Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

60 or 20 GB PS3 owners?

Mew*

I'm planning to buy a PS3 tomorrow, one of the old 60 GB models since I consider them the best. Though I'm afraid that those have lots of problems with random breakdowns. So can anyone here share their experience with their old PS3 models. My uncle's bluray laser stopped working on his 60 GB once and it needed repaired.

We have a 60gb PS3.Its our second one since the first stopped reading discs one day. Overall its cheaper to buy a new PS3 and a used PS2 + memory card if you never want to run the possibility of your ps3 failing.

We have a 60gb PS3.Its our second one since the first stopped reading discs one day. Overall its cheaper to buy a new PS3 and a used PS2 + memory card if you never want to run the possibility of your ps3 failing.
Wow it's a shame the 60 GB ones have so many problems. It's not that I need the backwards compatability, it's just that I want it for the convenience of 2 consoles in 1. I already have a PS2.

I bought one of the old 20 or 40 gb (don't remember which) systems used earlier this year, haven't had any problems and the system is what, 3-4 years old now?

But yeah, always take precaution of course when dealing with a used system. Make sure it works (obvious), check for any non-obvious defects, etc etc. Or of course, if you don't mind not having backward compatibility, just get a new one. I originally hated the idea of not having backwards compatibility (and still do), but it's not that that bad...just inconvenient.

Yeah after thinking about it a lot I will get a new slim one even though it has less features and would cost me $50 more. I just read a ridiculous amount of posts online saying their older PS3s (mainly the 60 GB which I wanted) gave out, and some of them were only a couple days old saying theirs just went out. I haven't heard of reliability problems with the slims. Plus the new one would have a DualShock 3 instead of just a SixAxis, and those controllers aren't cheap!

By the way Regis_Neo, you can easily tell if you have the 20 GB if it has no wifi (only model without), no silver trim (only model without), and backwards compatibility through the emotion engine chip. The 40 GB however doesn't have the PS2 backwards compatibility.

Oh and I found out any PS3 will play PSone games, so that was neat to hear since I have tons of those so that makes it a little less bad.

Yeah after thinking about it a lot I will get a new slim one even though it has less features and would cost me $50 more. I just read a ridiculous amount of posts online saying their older PS3s (mainly the 60 GB which I wanted) gave out, and some of them were only a couple days old saying theirs just went out. I haven't heard of reliability problems with the slims. Plus the new one would have a DualShock 3 instead of just a SixAxis, and those controllers aren't cheap!

By the way Regis_Neo, you can easily tell if you have the 20 GB if it has no wifi (only model without), no silver trim (only model without), and backwards compatibility through the emotion engine chip. The 40 GB however doesn't have the PS2 backwards compatibility.

Oh and I found out any PS3 will play PSone games, so that was neat to hear since I have tons of those so that makes it a little less bad.

Yeah ok, I guess I do have the 40 GB one, I know both the 40 and 20 were water-downed versions, but I forgot the 20 GB one was like bare bones lol.

And the PS3 technically doesn't play PSone games as in with a disc; rather, you can buy and download them through their store.

I have the 80gig model from the Motorstorm bundle. I've had it for 2 years now, and like old faithful, it has always worked. Never had a single problem with it. I've since upgraded to a 320gig harddrive. Still no sign of giving up. But since I don't play PS2 games anymore, I play more PS3 than anything, and I have a square trade warranty on this thing, I'll just get a slim if it ever dies.

Just take the normal precautions. Take good care of it. Keep it in a well ventilated area. Dust it regularly. Back up your saves and stuff regularly. You should be fine.

And to the last poster....ALL PS3 models are backward compatible with PS1 games, disc or download. I have FF9 on disc that I can pop in my 80gig right now and play if I really wanted, and it will work. Get your facts straight before you post false information.

Just take the normal precautions. Take good care of it. Keep it in a well ventilated area. Dust it regularly. Back up your saves and stuff regularly. You should be fine.

If only more people took care of their systems...a can of compressed air every couple months will work wonders on increasing your systems life.

Well I take care of my stuff, it's just that apparently the older PS3s are prone to random failure from blu ray drives giving out or YLOD from over heating to the point that they need reflowed and a new application of thermal paste. Considering these are just home consoles, if they just sit there on a shelf or other flat surface with good ventilation they shouldn't fail, but apparently they do.

But anyway three days ago I bought a 120 GB slim and it is great. They generate less heat and use less energy. And yeah Dark Legendary Master you're right because even my slim plays PSone disks (I tested) and the stuff I've read online says all models do too.

I'm really liking it. I got Warhawk and Motorstorm and will be buying more games. Those two so far are super fun.

May I suggest getting Battlefield Bad Company. Its amazing. I've had the Slim since Aug 27th mainly because the price was right. I've played on the Slim for about 16 hours stright and got hot to a point but didn't get so hot that I was worried about it over heating.

Well I take care of my stuff, it's just that apparently the older PS3s are prone to random failure from blu ray drives giving out or YLOD from over heating to the point that they need reflowed and a new application of thermal paste. Considering these are just home consoles, if they just sit there on a shelf or other flat surface with good ventilation they shouldn't fail, but apparently they do.

But anyway three days ago I bought a 120 GB slim and it is great. They generate less heat and use less energy. And yeah Dark Legendary Master you're right because even my slim plays PSone disks (I tested) and the stuff I've read online says all models do too.

I'm really liking it. I got Warhawk and Motorstorm and will be buying more games. Those two so far are super fun.

I'm going to suggest the obvious with Little Big Planet, but I do love Warhawk, a lot. I just got a slim as well

I"ll check out the games you guys suggested. I already know I want Little Big Planet, but it is still really expensive so I'm giving it time to go cheaper.

I keep mine horizontally. I don't see how the vertical position would help with ventilation since there are no vents on the sides of the PS3 slim that would allow the heat to rise out.
I just put my systems in whatever position will have them fit best in my cabinet.

Supposedly you can leave it on 24/7 and it will be fine. The Folding@Home FAQ says that, but I don't want to put that much wear on it and use that much electricity!

Ok, this is a tad off topic...but does anyone else's PS3 turn on randomly? As in, one second it's off, the next it's on?

Back