Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ampharos: The Best Way to Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinsir52

Arguably the best card in Platinum is Ampharos. With a bit of spread to accompany it, he can be a powerful contender in this format. Well, here goes:

THE LIST:

3 Manectric PT
3 Electrike PT

1 Ampharos SW
2 Amhparos PT
1 Flaffy PT
2 Mareep PT

2 Claydol
2 Baltoy

2 Crobat G PT

2 Farfetch'd

1 Chatot
1 Unown G

Total: 17
------------

4 Bebe’s Search
4 Roseanne’s Research
2 Professor Oak’s Visit
2 Cyrus’s Conspiracy
1 Cynthia’s Feelings

3 Rare Candy
2 Poke Turn
2 Warp Point
1 Night Maintenance
1 Luxury

2 Lake Boundary

Total: 29s
------------

9 Lightning Energy
4 Call Energy
1 Cyclone Energy

Total: 14
------------

THE STRATEGY:

The central strategy of the deck is quite simple: spread like a mad man with Manectric while locking your opponent down with Ampharos. However, with a closer look, there is a bit of utter awesomeness to be seen. Let’s take a look...

THE CARDS:

Manectric PT http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/sithapprenticenaved/manecticpt.jpg - This is one mean dog…or, at least I think it’s a dog. Whatever. This is our “main attacker.” He spreads like crazy, EASILY taking out Claydol, Uxie, and other benched support lines, while hopefully softening up your opponent’s big guys. When your opponent dreads having a Claydol or Uxie LV. X in play, you know you’ve done your job effectively. As if that wasn’t enough, he has a very nice body. Electric Barrier prevents damage done by attacks from being dealt to your benched non-Manectrics. Won’t help against Dusknoir, but it is still useful against Kingdra and a few others. Oh, and he has a free retreat!

Electrike PT http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/sithapprenticenaved/electrikept.jpg - Free retreat. Roar isn't bad. He's okay.

Ampharos PT http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/sithapprenticenaved/displayimagephp.jpg - He’s not the main attacker, so we don’t need 3-4. It is the backbone of the deck. Its body, Damage Bind, prevents all Pokemon with any damage counters on them from using any Poke-Powers, hence the clear synergy with Manectric. It is also for this reason that the deck can’t really run Claydol or Uxie. If you have to, Gigavolt is a very nice attack for 2 energy. With a timely Crobat G drop and a LB in play, it’ll OHKO a Kingdra or Empoleon, provided you flip heads; otherwise, you paralyze it, and you’ll very likely get the KO next turn.

Ampharos SW http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/sithapprenticenaved/ampharossw.jpg - A very nice tech for this deck. Jamming will ping every one of their Pokes, setting up Damage Bind for the rest of the game. His synergy with Ampharos PT is amazing!

Flaaffy PT http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/sithapprenticenaved/flaaffy.jpg - He spreads a bit, which will help when you evolve him next turn!

Mareep PT http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/sithapprenticenaved/mareeppt.jpg - More HP than the other one, as well as a free attack. Not bad if you must start with it.

Crobat G PT http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/sithapprenticenaved/crobatpt.jpg - Gwahhh!! BROKEN!! Again, perfect synergy with Ampharos. This deck has an entire engine set up to find and recycle these bats. Cyrus + Poke Turn= double or triple PP…TO ANYBODY! I love this card. Sets up Damage Bind and key KO’s AT THE SAME TIME. It’s not a tech, but a key part of the deck.

Claydol http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/sithapprenticenaved/Claydol.jpg - Gives the deck the extra draw power you need. It boosts the deck's consistency tremendously, making sure you have what you need when you need it. Only problem here is opposing Crobats. Perhaps 1 potion for the mirror?

Baltoy http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/sithapprenticenaved/Baltoy.jpg - Just hope that if you start with him you've already mulliganed a few times.

Farfetch'd http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/sithapprenticenaved/farfetchd.jpg - IMO, he's a bit better than Sableye because you can get a rare candy or a lake boundary. He's very nice to start with, he can stall for a turn or so, and can come to the rescue if you need him late game. He's good and all, but Farfetch'd in this list isn't a must; he can easily be taken out for more trainers or other techs.

Chatot and Unown G- Do I have to?

------------

THE SUPPORTERS/TRAINERS/STADIUMS:

Bebe’s Search- I don’t believe there is a deck out there that runs less than four. Playing four ensures maximum consistancy.

Roseanne’s Research- Roseanne is great early game to set up electrike and ampharos, and it's great mid to late game to get crobat when you need it. I wouldn't run less than 4.

Professor Oak’s Visit- Most decks I play (with Claydol) don't need too many draw supporters, so two usually works just fine.

Cyrus’s Conspiracy- As already stated, Cyrus’s Conspiracy is part of the Crobat engine of the deck. Played correctly, you can quite easily create a constant wheel of Crobat awesomeness, and shower your opponents side of the field with damage counters. Poke Turn is a broken card. Let’s abuse it!

Cynthia’s Feelings- I'm not too sure how I feel about this card. It's ok, I guess, but there may very well be other, better options.
----

Rare Candy- Gets out Ampharos quickly. He’s not the ‘main attacker,’ so 4 is a bit overkill. Three works just fine, IMO.

Poke Turn- I’ve already explained how the engine works. The only thing you could use it on is Crobat, but that’s all you’d need it for. I can foresee the whole Crobat engine working its way into more than just one deck this season…

Warp Point- Pretty simple one here. It’s especially nice with all of the free retreating going around. I play 2 in most decks, but that’s just me.

Night Maintenance- It’ll be played different every time. Only one here, so play it wisely.

Luxury Ball- Pretty much a standard in every deck, and for a good reason. It’s nice when you can draw into it.
----
Lake Boundary- Makes Kingdra a more favorable matchup. That’s about it.
------------

THE ENERGY:

With CASTAWAY back, we can run a few less energy without suffering droughts. My list has 14:

9 Lightning
4 Call- IMO, any deck with colorless in the ‘main attacker’s’ attack cost should run four. Also helps should you ever use Cluster Bolt, because you don’t have to discard as much energy.
1 Cyclone- Fun tech, and can utterly mess up your opponent’s plans. It’s a great card that finds its way into almost all of my decks.
------------
------------

Variants:

The number one variant I had in mind was to use a different spreader to compliment Damage Bind. I’d like to keep it a stage one that attacks fairly cheaply. The number one card that comes to mind is Froslass. While he doesn’t do 30 to everyone with powers, he places a damage counter on EVERYBODY. Sleep is also nice!
------------

Techs:

Spiritomb LA- More help with the mega uber super spread.

Electrode SW- More help with Kingdra and Empoleon and other water Pokes.

Electrode SF (36)- Radiance pings all of your opponents for 1, setting up Damage Bind, and helping with key knock-outs.

Cresselia LV. X- Again, easily activates Damage bind on a Claydol (or Baltoy) or something, making it a wasted bench spot for your opponent, and making it easier for Manectric to eat its face.

------------
------------

Matchups:

DUSKNOIR- The only deck I’ve had a chance to test against thus far is Dusknoir, and I’m dead even with it. Unown G messes my opponent up big time, while I eat his ENTIRE bench for breakfast. He’ll take a prize here and there, then I’ll take 3 in one turn. IMO, its all about who can outplay the other.
50/50

MORE COMING SOON!!

Last edited:
First of all, how are you going to play with 3 Amphy and only 2 Mareep. Second I don't see the reason for Crobat G, I mean to have it in there just to do damage to one poke is pointless. I would rather use spiritomb with scoop up's and take the risk. Other than that, Froslass is ok, and Lake boundry adds a nice touch to weakness. Oh, and the other good spreader should be Aboma of course.

First of all, how are you going to play with 3 Amphy and only 2 Mareep. Second I don't see the reason for Crobat G, I mean to have it in there just to do damage to one poke is pointless. I would rather use spiritomb with scoop up's and take the risk. Other than that, Froslass is ok, and Lake boundry adds a nice touch to weakness. Oh, and the other good spreader should be Aboma of course.
Get an Ampharos PT set up then drop the Crobat G. Now you can use that single Crobat G to lock any Power you want because of Ampharos PT.

First of all, i can play 3 amphy with 2 mareep in the same way world championship decks can play 5 flygon with only 4 trapinch, or 3 Gardy and 2 Gallade with only 4 ralts. The SW Amphy is a teck.

Second, Crobat is an all powerful demi-god of a pokemon card. all you need is ONE damage counter on a claydol, and it's utterly useless. Spiritomb can't do that. Also, poketurn on an SP > SSU. No Flip > Flip.

If you damage a Baltoy with Crobat, then they have no chance. Yes Manetric can damage pokemon with powers, that is after they have been on the field for a turn so they at least get one chance to use their powers. They also have Rare Candy and Broken Time Space.

Oh, and the other good spreader should be Aboma of course.

I think that you think Amphy/Abomasnow is the PERFECT Amphy deck. There are plenty of other spread cards out there that actually hit Torterra.

Examples
Glaceon Lv. X
Yanmega LA
Froslass LA
Giratina PT
Empoleon MD
Dusknoir Lv. X
Tyranitar SF
Bronzong MD
Dragonite LA
Electrode SF
Magmortar Lv. X

I'm not trying to insult you Amphy#1, but there are plenty of other spread cards that work well with Amphy.

I think that Froslass and Manetric are the 2 best cards to use with Pt Ampharos. and of course SW Ampharos.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

It should be 2 SW amphy 1 Pt Not the other way around.

Last edited:
Except Froslass can't damage Pokemon that are GUARDed.

Personally, I like using Glaceon, but that is just my personally preference,

Bippa, Pinsir52 did say he wanted to keep the spreaders to stage 1 pokemon, so that eliminates about half of your list. I do agree with you that there are some other choices out there, it jsut a coincidence that I'm playing a deck with Ampy/Aboma and it works great!

Yeah, that is about half my list. Although, I think that Manetric PT is the perfect match.

Blastkatty=Amphytric

Its like they were made for each other.

Gwaaah! Forgot to put that up top...

Anyway, it's inconsistent. Really inconsistent. I've been testing it for a while now, and it seems every single game (unless I have a god opening hand) i can't get what I need when I need it. I am outsped nearly every game. I can usually make a comeback, but the problem remains...

I think that a Furret, combined with a Broken Time-Space Stadium can get you what you need to get rolling T1 (if you go 2nd)

I know that Furret is at the bottom of all 3 main drawers (Claydol, Uxie, Furret), but I think that it might work in this deck.

What do you think?

I see no reason for you to not run Claydol - Manectric shields your 'Dols against spread, right, and then all it takes is an Unown G and only the Crobat G in mirror can really hurt them. Much easier, faster, and more consistent to run, no?

I know Claydol is perfect for the deck. He said he had a hard time getting the cards he needed, so I offered a T1 Furret strategy for him to try.

I see no reason for you to not run Claydol - Manectric shields your 'Dols against spread, right, and then all it takes is an Unown G and only the Crobat G in mirror can really hurt them. Much easier, faster, and more consistent to run, no?

OMG! I LOVE YOU! I never thought of that. I officially accept all ridicule you guys can dish...man, I feel like a fool...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back