Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A Finally Updated Polistall!

Before I say anything I would like to thank a couple people for helping me get to this point with Polistall. I'd like to thank Dendrobatida for helping me with the list for this deck, and I would like everyone to know that he did write an article for this deck, naturally because he did so well with the deck, but he was kind enough to allow mine to go up instead. and I'd like to thank everyone who has played Polistall and apreciated its amazing ability. But enough of that lets talk about the deck. This deck is more of a stalling deck then anything else, thus the name Polistall. But that doesn't mean your not dishing out tons of damage in the proccess. Lets look at the deck list first.

Article Title: Polistall
Author: Dan Conn
Date: 02/10/2006
Format: Modified, DX - DF
Latest Set: EX: Dragon Frontiers

Polistall

Pokemon:15
4 Poliwag UF
3 Poliwirl UF
3 Politoed ex
2 Diglett CG
2 Dugtrio CG
1 Dunsparce LM

Trainers:32
4 Claw Fossil
4 Root Fossil
4 Mysterious Fossil
3 Professer Elm's Training Method
4 Cursed Stone
2 Windstorms
1 Scott
4 Field Worker
4 Copy Cat
2 Great Ball

Energy:13
10 Water
3 Fighting

Ok, first lets look at the cards that make this deck work.

Key Pokemon

displayimage.php

This pokemon is simply amazing. This is about the only card that can either hit the bench, hit and retreat, or do an incredible amount of damage! Being able to choose between these three attacking options is a great thing to have in any game. But you might be thinking "That is not going to give you a win all on its own", and your right, its not. The attack that makes this deck so competitive is Punch and Run. This attack will allow you to retreat Politoed ex to a benched pokemon after attacking. But what will you retreat that won't just give your opponent another prize in place of Politoed ex? Well these next cards below are what holds this deck together.

Supporting Cards

displayimage.php

This card is really a life saver for this deck. The reason its here is because of its body, Sand veil. Because of that body we are no longer going to need to worry about the bench being hit. But why is our bench so important? Well check out these next supporting cards.

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

"WAIT! hold on a second. What on earth are three different fossils doing in this deck? Last I checked Politoed ex didn't evolve from a fossil. Let alone three!" Haha, well if that is what you were just thinking then I completly understand. This is probably the strangest deck build you have ever seen. But just give me a chance to explain myself. Take a look at the basic Strategy of this deck.

Basic Strategy

As I said before this decks basic strategy is stalling and defending. These fossils are what help you do that. These Fossil's have many neat effects, but they all have one thing in common. Part of there effect is that when they are knocked out, your opponent doesn't take a prize. If you haven't figured out why Politoed ex and Fossil's work great together yet I'll explain it. Remember Politoed ex's second attack, Punch and Run? It allows you to switch it with a benched pokemon after attacking. So what you want to do is switch to a Fossil. Bringing up a Fossil will allow you to stall while completely powering up 1 or 2 Politoed ex. Because of the Fossil's effect they will give you an extra turn of setting up another politoed ex, as well as protect your first Politeod ex. While you are dishing out 40 damage a turn your opponent isn't able to do a thing to you besides waist an attack on a Fossil. After you have used up all of your Fossil's it will be time to seal your opponent's doom. Don't forget the reason you are stalling(besides the fact the your KOing them slowly with Punch and Run and them not being able to touch you)is so you can power up a second politoed ex. This is were politoed ex's third attack comes in, Swallow Up. The attack does 120 damage as long as your politoed ex's HP is higher then the defending pokemon. Because of Punch and Run, you shouldn't ever have a problem with that. And because you have another politoed ex powered up they can basically say their prayers. Even if for some reason you can't use Swallow Up you have Upward Lick to back you up. This will allow you to hit the bench with 30-50 Damage. So if they retreat to a new attacker, you can still KO the original attacker. Another great use for Upward Lick is to KO any stage 2 pokemon in 2 shots. I'm sure your thinking, "This isn't that amazing. They are just going to attack my bench". Wrong! Remember Dugtrio? With a Dugtrio set up you Politoed ex is basically invincible on the bench!

Other important pokemon

Dunsparce-Colorless
HP-50

Poke-Body - Dead Lock

As long as Dunsparce is your active pokemon, your opponent's Dunsparce can't attack.

C - Down Draw

Draw 2 cards from the bottom of your deck.

C - Tripping Turn

The defending pokemon is now confused. You may switch Dunsparce with 1 of your benched pokemon.

Weakness-Fighting
Resistance-None
Retreat Cost-1

The first attack, Down Draw can be usefull in giving you a better start or grabing a card you need, but this card was put in for Tripping Turn. This attack not only confuses the defending pokemon, but it also can switch to the bench after confusing. Just like Punch and run, you will protect your self, while driving your opponents crazy! Confusing and retreating is very helpfull against all decks. You may not realize how much this card helps, but let me say that there and times where with out it you would lose.

Expert tips and strategies for true Polistall players

Ah, what I am about to share with you is why this deck gets really interesting. Ok, in this game there are basically 2 different ways you can beat your opponent. First would obviously be winning with the least amount of prizes through KOing your opponent's Pokemon with your pokemon's attacks. The second way you can win is by winning with the least amount of prizes through using trainers to KO your opponent's pokemon (Mainly Stadiums). The third is by causing your opponent to run out of cards in their decks. Now, would you believe me if I said that Polistall is designed to be able to win through any of these methods? Its true! Each card in this deck is used specifically with one of these methods.

First off, the first method. This is a fairly easy strategy, and is already explained in the section above titled "Basic Strategy". You use the Punch and Run strategy.

Next, the second method. A lot of decks right now are stuffed with powers. Cursed Stone is obviously going to hurt those decks, but Cursed stone combined with Dunsparce and Windstorm can be deadly! Most decks never play more then 4 Stadiums, so the trick is with this strategy is to let them throw down the first stadium and use a windstorm to knock it out. After that you will allways have 1 extra Cursed stone to play. But why does Dunsparce help with this? Well, if your playing against Power loaded deck, there are situations when setting up a Politoed ex isn't even necessary. If you can grab your Dunsparce then all you have to do is to keep confusing them and retreating until they are dead.

Finally, the third method, which I personally think is the most fun! I'm sure you noticed ther strange list of drawing cards in the deck list. 4 Field worker and 4 Copy Cat? Ok, Field worker will give you 3 cards automaticly, which is nice, but it also lets your opponent draw a card. Now, in most cases this makes your opponet really happy. And durring your match I'm sure it will make them happy, but thats exactly what you want them to do. Because this deck specializes in stalling, its one of the few decks that can actually win by decking your opponent. The game usually goes on for so long that your opponent can very easilly deck himself. And letting him draw more cards with Field worker is jsut helping your cause. Kinda cool huh?

Other trainers

Professer Elm's Training Method:
This is here to find and evolved pokemon needed quickly, but remember it can also be used to get a Holon's electrode.

Great Ball:
Great Ball helps alot in getting out your Poliwag and Dunsparce, because you have to start with a fossil if you draw one you don't want to get stuck with out a basic.

Cursed Stone:
This card will really hurt any deck with a lot of powers, like LBS, Ludicargo or any other deck that plays Pidgeot. And because none of your pokemon have Pokepowers, it won't do a thing to you.

Windstorm:
This is helpful in the Stadium strategy, but its mainly here to tech against Raichu eegs. Because it plays Cessation Crystal your Dugtrio isn't going to work witch means you are going to need something to get rid of it.

Scott: Scott is here to basicly grap any Stadium that would be suit your situation, but it can also grab a needed suporter.

Copy cat and Field worker: These grap the cards you need faster. Look at the "Expert tips and strategies for tue Polistall players" section for more details.

Energy

Water: You might think 10 is a little much, but because Swallow Up needs 4 energy, and 2 of then need to be water, you don't want to get stuck running out of energys, considering you want to power up 2 Politoed ex.

Fighting:Obviously this is here just in case you need to attack with Dugtrio.

Matchups

MetaNite:
This should be a very easy matchup. Because nothing can hit the bench, your stalling plan will work perfectly on them. This deck also is filled with Pokemon Powers. Cursed Stone will rip this deck apart. And You usally will be able to KO anything they throw at you with Swallow Up. Nothing they have has more they 100 HP, even with Metal its rare they will suviver an attack with Swallow Up. They will just have to sit back and wait for you to finish them off.
75-25

SMP:
This matchup might be a little more difficult, but it shouldn't do anything more then stall your victory. The only thing that would cause you a problem is the metal energies. But unless they are able to get out 4 metal energies onto Scizors ex, doing 10-20 each turn combined with Claw Fossil's Poke-Body should be enough to KO Scizors ex(considering Scizors only has 120 HP). And, if you want to get a little tricky, you can catch them by surprize by KOing their Metagross it 2 shots with Upward Lick. And don't ever forget how much Cursed Stone is going to hurt them in the game.
65-35

Typhlosion-Liability: This is going to be a pretty even Matchup on both ends. In Politoed ex's favor you are allways going to be on the bench because of Punch and Run. Not to mention that Typhlotion is Weak to Water. In Tyroot's favor They play Pokemon Reversal and Pow! hand extention. If they are able to grab a Politoed ex with one of those cards, and they have a Weezing waiting, it will be really bad for you. I think Politeod ex has a slight advantege, but it will defenitly be a difficult matchup.
55-45

Ludicargo:
Again, another easy matchup. Ludiculo can't hit the bench in any way possible. And that deck is so jam packed they usually don't have much room for Pow or Reversal. You are going to have fun tormenting them with Punch and Run while they just watch from a distance. And Cursed Stone is also going to really hurt them because all of there pokemon have powers. This is definitly an easy win.
70-30

Powdacham : This is probably going is going to be a pretty easy match up. Medichan ex might be able to hit the bench with pure power, but it shouldn't be fast enough to take down a Politoed ex. Thankfully Medicham and Espeon only have 110 HP, and you will be hiting them for 40 with Punch and Run. It will only take 3 turns to KO then with Punch and Run or you can just easilly KO with Swallow Up.
60-40

T2 Arcanine ex: This matchup might be a little tough at the beginning, but you should be fine by turn 3. with punch and Run you will do 80 damage a turn! Arcanine ex can't hit the bench with more then 20 either. They might get lucky with a Reversal and Ko a Politeod ex, but it shouldn't be enough to win.
60-40

Other versions of Polistall

Grumpig-Psychic
HP-80

P-Psyshock 20

Flip a coin. If heads the definding pokemon is now paralyzed.

CCC-Teleport Blast 40

After you attack, you may switch Grumpig with 1 of your Benched pokemon.

Weakness-Psychic
Resistance-None
Retreat Cost-2

As you can see, Grumpig's second attack, Teleport Blast, has the exact same effects as Politoed ex's Punch and Run. Unfortunetly Grumpig's Maximum HP is 80. It just doesn't hold up against decks like Rock-Lock. But there are some advanteges in this deck. For instance the fact that Grumpig is a stage 1. This will allow you to put a 4-4 line in. more lines mean more attackers. Another reason is the Grumpig is Psychic. Medadacham ex is weakness to Psychic. That gives you the advantege because you are doing 80 damage a turn while Medacham ex is only doing 30.

Shedinja-Psychic

Poke-Body-Empty Shell

When Shedinja is Knocked Out , your opponent doesn't take any Prize Cards.

C-Extra Curse

Put 2 damage counters on the defending pokemon. If the defending pokemon is pokemon-ex, put 4 damage counters insted.

Weakness-None
Resistance-None
Retreat Cost-None

Obviously this would be in place of Fossils. Although, to be honest, I'm not sure why this would be a good replacement. The only thing I could think of is the fact that it has an attack. But using it means depending on yet another evolution line. And if you wanted more then 4 you would need Farmers/retreivers. Just not worth it in my opinion.

If your still not sure whether or not this deck is competitive you should look at a couple tourney placing's that Polistall has received.

15+ NC State Championship 2005-06 - Polistall 1st Dendrobatida
15+ UT State Championship 2005-06 - Polistall 1st
15+ PA State Championship 2005-06 - Polistall 4th
11-14 NY State Chapionship 2005-06 - Polistall 1st
15+ Southeast Regonal Championship 2005-06 - Polistall 1st Dendrobatida
15+ Mountain West Regonal Championship 2005-06 - Polistall 4th
11-14 Northeast Regonal Championship 2005-06 - Polistall 2nd

Well, there it is. I hope you enjoyed reading Polistall. Please LMK what you think. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sweet deck!

I finally have 3 politoeds coming in the mail. I've been waiting to make this deck for a long time.

Great list

Slash in the sand said:
Powdacham : This is probably going is going to be a pretty easy match up. Medichan ex might be able to hit the bench with pure power, but Holon WP will prevent that untill your ready to bring out your Politoed ex. Poliwrath is also very helpfull in this match up because its not an ex and you can put WP on it. Thankfully Medicham and Espeon only has 110 HP, and you will be hiting them for 40 with Punch and Run. It will only take 3 turns to KO then with Punch and Run or you can just easilly KO with Swallow Up.
Holon Wp doesnt work on Ex-Pokemon...:rolleyes:

Personally, I'd rather run 2 Desert Ruins, 3 Cursed Stone, and 2 Battle Frontier.

Bonz: The Holon WP protects the poliwag/poliwhirl as it sits on the bench. You only evovle into the Toad when you are ready to fight with it. DOH

Keith

BROCKS TWIN said:
You mention Giant stump but don't have any on the deck list. Also you have 32 trainers not 31.

Your right, I'm sorry, I just last night took out the Giant Stump for Desert Ruins and I had forgoten how many times I mentioned it. I will update it right away.

I like polistall its a good deck but do you mind adding the dragtrode match-up to since it is a very viable deck/match-up. The dragtrode match would be an intersting one since you run frontiers and they run ruins but sneasals bench manipulation along with dragtrodes fast tempo makes for a good match-up although poliwrath will help with the match-up.

coolmanderzx said:
I like polistall its a good deck but do you mind adding the dragtrode match-up to since it is a very viable deck/match-up. The dragtrode match would be an intersting one since you run frontiers and they run ruins but sneasals bench manipulation along with dragtrodes fast tempo makes for a good match-up although poliwrath will help with the match-up.

I'll just tell you now that dragtrode is practicly an auto win because they can't hit the bench, and they have no way of getting your Politoed ex stuck active, but I will add it to the Match ups like you requested.

Slash in the sand said:
I'll just tell you now that dragtrode is practicly an auto win because they can't hit the bench, and they have no way of getting your Politoed ex stuck active, but I will add it to the Match ups like you requested.
What do you mean it's an autowin?? If they Drag off Polioed a few times or the other evolutions. They can knock you ut quickly. It's deffinately not an autowin. More like 60/40.

WHISCASHEX said:
What do you mean it's an autowin?? If they Drag off Polioed a few times or the other evolutions. They can knock you ut quickly. It's deffinately not an autowin. More like 60/40.

My question is, how will they "drag" you off? They don't have room for Reversal or Pow!.

You have a Poliwhirl w/ WP on your bench so they cant drag it off. then you get 5 nrg on it and evolve and swallow the sneasel.

Venusaur said:
You have a Poliwhirl w/ WP on your bench so they cant drag it off. then you get 5 nrg on it and evolve and swallow the sneasel.

You are exactly right. and besides, even if they do drag you off, you can just punch and run back to the bench.

your matchups look pretty accurate,i'm i can personally attest to this and i'm sure gymbo can too ;)
anyway you might want to include flariados now. it can give this deck a run for it's money. anyway nice article.
-spaz

Back