Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Abomasnow: The New Age of Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowlion

"made few changes to the deck as listed below in its new version....won 1st place at Cities today with it going 6-1"

I am a Spread kind of player at heart. In a metagame where Empoleon has seemed to disappear, I have been yearning for the return of spread. I even tried a Abomasnow/Empoleon deck at one cities this year going 2-2. That is when the Power of Abomasnow occured to me (he was the MVP for me that day) that deck was an okay idea but had awful setups which attributed to both of my losses.

Pokemon:25

4-4 Abomasonw (SF)
2-2 Bronzong (MD)
2-2 Claydol
2-2 Mewtwo LVX
1-1 Cresslia LVX
1 Spiritomb
3 Unown G

Supporters/Trainers/Stadiums:20

3 Roseanne's Research
4 Bebe's Search
2 Professor Rowan
1 Cynthia's Feelings
1 Luxury Ball
2 Moonlight Stadium
2 Night Maintenance
3 Warp Point
1 TS-2 devoluter

Energy:15

4 Call Energy
4 Water
7 Psychic

Cards/Strategy:

SNOVER/ABOMASNOW: Best to start off with in every matchup. Snover's Powder Snow attack is not to bad 10 damage plus Sleep, but best if can start by attaching a Call Energy to him. Abomasnow is the main attacker in the deck with a more than annoying :pbody: reducing all damage to your pokemon by 2 when he is your active pokemon. His attack Snow Play for :colorless:colorless energy is the main attack doing 20 damage to all non Water or Grass Pokemon. His 2nd attack Below Zero for 3 energy does 60 damage when you need that little extra push.

BRONZOR/BRONZONG: Another Spreading Pokemon for mid-game. Great for taking out Claydols and other heavily damaged Pokemon with :ppowr: His attack Coating for 3 energy is good for 60 damage as well (along with a 20 damage reduction to Bronzong next turn). In addition great for taking out Gengar and Dusknoir LVX.

BALTOY/CLAYDOL: Does anyone need to be told the reason?

MEWTWO/LVX: For me this is a strict metagame addition. Gigas and Amu type decks have become fairly popular in my area, this shuts them down making it almost an auto-win. Other than that his LVX attack Giga Burn for 3 doing 120 can be used when really needed to take out that big stage 2.

SPIRITOMB: With the spread in this deck and the low damage output. His CIP :ppowr: adding the 1 extra damage counter to all damaged pokemon and even his attack of being able to move a damage counter for :psychic: can be useful.

UNOWN G: We all know attaching a few of these to key pokemon against decks suchs a Gengar and Dusknoir can really hurt them only reason for him to be here. To be fair though I have seen him kill a Machamp LVX before in a League Game :lol:

Additions: Would love to find room for Cresslia and LVX but not sure what would be best way to do it.

ROSEANNE'S, BEBE'S, AND LUXURY BALL: Everyone uses them no need to explain, a 3-3 seemed about right for this deck with the single Luxury Ball.

ROWANS AND CYNTHIAS: Also need a little extra card drawing in a deck other than relying on just Claydol. I like Rowans for the fact you get to keep a card in hand and only use the Cynthia's for after a knockout.

MARLEY'S REQUEST: Been trying Marley out as a 1 of in decks lately and it's been working. Its always good to get a card back from the discard especially when most trainers/supporters in your deck serve a big purpose. Just dont expect to get Luxury Ball back to often.

MOONLIGHT STADIUM: 2 Stadium Cards seem mandatory in today's metagame. I have alot of high retreat cost Psychic pokemon seemed like the best fit.

NIGHT MAINTENANCE: Yeah I bet you run them to :biggrin: 2 is always enough.

WARP POINT: With the high retreat cost of the pokemon in the deck you need these, plus the fact making your opponent wake up and think during your turn is always a added bonus. 3 maybe 1 to many though.

TS-2 DEVOLUTER: Not a huge fan of having to waste an attack with using an ability however again with the somewhat low damage output this deck can have, this is a perfect way to get a extra knockout or 2.

CALL ENERGY: Great for the setup :wink: with the :colorless:colorless attack of Abomasnow you can afford to run 4 without worrying about the colored energy.

WATER: Only Abomasnow uses Water in this deck and he only needs one, 4 seemed okay to use.

PSYCHIC: Alot of Psychic energy attacks in this deck so 7 should help do the trick.

As far as matchups go, I have been able to play the deck some but alot some would be theory, but will give it a go.

GIGAs: Get the Mewtwo X out and sail from there. Even without Mewtwo the spread in this deck and damage reduction from Abomasnow makes this a fairly even matchup, biggest problem is dealing with the Palkia X.

AMU: Again Mewtwo X can/will win you the game.

KINGDRA: This is a long drawn out game. You won't be able to hit their bench with Abomasnow other than Claydol (which killing Claydols can really cripple their damage ability) and the few extra support pokemon they may use (ie: Uxie/Azelf). The good news is they cant damage your bench with Abomasnow Active either and they have to 2-3 hit an Abomasnow to KO him. Best advice is to use the first Abomasnow to spread to the support pokemon while building up a 2nd one with 3 energy to hit Kingdra for 60. Hitting a time or 2 with Mewtwo X for 120 can help as well.

TYRANITAR: Well this really kind of depends on how they run the T-Tar deck as how the matchup goes. If they run the version to try and Spinning Tail your stuff away this matchup is alot easier because with an Active Abomasnow they are only hitting your bench for 10 a turn instead of 30. If they are running the version to Grind the active using Darkrai X then it is a harder matchup. The best bet in either matchup is to Spread early and often with Abomasnow and with the 2nd pokemon try to get some bigger hits in for 60+ then try to TS-2 your way to victory.

TORTERRA/SCEPTILE: Well I am sorry to say only a miracle lets you really win this matchup. Their High HP, Heavy Hits, Damage Removal, and Resistance are all against you (unless they just use the SF Torterra which is weak to water lol)

MACHAMP: Well another hard matchup. The bad news is Machamp X easily OHKOs everything you have pretty much. The good news a majority of your pokemon are psychic and hit him for weakness and can hit back hard (however they take 3 energy to do so). This is a less than desirable matchup but not impossible, luck on each players setup can easily determine the outcome. Spread Early with Abomasnow and then start building up your Psychic army GOOD LUCK!!!

GENGAR: Well in my experience this is a more than favorable matchup. With 3 Unown G to protect important pokemon and the several ways you have to place damage counters instead of damage really puts them on the ropes. So SPREAD EARLY SPREAD OFTEN and get your KOs with Damage Counters from Bronzong and Spiritomb and perhaps some TS-2 help AVOID letting them get to flip for Fainting Spell and really in this deck there is not much reason they should get to.

DUSKNOIR: As well Unown G is your best buddy in this matchup. Use the normal strategy as above Spread and use Damage Counters to knock out Dusknoir X. Hardest part of the Matchup is keeping your Bench Under 4 Pokemon. This is a more than winnable matchup given a proper setup.

I have no experience against either Raichu or Fire decks. Though they are not played in my area if you have any information to add or to help improve the deck then that would be great.

Last edited:
This looks really good, i love how abomasnow made an addition to spread decks, one of my friends on team spread just made an abomasnow froslass deck, but this one looks better.
-1 warp point
-1 NM
+2 SSU

had good results with the deck today, everything can still be improved anyone else care to make suggestions thanks.

I feel like you got the idea from somewhere else LOL but yeah, it was definitely a good list. I should have poke drawer + for Alakazam first instead of Dusknoir. Good game man.

-Keelan

had good results with the deck today, everything can still be improved anyone else care to make suggestions thanks.

Good Job sir, I am Nathan Woolery, the kid you played in the top 4 match. I counted 15 misplays I did against you that costed me game 1.:tongue:

Haha Keelen, well I did try abomasnow first remember :thumb: just did it a lil different its all good. All good decks come from the collective minds of great thinkers :lol: so to give props where they are due Keelen and Kason have also played a form of this deck to great success however we have our differences they play pixies and mine doesnt.

Nathan,
I am not sure I would count 15 misplays in the first game but it was a nerve racking game and I am sure we both had some misplays (and hey why cant we luxury ball for LVXs :lol:
No offense but I think what hurt the most was game 2 probably would of been yours to win if it would of gotten completed but maybe you started trying to overthink the game and it slowed the pace of the game down quite abit. GG man you crushed me in swiss and hope to get to play again sometime.

yeah dude, I tallied up all misplays, and LOL at luxury ball. Gooooood times!

Yeah, Game 2 I would have had, I had an amazing setup, and I was overthinking, I was setting up for 4 prizes in a matter of 2 turns, given time restraint, if I had 6 more minutes, I would have gotten 4, and you would have taken 3, givin me game 2. Then game 3, who knows!
LoL

Aboma is an amazing deck, and is indeed my toughest matchup...some would say Regi with Palkia x would be my toughest matchup, but it isn't at all, Aboma takes the cake. I might play my version of the deck at Rolla next weekend if I go, or might play GListening Shade again...aka, what I played yesterday:p

Great Job in Sedalia honey!! I can't believe our family took 3 places! You did amazing, as always...

And yeah, Abomasnow is that good. He showed me the way this past Saturday. I didn't have confidence in it, but with an amazing player playing the deck...yeah well...of course I am partial! HA HA...

But MAJOR props to Kason and Keelan for running Mountain Grove over with Abomasnow!

Last edited:
Well first off Tyranitar does NOT just smash this deck...I have not played against Tyranitar in a tournament but I have a Tyrantiar (which got me top cut in a cities of over 80 people total, so trust me its a good list). You can spread more than enough damage around before they can setup and while you are spreading with one abomasnow you can build up your bench...The version that tries to use Spinning Tail for the Victory has some real problems with Abomasnow cause they are only doing at most (with a Darkrai X) 60 to Abomasnow and 10 to all your bench without darkrai x alot less to abomasnow while he spreads tons of counters on your side of the board. Even the version that runs Darkrai X going for huge Grinds takes several turns to setup (normally 3-4 turns at best) allowing Abomasnow to spread alot of damage and taking out support pokemon and putting Tyranitar himself into Below Zero range (60d) or using TS-2 to take them out. It is not a Auto Win by any means they can be very tough matches but it is no where near a Auto Loss either.

About Regi I play the 2-2 Mewtwo X mainly cause of concerns that I have a losing record to Regi this cities season (not with this deck but in total). However the person that has caused that losing record against Regi is Jayson from Pokegym (article on front page) and I will say he is probably the best player with that deck there is BAR NONE!!! The match is rough without Mewtwo but not like you suggest where you just win...and trust me REGI has to play a bench or it wont setup...without Uxie, Azelf, Lunatone/Regice/Regirock, and its other support pokemon to draw search or discard energy to, so you have more than enough support pokemon I can spread to and knockout figure in the matchup only need to knockout 3-4 pokemon you will give me the other 2-3 prizes with Sacrifice. Rough matchup that can go either way but no auto wins or losses here sir.

For any wondering here is what i played at the cities:

Rd. 1-Won-Gengar
Rd. 2-Loss-Duskcor
Rd. 3-Won-Scizor/Cherrim
Rd. 4-Won-Magmortar/Heatran
Rd. 5-Won-Dusknoir
TOP CUT
Top 4-Won-Duskcor
Top 2-Won-Kingdra

I played Obama at 4 cities (T4, T8, 1st, 3-2(faced two grass decks)) and I can definitely tell you that your version would lose to T-Tar/Weavile.

They put on 6 energy or 5 with 2 special darks via Weavile and simply OHKO whatever you send up repeatedly. You almost always need to use at least 1-2 powers (an Uxie or something).

140hp is too much for Obama. Even with spreading, you need to 2-shot it with below zero, needing 3 energy. They simply GRIND OHKO you. They can easily set up 2 T-Tars to grind to victory.

I played a good 6-7 tyranitars at cities, so I definitely have a familiarity with the different variants and what ends up happening.

If they don't run weavile, you have a chance simply because they're slow and you rarely use powers. If they use weavile... you're in for a rough match without the right pokemon techs.

You should never be able to TS-2 a good player's T-Tar because they should have an Unown G on it.

Ryan,
You cannot "Definitly" tell him that his deck would loose to T-tar/Weavile. First off, Shawn has played T-Tar/Weavile and we have the deck sitting here at home. Second, it depends on the person playing the deck to even begin with. Some players aren't as great as they like to think they are! And third, lets not forget that luck does come into play with the Pokemon Trading Card Game. So, until you meet and play Shawn...I wouldn't tell him his deck would "definitly" loose to another.

Every deck has a bad matchup!

Shawn, don't listen to Ryan, it's his way or the highway...lol

Your deck did very well, and was very consistant.

I will say -2 Psychic energy for 2 Cyclone energy. That card is just Brutal. Also, look at energy switch;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back