Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A Feature On My Brother In The News

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriknance

Hi everyone. My brother, Kevin Nance, was recently featured in the news for his 2nd place finish at this year's Pokemon TCG US Nationals Tournament. I thought I would share a link to the online version for everyone to enjoy. They did a pretty good job of representing the game, though the whole "it's not child's play anymore" thing is a bit overplayed at this point. Can't complain with making the news though! :tongue:

Here's the link: "Playing Pokémon: It’s not just child’s play"

My favorite part is towards the end. It calls to mind all those times I played certain cards not because the Pokemon was cool, but because the card was effective:

“After a while, you play for a long time and you have a couple of cards you do really well with. I won two regionals in a row with Palkia. I knew how to play him really well. I thought he looked really stupid. He looks really goofy. But after a while you kind of have to like the card and the Pokémon, you know, thank you a lot, Palkia.

“And Mewtwo — it’s the main card I played in my deck this past nationals, so I have to kind of like it. It’s definitely my favorite.”

Update: Another short on Kev in a local paper here!

Last edited:
it only makes it so much sweeter when your actual favorite Pokemon is actually decent

Not entirely accurate ("In the early rounds, play was single elimination — win and move on."), but a nice read overall, good for your brother!

The news interviewed me too, but it was more about my accomplishments as a player. It's nice to see this article because when I read my article the next morning, they made it sound like it was a really childish thing lol

That's awesome - congrats!

But no amount of news will ever make Pokemon socially acceptable among adults though. Good try, news reporter, good try.

“We’ve got nothing to do,” Erik said. “You want to start playing Pokémon again?”

Erik, we've still not really got anything else to do in all honesty

"He and his brother are part of a team of Pokémon players from around North Carolina who construct decks and play test games using them to ready themselves for tournaments."
#VagueMissingNo.Reference

Awesome article!

Last edited:
“We’ve got nothing to do,” Erik said. “You want to start playing Pokémon again?”

Erik, we've still not really got anything else to do in all honesty

"He and his brother are part of a team of Pokémon players from around North Carolina who construct decks and play test games using them to ready themselves for tournaments."
#VagueMissingNo.Reference

Awesome article!

Haha, I show up in the article as some lazy college bro. To be fair, I only found out about competitive Pokemon because I was trying to sell those cards on Ebay and make a quick buck. It's a good thing I decided to put those cards to use! :thumb:

And Guy, I would think up a reply to your statement, but I simply don't have the time. :wink:

Update: Kev is featured in another short from a local newspaper here. Just thought I'd share!

The news interviewed me too, but it was more about my accomplishments as a player. It's nice to see this article because when I read my article the next morning, they made it sound like it was a really childish thing lol

I'd like to check the article out if you don't mind. Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back