Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Adrian Saunders' Third/Fourth Place BR Report (Ada, OK 10-15)

AdrianSkyline

Hey everyone, I'm going to give you my 3rd Place Ada Battle Roads report, and then follow with a short recap of the season and what
I've learned. I hope everyone is excited for Regionals, and I'm going to enjoy the exciting road to the top at that tournament!
Anyway, my teammates Andrew, Tyler and I traveled early in the morning to Ada, Oklahoma to participate in their battle roads that day. Our
fourth teammate Kevin, went to a BR in Sherwood, AR, as it's closer to home.
There were about twenty-four masters, with five rounds and a top four cut.

Round One vs. Jon Brost with ZPST

Jon made it to top cut in OKC, ending up in second place. I knew he wasn't going to be a walk over but I still wasn't nervous. I knew
he played ZPS (he even called himself the 'ZPS' guy in OKC) and I had practiced the mirror a lot less than I should have, but I still
knew my fundamentals. I set up the energy combo really fast on my leading Zekrom. I was able to KO a Tornadus and start to run through
his attackers. He ended up taking a prize off of a really damaged Zekrom, but at the close of this game I had taken five prizes to his
one prize. I was starting to hit an energy drought so I threw a DCE onto one of my Tornadus because I really needed to get that last
prize. He realizes that he can't win so he drops a Juniper to deck himself out. He later said that "I didn't beat him, but rather that
he lost." The prizes and standings said otherwise, but I'll let it go.

1-0

Round Two vs. Deanna Something with Reshiphlosion

This is the woman from OKC that was my first round. I ended up donking her one Vulpix turn two with Tornadus then, and this game was
disturbingly similar. She starts with a lone Cyndaquil, and I start with Tornadus. My opening hand had Pachirisu, Shaymin, and two
lightning energy, which I promptly dropped to get two lightning onto my Tornadus. I then used Professor Juniper to try and hit any
energy for the Donk. I hit one lightning, attached it, and then used Hurricane for the game.

2-0

Round Three vs. Christopher Beaty with ZPST

Alright, another mirror match. I had a poor start this time, but I was going to try my hardest to not lose to Chris. I started one
Zekrom to his two Tornadus, and I had trouble getting a supporter for the first couple of turns. At one time he used Collector to
start his setup, and I couldn't accelerate energy in pace with him. He ended up a prize ahead, and then after some more attacks, he
was able to KO a loaded Zekrom and put me two prizes behind with no follow up attack. I tried to hit a Professor Oak or Juniper with
pokegear, and I got the Oak, but when I refreshed my hand, it was unhelpful garbage. I ended up scooping after that.

2-1

Round Four vs. (Don't remember his name) with Beartic/Vileplume

This was an older guy who seemed to be playing for fun because of his kids playing as well. He had actually been doing decently thus
far. He started with a Tornadus and a Cubchoo on the bench. I have no idea what the Tornadus was for, because fighting types aren't a
big threat to the deck, but I dismissed my speculation. I ended up with a Zekrom active with energy and seekered up his Cubchoo for
the kill on his Tornadus.

3-1

Round Five vs. Ty Smith with Yanmega/Magnezone

I was down paired to my teammate Ty who was at 2-2. When we saw the pairings he conceded to me before the round even began, because I
obviously had a better chance at making cut. I appreciated the gesture, and would like to point out that Ty is a gentleman and a
scholar.

4-1

After all of the swiss rounds were done, I waited eagerly to see if I had made top cut or not, as there were four people with 4-1
records, and one with a 5-0 record (teammate Andrew). I made it into the top cut as fourth seed, and end up playing Andrew in the
first set. The other top cut participants were Chris Beaty, and man whose name I don't know. I do know that he was playing Mew Box
though.

Game One:

I set up against Andrew, and it was an unusually slow game. We hadn't taken a prize in the time that Chris had already won his first
game. We eventually start to trade prizes, but in the end, Andrew slips ahead. I distinctly remember being screwed by my not including
switch in the deck. Andrew obviously knew every facet of my deck and kept stalling out by catchering Shaymins whenever he was behind
or couldn't take a prize. I end up whiffing on an energy from a Juniper and get owned. Sad day.

Game Two:

This game was insane. We are both taking prizes almost every turn, trying to avoid putting a Tornadus up to a Zekrom. I know that if I
run out of Zekroms I was boned, because Zekrom is clearly better than Tornadus in the mirror. We end up with one prize each, and he
ends with a Tornadus to my Zekrom, which has 90 hp, and he needed a plus power to KO it for the game, so he scooped, thinking it was
over. In reality he had a Junk Arm in his one to two card deck and he didn't think he could use Professor Oak's New Theory unless he
could draw all six cards. A misplay, but it came from a bad ruling from earlier.

Game Three:

This game was just starting when time was called. Andrew KO'd a shaymin I think and we each had a prize. I was looking through my
discard before promoting/drawing so Andrew gets to be turn zero. I think that it could have been different had I drawn a second
earlier to get another turn. Anyway, I can't KO this turn, but he does on the next turn. My turn is the last of plus three rules, and
I NEED to take a prize to tie it up. I end up with an energy on my benched Pachirisu and I need only a Shaymin to move the lightning
energy to take the tie prize. I PONT my hand away, looking for a miracle, and get a dual ball. I hit two heads, and I get excited, but
realize my second Shaymin is prized. I sit dumbfounded for a minute realizing I can't win. I scoop to Andrew and once again get hit
with that fourth seed curse.

I find out that I get the third place Victory Cup because Mew Box guy ended up leaving early. I feel good, but I still feel like
fourth place. I don't know what it is with me and choking in Top Cut but I'm definately going to practice twice as hard for regionals
so I can go deeper than before.

Props:
Legacy's Andrew taking first place
Legacy's Kevin taking first in Sherwood, AR
Selling some cards for lunch money
Intimidating good players
First Victory Cup
Total of 8 Victory Cups and 10 top cuts for the team for Fall BRs
Donking the same girl I T2'd in OKC.

Slops:
Dat fourth place
Losing only to the mirror match all day
Screwing myself by dropping switch (seriously noob move)
The long drive
Losing to Andrew.... in foosball

Bonus: Link to Andrew's report on the Gym :thumb:

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2124764

Back