Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

7th Place St. Louis, MO (Ogre's Games) Cities Report w/ Hydreigon

Hey Pokegym! This is going to be my first ever report on this forum. Today, I went to the Cities at Ogre's Games in St. Louis, MO with the usual people from Dizzy Dugout: Brandi, Chad, and a new girl, Stephanie. When we got there, we stopped at McDonald's and ate lunch.

Once we got to the store, we had time to set up and eat while we went over our decks. I decided the day before that I was going to play Darkrai/Hydreigon because it's the deck I'm the most comfortable with, and I feel like it is very powerful now that Skyla and Computer Search. Brandi has been playing Gardevoir/Cresselia/Sigilyph/Mewtwo for a while now and decided to stick with it. Chad was going to play Blastoise/Keldeo, but decided the day before that he didn't like it and decided to make a Klinklang deck. For reference, his attackers were Darkrai-EX, Keldeo-EX, Mewtwo-EX, Terrakion NVI, and Shaymin-EX. Stephanie had a deck that we whipped together for her that revolved around Sigilyph, Mewtwo-EX, and Virizion NVI. Nothing major to say there. I was hoping that I wouldn't do as bad as my previous two tournaments (Eureka, MO BR 2-3 and Crestwood, MO 2-4 with a bye). I thought that my deck could help me get to at least the top half of the standings. We later found out that there were 25 masters, and that we would have 5 rounds of Swiss and a cut to 4.

Round 1 vs Steve with Quad Bouffalant: Win. This was a close game, and I ended up coming back and KOing his only two Bouffalant he get out.

Round 2 vs Rick with Vilebox: Win. I 6-0'd him while he couldn't get much out. Not much to say here.

Round 3 vs Anthony with Darkrai/Mewtwo/Tornadus/Sableye: Win. This was another 6-0 game. Once again, nothing special happened the whole time. Sorry we couldn't have a good game, guys.

Round 4 vs Zak with Blastoise/Keldeo: Loss. Karma is cruel. He KOd my only Hydreigon and loaded up his Keldeo-EX with 9 energies to KO everything I got out for a 6-0 loss. At least I know what it feels like now.

Round 5 vs John Roberts with Klinklang: Loss. This was probably the second best game I had today, round 1 being first. Neither one of us got out a Klinklang or Hydreigon very fast, but I got mine out first and KOd a Landorus-EX. Afterwards, he KOd my Darkrai and I lost pretty much all of my energy. I never got another Hydreigon out and he KOd everything else I had for a win. With this victory, he made it to top 4. As I write this report, the results haven't been posted yet, so I don't know how he's done since I left after finding my placing out.

I ended up 3-2 and 7th place out of 25. Chad was 15th, Stephanie was 22nd, and Brandi was 24th. Overall, not a good day for us all. I was the only person with a positive record, and Chad completely regretted changing decks. Here is the top 4 for Masters, in order of their placing going into top cut:

1. Zak Krekeler with Blastoise/Keldeo
2. Colin Moll with Darkrai/Landorus/Sableye
3. John Roberts with Klinklang
4. Jared Kelly with Blastoise/Keldeo

When I find out the results of the tourney, I will post them here, but for now, thanks for reading! If you want my decklist, send me a message and I will gladly send it your way.

EDIT: Congrats to Colin Moll for winning this Cities! Second was one of the Blastoise players (not sure who), third was John Roberts, and the other Blastoise player got fourth.

Last edited:
Back