Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Aggron ex/Xatu/Furret deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Blastoise

I was thinking of trying a deck like this next month for states. See what you think of it.

Pokemon: (24)

4 Aron (any)
2 Lairon (any)
3 Aggron ex
4 Natu
4 Xatu (SS)
2 Sentret
2 Furret (Aquapolis)
3 Dunsparce (SS)

Trainers: (20)

2 Ancient Ruins
3 Prof. Oak Research
3 TV Reporter
3 Wally's Training
3 Oracle
2 Crystal Shard
2 Weakness Guard
2 Rare Candy

Energy: (16)

8 Basic Energy
4 Metal Energy
4 Rainbow Energy

Strategy: Pretty simple but DEADLY!!! Set up an Aggron ex as quickly as possible with 4 Metals using draw and Furret. After that, get my Xatus set up which remove damage. Once I get all this set up my opponent will have a hard time beating my deck since it'll take 80 damage no sweat. I have dunsparce to stall with if necessary. Questions? Comments? I encourage lots of feedback.

If i remeber correctly Aggron-ex is weak to fire so my main concern is that you will get pummeled by most BAR decks and its variants.....

you only get pummeled by Bar because of Rayquazza, not because of blaziken. Here's my advice, run Wailord in this too. That's what my version is, Xatu/Wailord/Furret/Aggron. It works pretty well. Also, u don't need 3 Aggron ex, drop the # to 2, as you'll only get 2 at most going a game, most likely only 1. Replace Wally's Training with Professor Elm's Training Method.

Just a quick fix, i'll let u decide what you can do w/ the rest of it. Good luck at State!

My opinion

The problem with Aggron EX (in genereal, not just this deck) is that it is very slow. And doesn't really do much damage until quite far into the game. I played Aggron EX last sunday at the weekly tournament, but found out that Aggron EX is no friend of the 30 minute Swiss rounds. I would have beaten more decks if I had had more time. And I also found out Blaziken eats it alive... And I used Aggron EX' usual partner in crime, Wailord to counter fire pokemons...

Some decks get extremely strong if the player isn't interrupted and can build up his army at a steady pace. I'm thinking Blaziken-type decks and Gardevoir decks. Against these decks you must rely on something else than Aggron, and I don't think Xatu will do that job for you. His purpose is sitting on the bench removing damage from your active and perhaps deal those last damagecounters to your opponent's pokemons if Aggron EX died trying. But even removing 40HP isn't enough when your opponent is able to deal 100+ damage...

This is one of the Gojira variants I have mentioned, though I ahve never tested this version, it's been something I had meant to. At lot of people like to clutter this deck with uneeded Pokemon, then ignore what is needed. A good question is why do I use a Pokemon. If its for the main attacker, its fine to run several. However, many go over board on the wrong supporting Pokemon. What do I mean? Well, the original version of this deck looks most playable-adding another evolution chain should be suicide against competant players. Wanna douse Blaziken's flames? Try Aquapolis Suicune (WCC does either 30 with Sleep or 50), or Sandstorm Wailmer. If the deck is worth running, one or two should be enough to offset your weakness. The Xatu line is and should be 4/4-it is the key to all Gojira decks (Gojira-Godzilla to us gaijin-decks focus ons oething ig up front that wreaks widespride havoc) are the Xatu, as they keep you big hitter alive long enough for it to do some real good. Dunsparce is useful for setting up... though it might be better to use Pokemon march or just general draw power to lower you Pokemon count. that mainly depends upon style. SS WObbuffet is missing, and this will prove very hard on the deck imo. Furret I never realy cared for-Oracle works well to get Energy and Evos, so might as well max out on it. It's not like you can play more than one energy per turn anyway for this deck (and most others). BAR and Muk ex are going to be hardest on this deck. Crystal Shard/FFet (either together or separate) should be used to handle Rayquaza ex. Suicune handles Blaziken (50% chance of a OHKO).

So, I admitted to not being experience with this deck, so why listen? Well, I am very expereinced with Gojira decks in general. If you pick up the April Issue of InQuest, you'll find my SS Steelix/Xatu deck as one of the Kiler decks in it. IS the deck perfect? No. But the only things that really hurt it are Muk ex and the big archetypes.

You really need Prof Birch in there. It's quite broken when ran with Furret.

I would take the Lairon that has the attack that damages the bench, and run a 3/3/2 line of aggron. I don't see the real need for rare candy here. Weakness Guard is a good idea, but it only last for one turn, so you got to have it when you need it. I would rather have more healing in it's place (bugger guard or berries).

Good luck

Tempo Stratoblaster said:
You really need Prof Birch in there. It's quite broken when ran with Furret.

I would take the Lairon that has the attack that damages the bench, and run a 3/3/2 line of aggron. I don't see the real need for rare candy here. Weakness Guard is a good idea, but it only last for one turn, so you got to have it when you need it. I would rather have more healing in it's place (bugger guard or berries).

Good luck

Yeah, I've thought about some of the suggestions you guys have made and I've made a few changes:

Pokemon: (25)

4 Aron (any)
3 Lairon (any)
3 Aggron ex
4 Natu
4 Xatu (SS)
2 Sentret
2 Furret (Aquapolis)
3 Dunsparce (SS)

Trainers: (21)

1 Ancient Ruins
3 Prof. Oak Research
3 Prof. Birch
3 TV Reporter
3 Wally's Training
3 Oracle
2 Crystal Shard
1 Weakness Guard
2 Warp Point

Energy: (14)

6 Basic Energy
4 Metal Energy
4 Rainbow Energy

Okay, I cut two energy and I decided to focus more on card drawing power than anything else. I'm still debating Wally's training vs. Prof. Elm Method, though. I also decided against Suicune since I reason that my opponent won't be stupid enough to send a precious Blaziken to its slaughter. Plus, it takes three turns to power up thus resulting in slowing down this deck more. This deck is already slow enough (admittedly) so I might be needing more stall stuff than anything else. I know nobody suggested it but I added 2 warp point since this deck can abuse it (because of Xatu) I'm not 100% sure if I got what I need. It looks good to me what do you guys think?

Also, guys I'm not really worried about Blaziken since when I get my deck set up, my opponent is going to have a hard time hurting my Aggron (what 20 damage a turn hah! with 4 Metals and 4 Xatus). I'm more concerned about speed decks and Rayquaza ex, of course. Since though, that's going to take some time and this deck isn't as fast as maybe some other decks, what would you recommend to solve this problem?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back