Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Advice and Opinions for my Moxies deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

[R]Visitor

Yes, Moxies (or Moxys). Never heard of it? Thought so.

mox·ie /ˈmɒksi/
–noun Slang.
1. vigor; verve; pep.
2. courage and aggressiveness; nerve.
3. skill; know-how.

It also stands for Mew/Mewtwo & Deoxys, as they are the big players in this deck.

"Vigor?" Yes. This deck is intense and energetic, it can also come out of nowhere and hit you very hard.
"Aggressiveness?" Yup. This deck, as I said, can hit hard, and generally keep hitting.
"Nerve?" Considering my famous contempt for net-decking, copying, and conforming to all the other boring decks out there that everyone's playing, yes, i'm convinced there's plenty of nerve.
"Skill; Known-how?" Yes, this deck requires a ton of it. Memorizing all of your cards on the fly and coming up with the correct combo to utterly destroy your opponent in ways he never saw coming.

I've kept this deck mostly secret, never really revealing what's in it because I hate to be copied or emulated. But, as you'll be able to see after you read the deck list, this deck is doomed to rotation in a few months, and, because of that, i've changed my mind. For two reasons:

1) If people copy this deck, i'll be proud and happy because the deck deserves some respect. It deserves to go out in a blaze of glory.
2) I want YOUR help to make this deck the best it can be, so, again, it can go out in a blaze of glory. It may not be the greatest deck ever, but, I want it to be the greatest it can be. One last round, one last go, i've been playing variations of this deck since the deoxys set came out, and i'll play it till it's illegal and even then after i'll play it for fun at leagues.

Anyway...

First, the deck list:

Pokemon
4 (Total) Deoxys EX (Normal, Defense, Attack, Speed)
1 Deoxys (Normal, Holon Phantoms/Pop 4)
1 Deoxys (Defense, Holon Phantoms)
1 Deoxys (Normal, Deoxys)
1 Deoxys (Attack, Deoxys)
2 Mew EX (Legend maker)
1 Mew EX (Holon Phantoms)
4 (Total) Unown (O, Y, I, N)
2 Ralts (Emerald)
2 Kirlia (Power Keepers)
1 Gardevoir (Emerald)
1 Gardevoir (Delta Species)
1 Misdreavus (Legend Maker)
2 Mewtwo (Delta Species)
4 Holon's Electrode (Delta Species)

Trainers:
1 Windstorm
2 Phoebe's Stadium
1 Power Tree
3 Scott
2 Bill's Maintinence
2 Mr Briney's Compassion
2 Holon Mentor
2 Celio's Network
2 Copycat
1 Holon Lass
1 Holon Farmer

Energy:
13 Basic Psychic Energy

Basic goal and premise of the deck:

The main idea of this deck is to use the Mew EX (With versitile). While he's your active, your Deoxys, Deoxys EX, and Unown on the bench can all use their various form changing powers, giving mew access to many great and useful attacks. To me, this is a great way to use mew's versitility. The holon's electrodes are in the deck almost exclusively for mew, so that he can use some of the non-psychic attacks in the deck (Steel Deoxys, for example), as well as use your opponent's attacks.

The deck is very difficult to run if you don't understand how all of your dexoys' and unown's work. Once you've memorized their attacks, and understand how combos work with them, you can be very deadly with this deck. I'll give a quick rundown of each card and it's purpose.

Pokemon
(Total) Deoxys EX (Normal, Defense, Attack, Speed): Main attacks, also used for mew ex's versitile.
1 Deoxys (Normal, Holon Phantoms/Pop 4) Benched for mew's versitile
1 Deoxys (Defense, Holon Phantoms)Benched for mew's versitile
1 Deoxys (Normal, Deoxys)Benched for mew's versitile
1 Deoxys (Attack, Deoxys)Benched for mew's versitile
2 Mew EX (Legend maker) Main attacker in the deck.
1 Mew EX (Holon Phantoms) Benched for mew's versitile and his useful poke-power.
4 (Total) Unown (O, Y, I, N) Benched for mew's versitile: O is for a dying mew, return him to your deck to save a prize card, Y is for if you get stuck with Unown as your starter, or have him on the bench with Mew EX as your starter, I is for high retreat cost pokemon/shutting down powers and bodies/good stalling [Great to use against Nidoqueen d], and finally N is for healing your mew if you have an open oppertunity
2 Ralts (Emerald) Evolution, good basic starter or early 1-energy mew ex versitile
2 Kirlia (Power Keepers) Evolution
1 Gardevoir (Emerald) Healing various members of your party, so you don't lose valuable EX's.
1 Gardevoir (Delta Species) For moving the Holon's Electrodes from one Mew EX to the other if you're in a pinch, as well as all around energy moving.
1 Misdreavus (Legend Maker) Wonderful starter basic, or desperate mid-game staller.
2 Mewtwo (Delta Species) For moving all the basic energy around. Bench a mewtwo, move basic energy from your dying active pokemon to your next guy, then use your Phoebe's Stadium for free retreat cost. Briney's them afterwards, generally.
4 Holon's Electrode (Delta Species) Energy for Mew EX, Mewtwo, and Steel form Deoxys.

Next is the specific uses (if applicable) for trainers:

Trainers:
1 Windstorm Mostly to kill cessation crystals because they ruin this deck!
2 Phoebe's Stadium Free retrea cost for all your psychics, a godsend.
1 Power Tree Energy saver for those big discarding attacks [Deoxys EX Attack form, Mew EX Holon Phantoms]
3 Scott Duh
2 Bill's Maintinence To shuffle in a Deoxys or Unown form into your deck so you can form change to it, extremely usefull.
2 Mr Briney's Compassion Mostly for getting Mewtwo off of your bench so you can use him again
2 Holon Mentor Duh
2 Celio's Network Kirlia, Gardevoir, Electrode
2 Copycat To shuffle in a Deoxys or Unown form into your deck so you can form change to it, extremely usefull or fix a terrible hand, or if you're decking yourself, trust me, it happens.
1 Holon Lass Energy of course
1 Holon Farmer If the deoxys or unown form you need is in the discard pile ,you can farmer it, and instantly form change to it so you can use it. Awesome card.

I can't really go into combos or intricate strategies, they're kind of hard to describe. Some of the basics are covered in these above descriptions.

My thoughts on the deck.
I'd like advice on the deck. It's already a good deck but it does lose matches every so often. I feel it needs a really high power attack to kill off all these new broken EX's. I personally feel I need to add some Super Scoop Up's to save my EX's. I'm still shuffling around between different Kirlia's, but, for the most part they never enter battle. I'm also considering getting rid of the non-EX deoxys because I don't often use them. A lot of new stuff, like the Dragon Frontiers Flygon EX, totally ruin this deck if i'm caught off-guard. Flariados and the new Dragonite EX from Dragon Frontiers barely touch the deck, though, as well as a bunch of others.

Anyway, that's the deck, advice and opinions, praise, etc, are all accepted. This has been called the ultimate red face paint deck by lots of people, and it's earned the title by stamping lots of players. It's also impressive in the way that it uses virtually none of the big delta species cards and is made up mostly of older stuff.

This is the first one of these i've written up, hope i'm doing it right.

I would take out:

2 Ralts (Emerald)
2 Kirlia (Power Keepers)
1 Gardevoir (Emerald)
1 Gardevoir (Delta Species)
1 Misdreavus (Legend Maker)
1 Deoxys (Normal, Holon Phantoms/Pop 4)
1 Deoxys (Defense, Holon Phantoms)
1 Deoxys (Normal, Deoxys)
1 Deoxys (Attack, Deoxys)
1 Psychic Energy
2 Celio's Network
1 Power Tree
2 Mr. Briney's Compassion
2 Bill's Maintenance
1 Holon Lass
1 Holon Farmer
1 Scott

(=22)

And add:
+2 Windstorm
+4 Mary's Request
+2 Holon Mentor
+1 Latios EX d
+1 Latias d
+1 Roselia (LM)
+1 Mew EX (LM)
+4 Castaway
+2 Strength Charm
+2 Buffer Piece
+2 Crystal Shard

Windstorm isn't searchable, so you need to run it in multiples of 3-4 to have good chances of drawing it when you need it. I opted to remove the Gardevoir line because I didn't see how it fit into the strategy. So without any stage twos in your deck, mary's request becomes the natural choice for straight draw power. Since all of your pokemon are basic now, Holon Mentor is all the search power you need to get them out. And if you want that one Deoxys with 110 hp, you can always search for one of the 100 hp Deoxys and then just form change to the 110 hp form. To get the most out of Mew's versatility, I added Latios EX d for its ice barrier attack, and Roselia for its flick poison attack. Latios EX d and Latias d will also help you in your BanDoom and GatrQueen matchups, and against Slaking PK if he gets popular, by turning off evolved pokemon's pokebodies. Umm.. what else.. oh, I thought your trainer engine needed a little work, though I'm not 100 percent sure if a castaway engine would be the best fit in this deck. I would reccomend giving it a try though, and seeing if it works. If you play on apprentice and you ever want to practice with your deck or try my fixes out, feel free to message me.

wow that's a lot of changes.

I don't see how i'd heal my guys without my emerald gardevoir, and i don't see how i'd cleverly hold onto my electrode without the delta species one. I also see no reason for Roselia when I have unown I, who brings up a benched guy and burns and confsues him, instead of just poisen. The lack of Briney's is gonna kill my bench and only allow me two uses with my mewtwo, and especially since you're asking me to add another mew, that's gonna really screw up my energy situation, especially without gardevoir around.

Other than that, some interesting choices I might look into, i've never used this apprentice thingy, so, I might have to try that out, as wel, thanks for your opinions..

Well, in this format, the emphasis of most popular decks is the "one hit k.o." Strategies revolve around reaching certain damage "peaks" like 100 or 120. A few examples: Raieggs spreads damage with cursed stone, zzzap and split bomb early in the game, to set up for one hit k.o.s with Raichu's metallic thunder later in the game. This year's Mewtrick uses strength charms to get ohkos on holon's castform using disconnect. etc. etc.

Because of this, healing trainers and pokemon are not worth much unless they are in a deck with pokemon that either a. have very high HP, b. have some means of damage reduction (poke-bodies, metal energy, attacks, etc), or c. can be swarmed, retreat for free, and can be healed up on the bench before being sent out again.

A quick example: Your 90 HP mew gets hit for 60. You heal 20. It gets hit for 60 again next turn. k.o. So don't worry about healing, it's not going to help much unless your opponent is doing a mediocre amount of damage in the first place, in which case you should be owning them anyways.

Sorry, I didn't look up the unowns you picked, now that I know what unown I does, I would say instead of roselia, maybe try a Latias ex d for some minor energy acceleration, since you can move the extra energy attachments off onto your other pokemon with mewtwo d's power.

You also might want to keep in mind that many standard decks can OHKO Mew and Deoxys both. Healing them isn't very useful in a format loaded with Metagross DX, Flygon EX d, Banette EX, Sceptile EX d, etc.

Lati@s *? I also don't understand a small Gardy line with 2 Celio, no candy and almost no effective purpose to serve. BBP! Haymaker! Disruption! Those, I think, should be your focus. 1 Power tree? Eh... You have 4 counters while decks like Rai-Eggs have 4 Cursed Stone, 4 Cessation crystal and Crystal Beach. GL, hope I was helpful =/

the mew's are pretty expensive, hard to get more of, so, that's mostly why i'm running two, and by the time two of those are dead, it's mostly game over anyway. Some of you have some good suggestions, although, you may want to take it easy on the slang, as I dont understand a word of it.

I do, however, have lots of trouble with the one hit ko's, and cards from the newer set are getting more and more HP, and less and less weaknesses, so it's pretty hard to keep up. I really do hate the newer broken cards with a dire passion, it's pop's way of making you abandon older sets and buy up the new stuff. It's awful.

Was I slanging too much? I should like to consider it jargon, lol. If anything I said, or anyone else did is something you would like cleared up, I'd be happy to help =/.

I loved seeing this deck at work. Its far too inconsistant for high level play. But it does spectacularly when it is being used correctly. Crystal laser followed by def deoxys attack for lots of damage and protection with it.

Overall its just plain different. Thank god its not another archtype.

I personally wouldn't say it's very inconsistant, I can almost always get the same desired setup going pretty quickly. the problem is compatability with other decks. raieggs ruins it, the psychic flygon ex ruins it, anything involving banette ex tends to ruin it, mostly issues relating to psychic weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back