Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

(ACTUAL) 1st place Blue Springs Senior Report

Walrein####1

*Before this thread was started a fake thread was made stating that NidoQueen won, trolling obv*

So, weeks before Cities even started I told my pokemon peers that I would be playing Gyarados knowing the consequence that they would try to metagame me hard as always :/. So since my parents are lazy and don't like driving I ask Chad if I can mooch off his dad's willingness to drive us, this was two days before the event before I actually didn't even know I was going or have a good gyarados list built. So I have a friend of mine help me with my list and I was ready to play! As always when my friend takes me I get carsick and we also get lost for a while so that didn't help. When we finally arrive im gasping for breath and thinking I'm going to throw up. Since I can't borrow a couple cards for my deck I have to tweak my list a bit and then I turn it in and wait for pairings.

5 rounds, no top cut, seniors mixed with masters???

1st Round: Jared L w/ Luxchomp
I start with Sableye and something else benched, I forget what he started with but I think it was a garchomp. I go first and impersonate for collector and do the usual stuff. I’m a bit quicker in this game so I take a prize lead until he kills a belted Dos. I get it back and return kill and basically we trade off KO’s. Finally it was 1-3 with me in the lead when he killed a Dos, I get it back, and I had the win if I just drew into an expert belt or a junk arm to get the expert belt and I draw into it with Uxie. 1-0

2nd Round: Sean E w/ Machamp/Donphan/Hippowdon
I start with crobat G and Magikarp, him with sableye. He goes first and impersonates for a looker’s investigation and shuffles in my crappy hand thank god. I draw a decent hand and get a sableye to setup my Gyarados next turn. He goes and just plays a machop, fighting on it, belts it and impersonates on something bad. My turn, I Get Gyarados up going for 90 and I regi move his active to Machap to kill it for a double knockout. Then after he brings up sableye and realizes he didn’t have any benched poke’s he scoops. 2-0

3rd Round: Vance K w/ VileGar
I forget what I start with but he starts with a tomb and gets a god start. I don’t remember this game much but we go back and forth with him poltergeisting and me tail revenging, he misses two Fainting spell flips so I only lose by 2 prizes. 2-1

4th Round: Niki N w/ Charizard
She starts with a jirachi + charmander and I with a sableye start. I do my thing with impersonate and she one desires. I impersonate again and she rare candy’s to charizard and belts but fire wing isn’t enough to OHKO sableye because she has only jirachi on bench. I then warp energy to Gyarados and Hit it for 120 damage. She hit’s back for 100 and I then kill her. She then never recovers from That and I sweep her field. 3-1

5th Round: Matt H w/ Magnezone
Before the match he tells me he’ll give me the game since he had no chance at top cut and he doesnt lose rating for losing to a senior so I am extremely happy, this makes sure that I win the tourney because Vance and Jared already lost twice. We play our fun game and he beats me by only 2 prizes even though he has a swarm of magnezone, It was an interesting deck.
My friend goes on to lose in the Top 4 in Masters but wins a playmat from the doorprizes.

Props:

My first ever tournament win
18 Packs
Shiny Medals
Chad doing well
Jared for skipping the S.A.T. (the tournaments are no fun without Jared)

Slops:

Jared for faking taking the S.A.T.
Jared and Vance trying to metagame me
Not a lot of people in seniors
Seniors being mixed with masters
Chad losing to Charlene in T4
Masters not getting a top 8 even with 32 people

Back