Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A mistake in a popular magazine.

bullados

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?
Gamepro issue 189 said:
Q: I know Pokemon has been a big his for a while ("was" a big hit I suppose), and my friends and I wanted to know what started it all. What came first, the games, the cards, or the show? Just curious. And what is up with Wizards of the Coast still making new sets of Pokemon cards and games? Wouldn't they figure out by now that Pokemon was so three years ago?
-Andrew Self - via internet

A: "Was" a big hit? Think again. Pokemon Ruby and Saphire were the number 2 and 3 best selling games last year, beaten only by the mighty Madden. But to answer your question, the game came first, launching in Japan in 1996; levend states that it took game designer Satoshi Tajiri 6 years to fully workout all of Pokemon's elements. The TV show and card game followed with the hole phenomenon coming Stateside in 1998. Wizards still makes Pokemon cards for the same reason that Nintendo still makes Pokemon games -- People want 'em.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's wrong here... I've already emailed Gamepro to inform them of their mistake.

EDIT Hope you don't mind, I edited the post so the quote worked correctly :)

Last edited by a moderator:
At least he got the "Pokemon Ruby and Saphire were the number 2 and 3 best selling games last year, " part right. The other way around would have been even more inexcusable. Someone needs a factchecker.

Well you gotta look at this. It was a huge hit when wizards was at the gym sets. Now they may be big but no so big its flying off the shelves. Give nintendo till january,05 and then the words: "is big" will appear. Nintendop is still trying to get thier wings of respect in the TCG wor;d. They will get it it will just take time.

still...

It's a national magazine with over 3 million subscriptions. The least that I expect out of them would be a small amount of research before printing stuff like that.

Your right and the writer probabily was looking into the now and not how the future will be. Some writrers do that and dont see how the future will play out. If he did look ahead he would of seen nintendo the way they are rolling along will be making this game into a great sucsess.

I doubt the writer's thick or anything. The mistake was spawned in the question, and, since WotC is a name still strongly associated with the game, the journalist just slipped up a little. I can't picture myself making a mistake that obvious, but then, I probably play the game more than that guy does.

Incidently, I'm not familiar with GamePro; is it a card game magazine or a computer game mag? If it's the latter, then it's even more excusable. Not completely, of course... :)

GamePro is usually low quality. I'm not surprised.

Do you remember when Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic came out and it seemed to suck all gaming journalism into a black hole of praise of how good it was? [At least that's what I percieved, and it's all Penny Arcade talked about for a week.] The issue of GamePro that covered KOTOR incorrectly stated that there is no teleporting system in the game, when in fact there is a pretty good one. You can warp back to your ship in the spaceport pretty much anytime that isn't during battle, so you don't have to saunder back through the whole level just to leave. They gave KOTOR a 4.5 and every football game to come out that year a 5 [out of 5].

Expect more mistakes in the future from them.

Back