn two or donk with Pachirisu or Tyrogue.
Fortunatly he starts with only one basics and when we can start the game the basic is a Cleffa and I use a Communication for Tyrogue and the Donk.
GG
4-0

Round 5 vs. Filip (PT) with Yanmega/Magnezone/Zekrom/Bouffalant

This game was featured, so here's that part from the livecoverage:

- L starts with yanma and C with cleffa
- C pont, eeek and tails
- L pont, yanma and rescue on the bench and end turn
- C headss for clipcoin for cleffa, zekrom and phanpy benched, collector (2 yanmas, bouffalant), 2 yanmas benched, fight nrg to phanpy, retreats cleffa for yanma and ends turn
- L catcher for phanpy, benched yanma evolves into yanmega prime, cleffa benched, pont, psychic nrg to yanmega retreats it for 2nd yanmega nad kills phanpy
- C active yanma evolves into yanmega prime, copycat for 5 cards, sonicbeam to yanmega prime 70 dmg
- L collector (3 magnemites – 2 benched), catcher for yanma and yanemga kills yanma
- C active yanmega, bouffalant benched with dce, pont, sonicbeam to yanmega and kills it
- Active yanmega with psychic nrg, yanma and magnemite benched, light nrg to magnemite, judge, retreats yanmega for cleffa and eeek and heads for asleep
- C collector (yanma, phanpy), sonicbeam to kill cleffa
- L collector (tyrogue, yanma, pachirisu), komunikace yanma for magneton and evolves him on bench, retreats yanma for yanmega prime with psychic nrg, sonicbeam to active yanmega
- C rainbow nrg to bouffalant, phanpy and yanma benched, retreats yanmega for yanma and ends turn
- L evolves benched magnezone, catcher for phanpy, komunikace foryanmega and evolves it afterwards, yanmega kills phanpy
- C active yanma, shaymjin benched and power – reattached nrgs from bouffalant to zekrom, PP, pont, catcher for magnemite with light nrg, evolves active yanma into yanmega, komunikace for shaymin, retreats yanmega for zekrom and kills magnemite
- L activeyanmega, JA forkomunikace formagnezone , magnetic draw, psychic nrg to magnezone prime benched, judge, linear attack to cleffa to kill
- C dce to bouffalant benched, zekrom boltstrike kills yanmega
- L active yanmega, komunikace for nothing, magnetic draw, light nrg to magnezone and retreats him to his active position and kills zekrom
- C active yanmega, JA for catcher, copycat, sonicbeam to magnezone prime
- L draws, light nrg to magnezone prime and kills yanmega for his last prize card and WON THE GAME

GG
5-0

Round 6 vs. Kay (DE) with Yanmega/Lanturn/Bouffalant

I have a very solid start with a Collector and he starts with a lone Bouffalant and pretty much nothing in his hand, so he just passes and I get everything I need with this Collector.
When he doesn't have anything and just drops another basic, I pretty much know, that I'll win this game, so I go for a Yanmega and kill his basic Pokemon to get ahead on two prizes in the next turn.
He realizes that and has nothing useful to go with, so he scoops.
GG
6-0

Round 7 vs. Karl (DE) with Zekrom/Tornadus/Pachirisu/Shaymin

Basti (Hayen) featured this match, so I am going to copy & paste it here, but for first a little insight in the game:

We both get out slowly and it is pretty even, only have bad luck when I want to kill his benched Zekrom, what would've won me the game, and bench a Pachirisu with two lightning Energies and Magnetic draw for six cards without getting an Energy and then he kills the Pachirisu and gets the prize advantage, what in the end wins him the game when he topdecks a Catcher for the last prize.
GG
6-1

Round 8 vs. ???? (sorry I don't remember the name) with Reshiram/Typhlosion/Pichu

He starts with a Pichu and uses it to get some basics on his bench and I can get everything I want.
I have Communication, Catcher and a Judge and want to go for Yanmega to kill his Cyndaquils, when I realize, that all my three Yanmegas are prized. However I promote Cleffa and eeek to get a Magnezone next turn. He has nothing after my Judge and when I get the Magnezone in my next turn and a Yanmega out of my prizes I just sweep.
GG
7-1

Top 32 vs. Samuel (AT) with Beartic/Zekrom/Reuniclus/Vileplume

Game 1:
I get out very fast with a Magnezone turn two and can outspeed him. When he has the chance to go for his first Beartic I have two Magnezones on my bench with enough Energies to OHKO everything he promotes.

Game 2:
I get out a little bit slowly to his fast outcoming with a turn two or turn three Vileplume and I have problems getting my Magnezones into play, but I still see a chance to win and go on. In the end we get down to 1-1 on prizes and finally I can't get the Magnezone for the last prize and he wins this game.

Now Time-out is called and we have to play Sudden Death.
I start not really good, but he does. He is able to get a turn two Beartic, but plays a Zekrom onto his bench, so I Catcher it up and he needs one more turn to do something (and he would've needed 3 tunrs to kill somehting anyways). However I get a Magnezone in turn two attach an Energy to it and wait for the next turn to be able to OHKO something.
In the next turn I win the game and top32.
GG
8-1

Top16 vs. Maxime Rouvreau (FR) with Reshiram/Typhlosion

Game 1:
After him having two mulligans I have everything and start against his lone Cleffa, so I use a Communication to get Tyrogue and finally donk him.

Game 2:
I get out pretty good with a turn three Yanmega and he has problems on getting his Cyndaquils into play, so I can kill every Cyndaquil and then he is a little bit angry, because he can't do anything.
However I don't know why he played down the Cyndaquils if he knows, that he won't get the Typhlosion in the next turn, that seems to me like he misplayed alot.
GG
9-1

Top 8 vs. Stefan (AT) with Beartic/Yanmega/Absol/Reuniclus/Vileplume

Pretty funny deck, but in the end it worked like a normal Beartic/Yanmega/Vileplume, the Reuniclus and Absol seemed to be more of a tech, as he played just 2-1-2 Reuniclus and 1 Absol.
Basti featured this game too, so I will also copy and paste his report in here later, when he releases it.

Game 1:
I get a turn two Magnezone and both Magnetons with some Communications and can get everything I need and he has pretty much no chance to do anything, so I just sweep this game.

Game 2:
I get ahead on prizes, but don't get the needed Magnezones, so I have to stall a little bit with Tyrogue and it works just long enough to get a Magnezone. I get to draw 5 prizes and he just 3, but in the end I need another Magneton and am just not able to get it even after several Judges and Ponts, what was really getting on my nerves, so he can just kill my Magnemites and Yanmas to win the game.

Now Time-out is called and again I have to play a Sudden-death (damn this 45 minute Finals -.-)
He wins the flip and plays down a Yanma and Cubchoo and attaches a Water Energy to it and it looks really bad for me. However I get to go with a Magnemite and an Energy attached to it and start to try to stall with Cleffa's Eeek. I draw everything to win in the next turn and flip Tails for the win. However didn't like, that it was such a random Sudden-death after two quite good games.
GG
10-1

Top 4 vs. Finn (DE) with Yanmega/Magnezone/Bouffalant

This game was also featured, and even with a camera, so I'll make it interesting and exciting for and don't write about the game, so you can watch the video when it's put online and look on your own, why I lost.
(I hope it's ever going to be uploaded, otherwise I will write it here in about an week ;D)

GG
10-2

In the end I got third with a nice record of 10-2 and I hope you liked my report and here finally is my list:

Pokemon – 20

1 Cleffa
1 Tyrogue
1 Jirachi
1 Pachirisu
3 Yanmega
4 Yanma
3 Magnezone
2 Magneton
4 Magnemite

Trainer – 28

4 Pokemon Collector
1 Twins
1 Copycat
2 Professor Oak's New Theory
4 Pokemon Communication
3 Junk Arm
2 Switch
3 Pokemon Catcher
4 Judge
4 Rare Candy

Energy – 12

2 Psychic
1 Rescue
9 Lightning

Last edited:
Your report has only one unacceptable lack: games with Italian players. ;D

Congrats for your second top4 in a row and props to you and all other players who chose “non-straight line” decks like Megazone and Gothitelle!

Yeah thank you.
Hmh hoped that Lorenzo would win the top32 game, because then he'd have been my top16 oppenent and I would've been able to take revenge for worlds top16 xD :D

Hmh yes those "non-straight line" decks are near BDIF if there's enough time for them^^

Congratulations on your 3rd place! Making it to such a high spot for the second year in a row is quite impressive. ^^
You (along with Finn, Sascha, etc.) definitely showed that PrimeTime was still a great deck.
I actually hoped you would win in top 4 so I could face you in the finals, but that's mainly because you didn't play Bouffalant. ^^

Thank you^^
Yeah it was even 50-50 vs. Zekrom what I didn't expect.... always thought it was 40-60 or 45-55^^
Hmh that's cool, but believe me that additional Jirachi would've been even better than Bouffalant vs. Zekrom, especially with the random Rescue Energy ;D
I tested it alot and it is better to catcher-up your non-damaged Zekrom and kill it, because that would mean, that your active zekrom gets killed by a Yanmega if you can ko my Magnezone, what leaves me in a very safe spot ;D

I'm still more afraid of Bouffalant than Jirachi!
I see your point but when I'm knocking out a Magnemite on your bench before you get out Magnezone, you can get the revenge KO with Bouffalant, whereas Jirachi won't help you. But I admit that I haven't playtested much against PrimeTime.

You have two sides of the sword:
Either you die, because he can get too many Energies into play.
Or you die, because he has a counter: Bouffalant and Zoroark.
Otherwise MegaZone looses....

I like the version with Energy most, because in generell it has the best Match-ups.

Back