Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A question about pre-release tournaments and such... (St. Louis)

UncleBob

I'm slightly interested in going to the pre-release event at the Gathering Grounds in St. Louis on the 6th of March, but I do have a few questions...

First, I don't play the card game... just collecting the e-Reader cards - so would it be a big crime if I went and registered and didn't actually play? I could bring my Game Cube and my Pokémon Colosseum pre-sell disc and download Jirachi for everyone, if that would count.

It'd just be neat to check something like this out, get the cards a little early (and get the pre-release card without bugging Rainbow Richards for it!) and show some support for it all.

So, what's the verdict? :)

If I recall the Sandstorm prerelease correctly (I was unable to attend a Dragons prerelease), you had to enter the tournament to get the draft packs. Since there won't be any for sale this time, the only way to get the cards would be to enter the tournament.

Theoretically, you could enter the tournament and then just forfeit each round, I suppose, but that wouldn't be much fun for your opponent, I'd think.

Yeah, that's the thing... I don't want to ruin it for anyone. I'd be willing to pay the registration fee and get the six boosters, but I don't want to screw up the bracket or what not... but I'd like to go...

bob, most likely me and psyduck will be helpin MEG45 judge, and i don't know about vince, but i wouldn't think that would really be fair to some people if u just forfeited......

the man to give u the best answer is vince (MEG)

remember, there are some huge prizes for top placers.........

so u might as well try to play and get more packs.......

you only get 6 to start with........ and it being a draft doesn't require ur own deck (even nrg is supplied)

i don't know, i don't like the idea of just forfeiting since the prizes depend not only on points but on opp win %

VINCE...... what does the grand master have to say?

That's what I'm wondering though, can I "register" but not be included in the tournament and such?

*I* don't like the idea of forfeiting either... so, as far as I'm concerned, that's not really an option and if I can't register/not play then I just won't be making the two hour drive... I don't want to ruin the fun for anyone (and I *really* don't want to ruin their chances at prizes)

As far as playing and trying to get more packs... well... I don't know how to play! ;)

But, again, I can offer my services by bringing my Gamecube and my Pokémon Colosseum Bonus Disc and downloading Jirachi (and updating the Berry program) for anyone who wants it - if that helps at all... ;)

How to play

Pokemon-TCG.com's Flash tutorial (scroll down to the link)

It's not as interactive as previous ones I've seen (such as the outdated one on the Pokemon 4ever DVD that can be downloaded to your computer), but it should teach you most of what you need to know.

Or you could show up early and see if someone there would teach you.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm going through the demo and reading the rules and such and think it wouldn't be too difficult to learn how to play - however I'd probably suck really bad.

So, questions...

First, if I show up early, should I put together my own deck in hopes that someone would play a quick game with me before hand so I can get a decent idea of what I'm doing?

Second, if I do play and I play badly, will that screw up everyone else who plays against me - as far as their score and chances of winning prizes and such?

Third - a 40 card deck for pre-releases, right? Does that include the energy cards (that are provided, right?) or is it 40 cards from the six booster packs + provided energy cards?

Fourth - What all would I need to bring? $15 to register, of course, and money for food and what not... Extra boosters can't be sold at the event, right? So I wouldn't need to bring extra cash for that... Is trading allowed? Should I bring my extra (non TM/TA) cards and such to trade? Should I bring damage counters and such either? And should I bother to bring my GCN to let anyone upload Jirachi to their GBA cart?

And, finally, I'm 23 years old... how out of place am I going to be? ;)

UncleBob, it would be great to meet you.

There is NO RULE against going in, drafting your packs, receiving your prerelease, and withdrawing from the tourney...it will not mess up the pairings.

Thanks

Meganium45 -

(oops - didn't mean to leave the quote...)

First - you can't put a deck together early, because the sequence of events at a Prerelease is that all players are seated, given their 6 packs, and given a set time limit to make a deck.

Third - yes, 40 cards including the basic energy cards.

Fourth - damage counters/randomizer (dice or coin), trade stuff, the GCN would be a hit (unless the To already has plans for that) - BTW, do you have a portable screen?

Finally - you'll fit right in! My youngest is 6, I'm 44, so you're right in the middle :).

Last edited:
>23 years old, heh, you may actually be young compared to some who play!

Spiffy!

>First - you can't put a deck together early, because the sequence of events at a Prerelease is that all players are seated, given their 6 packs, and given a set time limit to make a deck.

Well, I was meaning put a non-prerelease deck together early and play a game before anything started to see if I understand it as well as I think I do...

>Fourth - damage counters/randomizer (dice or coin), trade stuff, the GCN would be a hit (unless the To already has plans for that) - BTW, do you have a portable screen?

No portable screen, unfortunatly. :( I want one. ;)

>Finally - you'll fit right in! My youngest is 6, I'm 44, so you're right in the middle .
Do you have plans to be at this one, RR?

Also, I'm going to post a quick deck I put together over on the deck help post... let me know if I have any idea what I'm doing, or if I need loads of help. ;)

I thought it was quite the travel, but you said I'd fit in, so I wondered. ;)
Naw, that's a bit of a drive for me and it's taking a lot for me to get my woman to consider going to St. Louis for something as "geeky" as Pokémon cards. ;)

UncleBob said:
and it's taking a lot for me to get my woman to consider going to St. Louis for something as "geeky" as Pokémon cards. ;)

Not to mention that you're going to travel to not play! :p

23! I thought you were older. These kids! :cool:

meganium45 said:
UncleBob, it would be great to meet you.

There is NO RULE against going in, drafting your packs, receiving your prerelease, and withdrawing from the tourney...it will not mess up the pairings.

Thanks

Meganium45 -

So this rule from the floor rules doesn't count?

Early Departure for Limited-format tournaments
Players are expected to play at least the first round of any Limited tournament.
If a player leaves the event before the first round of pairings have been posted, they will receive a match loss for that round before being removed from the event.

They can drop, but they have to take a match loss from one of the rounds. Otherwise you are just buying packs. This would be like parents signing up and droping so kids could "buy" the packs at the tournament. So yes it does actually screw up the tournament. That player would have a lower opponent win % then others. Only way it wouldn't is if you make it clear cut and don't award prizes by opponent w/l %

Last edited:
It'd probably be even harder to get her to consider if if she knew I was looking at playing... ;)

She picks on me constantly because I collect Pokémon cards. ;)

But it's okay, she reads/collects Romance novels, so it all works out. ;)

BOB,

couple things

first, yeah build a deck (modified or not, it doesn't matter for a tutorial) and i know there are plenty of people there that would play you, try to show up at like 11 and it'll be all good

no you won't be out of place, i'm 19, psyduck is 21, mega murkrow is 19 and MEG45 IS ANCIENT!!!!! lol, j/j vince

if you have them, sleeves would really help, if you don't have any, i'm sure there will be tons for sale at GG

and yes it is 40 cards TOTAL........ including nrg

unlike normal play, the deck is only 40 cards and you only deal out 4 prizes instead of 6

well i hope this helps

any other questions?? just let me know

So, if I end up going, who should I contact to see if it'd be okay to bring my GCN/ PC Bonus Disc (and if I need to bring a television set or not)...

Back