Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

a couple of PA cities, 1/5 and 1/6

Bolt

Okay I played in two NY cities and did horrible at both of them, I think 2-2 drop at Brooklyn and 2-2 at Manhattan. That followed my 2-2 drop, 3-2 and 2-2 at BRs. I needed somewhere fresh to play. I talked to my friend Jon, a non-Pokemon player, and we somehow got to talking about Philly cheesesteaks and he hyped me up for them and I talked to Shaw and he was going to 2 on the weekend of the 5th so I used Christmas money to pay for the trip. It also helped for me to go because of Shaw's massive cardpool, I wouldn've have to borrow 30 cards from 6 people...only from one person. I didn't tell anyone because I'm a horrible person, I'm sorry.

Conshohowken, PA (I can't spell it :frown:)
I was convinced by people that Fire Truk (Magmortar/Typhlosion/Delcatty) was the BDIF so I built most of that, missing only the Typhlosions and Magmortar Lv X. Shaw had two cards, I borrowed the rest from Greg Sauk when I got there. I noticed the tourney was STACKED...Frankie Diaz (top 5 in the world right now), Adam Capriola, Ian Ryave, Ben Sauk, Jeremy Maron...then Shaw pointed out how good the players I didn't know were.

Round 1 - Ben S w/ Absol/Blissey
He's one of the amazing seniors players who aged up this year, so I had to be readyyyy. He started Chansey I believe and ran through a couple of my Pokemon, but I came back with Scrambles and high HP Magmortars with healing.
1-0

Round 2 - Dolores D w/ Water.dec
Dolores always plays for her kids (who are both on fire right now) and didn't come with a deck so she borrowed one from the TO...it was basically all water but she never saw an evo so my Magmortar OHKOd everything.
2-0

Round 3 - Frankie D w/ Absolade
Every time I play him, it's EPIC and this game was no different. We both got moderate setups, although of course Gardevoir helped him out a lot. This went to time, or was about to, but he pulled it out. (Sorry if I was slow playing, I didn't mean to!)
2-1

Round 4 - Ian R w/ Gardylade/Furret
Must wins against world class players are always the worst, but I went into this one knowing exactly how to play the matchup. A couple of things didn't go right for me but I ended up with a lot more firepower late game and I pulled it out
3-1

Adam goes 4-0 drop before the standings go up, so I go from 4th seed to 3rd and have to play Shaw.

top 4 - Shaw w/ Absolade
Both games were REALLY bad for me, I got horrid starts (game 1 was like...Magmar, 4 energy, Night Maintenence, Celio against his Absol) and so he won this DESPITE his energy error. Shaw goes on to win the tourney. 3-2 finish for me.

We go back to Shaw's place, order food (cheeseteaks OBV.), playtest for a billion hours and I'm asking people what to play because I was having so much trouble with Absolade. We go through a couple ideas but I stick with Magmortar because of its many positive matchups.

West Chester, PA
Round 1 - Ian R w/ Gardylade/Furret
This game didn't have as much pressure since it was only round 1, but he wanted revenge from the previous day. We both got a decent game going, but Magmortar X is a beast late game and I win this one
1-0

Round 2 - Kyle M w/ Banette aka antigardy.dec
The deck was built with every possible anti-gardy tech, since so much of the metagame featured it. Through tons of damage spread and recycling of Mag Lv X and its tons of HP, I win this one.
2-0

Round 3 - Shaw L w/ Absolade
Even with like 20 basics or whatever in the deck, I mulligan about 3 times and start with like...Magmar and Corsola and no energy... I play a warp point to get out of the turn 2 loss against the candied Gallade but I end up losing by like turn 4.
2-1

Round 4 - Adam C w/ Gardylade/Furret
This one ended up really close, but the matchup still favors me if I make it to late game, which I did.
3-1

I'm 2nd seed against Rob G and Shaw's UNDEFEATED but going up against Banette. I make sure to shuffle better than I did before the previous day's top cut.

Top 4 - Rob G w/ Gardylade/Furret
game 1 - I don't see a Delcatty this game because of a subpar opening hand forcing me to grab Stantler instead of Skitty. I thought about scooping for time when it looked like I was about to lose, but once I got a Typhlosion out I felt better about the game and came back to win it.
game 2 - I got a slightly better start in this game and was able to play through the matchup as I had all weekend. 4-1

Top 2 - Kyle M w/ Banette
I got a good start both games, so I played this the same way as I did before, spreading damage all over the place so that everything had 60 or less HP left, so I'd be able to clean up with anything I sent out.
5-1

so I win a city championship featuring some really amazing players. I'd like to thank Shaw for having me, and all the PA players for being awesome people. It's always a pleasure when I get out there and hopefully I'll be back this season.

also thanks to Chad, Zach and Bobby for helping with list featurz!

team r! team pp! lafonte!

:thumb: good job Bolt, it was fun playing you in the top 4 at West Chester. Nice surprise to play something other than the reg gardy stuff.

If you aren't teching for Magmortar with Gardy/Gallade (or have ridiuclous luck with Absol version) you're a pretty sick underdog to the deck. Shocking how many people FAILED to realize this during Cities. Certainly could have resulted in less domination and everyone playing the same deck.

Great job, Bolt! :D

Back