Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

An Article on How to Write an Article

Garch

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
An Article on How to Write an Article

Hello everyone. With the recent influx of what most members are terming “bad” articles, I thought I would try to write an article, not on a deck, but on how to write about a deck. I’m probably not the most qualified person to do this, but I’m certainly not the worst. If even one person writes a good article based off this, it will all have been worth it.

Article by: Kenton A.
Title: An Article on How to Write an Article
Date: January 20th, 2011

Heading​
The heading is what grabs people’s attention on the front page. Have the name of your article in a nice, big font. Maybe add colors, underling, bolding, or italicizing. You could also have pictures of your decks main attacker(s). However, try not to use the same picture twice in an article. If you post a picture up here, don’t post it again down when you’re discussing it.

“Copyright”​
This is the start of the article. It lets us, in very few words, know what we’re about to read. It should contain your name (or names if it’s a joint project), the name of the deck or article, the date the article was written, and the current format. It should look like this:

Article by: Name (Last initial/ last name)
Title: Title goes here
Date: Date written goes here
Latest set released: Latest set here
Current Format: Format here (DP-on, MD-on, etc.)

Opening Comments​
At the start of all articles there is a section of introductory comments. In here should go a description of the deck (not its strategy), what the decks purpose in life is, and how the deck came about, such as if you invented it, or if it’s already been sweeping tournaments. Mention why you personally use the deck (if you don’t use it, why are you making an article about it?) A good example of this comes from Phazon Elite’s recent article, Blissey/Drapion:

I hate coins. I also hate dice. In fact, I hate any form of randomization, because I suck at believing in the heart of the coin. At one point in my life, my affinity for making poor rolls was so bad, rolling low numbers became known as "pulling a Marvin." So naturally, my new awesome deck idea (which I am going to ram down your throats like granny's disgusting fruitcake), involves flipping multiple coins a turn, often praying to the Pokegod of Pokeland in the process.

Many of you probably remember my old FGD article from over a year ago. I stumbled upon the synergy of Flygon/Gardevoir by smashing two overcosted Stage Twos into the same deck, making local kids frustrated in the process ("THIS DECK SHOULDNT BE GOOD!!!! HOW IS THIS DECK SO GOOD????"). This time, I stumbled upon this deck's synergy in my endless quest to make something of Drapion, it still accomplishes the end result of making local kids mad ("OH MY GOD IM TRIPLE POISONED AND HAVE A SMALL HAND AND CANT USE POWERS AND I HAVE TO READ EVERY SINGLE CARD HE PLAYS BECAUSE IVE NEVER SEEN THEM USED BEFORE!!!").

I'm not going to pretend the deck is something it isn't. If you try this deck in the way I designed it, you will flip many coins. In fact, you might want to invest in a few extra coins and/or dice in case your wild flipping goes out of control and randomizers start flying around like gnats on drugs. The core principal of the deck (Blissey + Judge) is extremely sound and vicious and not extremely reliant on luck, but the supporting cast certainly is.

In his opening comments we’re told why he made the deck and what its purpose is, without mentioning the main strategy. Compared to most, his opening is long, but informative.

The List​
One of the most important sections of an article is the list. This is the section I think is due for an over-haul. Recently, most of the negative comments about an article have been about its “terrible” list. Another problem is that many of the lists are opinion based, and sometimes a card isn’t used because the writer “doesn’t have one”. To avoid all that, I propose a new idea. Instead of posting a full list, post a skeleton list. Make a list of all the truly essential cards. Also, even if you have the card's picture in the article, make sure to link each different card in the list to the gallery. How to do that comes later. Since no article I have seen has done this, I am going to make an example. Here is an example of a skeleton Luxchomp list:

39 cards:

2X Luxray GL Lv.X
2X Luxray GL
2X Garchomp C Lv.X
2X Garchomp C
1X Uxie Lv.X
2X Uxie
2X Crobat G
1X Azelf

4X Cyrus’s Conspiracy
3X Energy Gain
4X Poke turn
2X Power Spray
1X Aaron’s Collection
1X SP Radar
1X Pokémon collector

4X Double Colorless Energy
3X Call Energy
2X Electric Energy

See how that’s a nice bare-bones list? It shows 39 essential cards for the deck. In the bare bones list, don’t provide for a varied number of a card, like 3-4 energy gain. Give the lowest number of the card you think is needed. It’s also obvious that 9 energy isn’t enough. Later, there is a section where you can mention extras. Also, don’t provide variations, like 1-2X Luxray GL Lv.X, 3-2X Luxray GL. If there is a possible variation in a Pokémon line like that, discuss it later. However, this list isn’t done. The deck finishing section comes later.

Or you can ignore all that, post a full list, and, in all probability, get bashed more (unless you have an uber list).

Card Descriptions
Here, you provide a description for each card in the essentials lists. Tell us what it does and how it will further the decks goal to win. Since these are the cards you think are needed describe why you think it is necessary to have it in the deck. Tell us how to use it whenever we get it. Explain how to use it early, mid, and late game. Don’t feel pressured to make the description super-long. Some cards need more explanation than others. Cards such as energy do not require nearly as long a description as your main attacker. Provide pictures with your cards. Any main cards, or any card that you think most people have never heard of, should have a picture. That way people don’t need to search around to find out what it does. A good description that tells you what the card is supposed to do is found in Porii Sames paragraph about the infamous Beedrill G:

4 Beedrill GBeedrill G is the main man in this deck, but first let’s have a quick look at him. 80 HP for a basic is nice; up there with Luxray GL and Garchomp C. Next, we’ll look at his type. Grass, sadly, hits few things for weakness, but you have Uxie for type coverage. Now onto Beedrill’s attacks. Its first is what the structure of the deck is built upon. Raid can do 40 damage for one energy, provided you played it down that turn. With the excess amounts of Super Scoop Ups and Poké Turns, it shouldn’t be that hard for the first few turns. His second attack, Fury Attack, has very few uses. In fact, I can’t think of any at all. I’ve really only ever used it once, and that was during the first game I ever played with the deck. It can do up to 90 damage, and is an OK desperate attack if you need one. However, it should be noted that Beedrill G is only the main attacker for the first few turns; other turns you’ll be relying on Uxie’s Psychic Restore. But still, Beedrill is the main Pokémon you want to attack with the first few turns, unless you cannot refresh Beedrills quick enough, or you’re facing something that resists Grass or Donphan. Onto its other aspects, x2 to Fire is not too bad; Charizard is rarely ever played, in my area at least. People say that it is bad to be weak to Blaziken FB Lv.X in this format because it is making a rise. However, it still cannot OHKO Beedrill G with Vapor Kick, and could OHKO me anyways with Jet Shoot. No resistance is depressing, but OK. 1 retreat cost is modest, but it turns to a simple 0 with Champion’s Room.

See how he tells you how the card is supposed to be used during the whole game? He tells you how to use it, when to use it, and other cards that work well with it. You don’t want the people playing your deck to draw a card and go “now what do I do with this?” His description tells you what to do with Beedrill whenever you get it.

Filler Cards​
This is the new section made to go along with the bare-bones list. This could also come before the card descriptions, and then you could have one section explaining all mentioned cards. In this section, list cards to fit into the missing slots in the list above. At the start of this section, put a very short line with the amount of cards left to fill the deck. This is where you can use your personal preference, and cards you don’t think are all that good. It could also replace the “tech” section in most articles. With each card provide a description of what you think of the card and how to use it if put in your deck. You should use this section to mention any card you think there should be more in the deck than in the bare list. Since you gave a description of the card earlier, a quick reason why you think there should be more is all it will need. Don’t forget to mention the need for extra energy. Again, no article has tried this, so I will make a short example filler section of my own for the Luxchomp above:

Cards to fill: 21

Umbreon UD: (Example of a personally liked card)
Umbreon is a card that compliments Luxchomp nicely. With its attack Moonlight Fang it can stop a wide range of Pokémon from attacking it, blocking Luxray, Garchomp, Gengar, and more. It’s not useful at all against decks without powers or bodies, so if that’s all you’ve been seeing I don’t recommend using it. You should only get it on the field when Moonlight Fang can stall something, or if you need a high HP buffer. Quick blow isn’t useful, and you should only attach an extra energy in order to retreat without wasting a dark energy. Cards you will also need to put in if you use Umbreon are Eevee (I recommend UD) and at least one darkness energy.

Energy Exchanger: (Example of a “don’t-think-it’s-all-that-good” card)
I don’t particularly like this card. According to everyone, it is used to get a quick DCE so that Garchomp can snipe quickly or to power up faster than a basic energy card. It’s also used so that Cyrus can, in a way, get you a special energy. Use it if you want. This card does not need any other cards to work. If you plan on using it, I recommend one or two.

2 Aaron’s Collection: (Example of a “more than what is in the list” card)
I personally find two Aarons useful. I use both almost every game. With two you can use one early to revive a Lv.X and the second one to get the cards to finish the game.

Extra Lightning energy: (Example of extra energy card)
If you don’t think two lightning energy is enough add more. I suggest adding two, unless you use something like Umbreon, in which case you should add one (unless you really want two).

Those are each an example of the type of cards I mentioned earlier. I personally like energy exchanger; I was just using it as an example. Using these two sections (bare-bones list and filler cards) you can also list more than the allowed 60 cards and let the reader fill in their own list.

Strategy​
This should be your most descriptive section. You want to tell people how to WIN with the deck. It should be a long section, sometimes re-stating what you have already said above in card descriptions. Tell people how to use the cards you have given them to win. Tell your audience what to do early game, mid game, and late game. A good strategy section example comes from Darkmot’s Sablelock article:

Normally I would have to say, that you should try to get a Sableye as soon as possible and then go for the lock over and over until you finally have it, but that's not the truth for me. That was just the basic idea when the deck was invented into the game and now it is something different. Now it is an combination of pure Speed, disruption and Revenge Killing. It can have an lock, yes, but you'll get it very rare and if you get the lock you win. That's why this Deck can't be played as an lock everytime, because if you would get the lock everytime this would be BDIF.
However let's say you get your starthand and don't have a Sableye to start with.
What should you do?
Well actually you go for what you have and set up like with every other Deck and don't try to get the lock as long as you are not set. Try to get one decent Pokémon you can go for, such as Garchomp C, or Honchkrow, or Honchkrow G, etc. and do whatever is needed to kill your oppenents most important Pokemons, which will be their actives and if not you have Garchomp.
And then, but just then it will be the best choice to play a Judge or an Initiative to stop them getting more of theirVIPs (very important Pokémon). As long as they have problems to get their VIPs you have the time to take an advantagen and eventually win. That's the way to play Sablelock in like 80% of all games. In the other 20% you have a Sableye start with Judge, or Initiative, or however the starthand looks like, but just then you will be able to really go for the lock and then you still need luck to fully get it.
So here we come to Chatot G, what probably is the eye of the lock, but I say no, because this is what makes the lock more effective. For me Chatot is a card, that makes the oppenent scoop as they always did when I played it. That's why I don't really like Chatot. They shouldn't scoop, they should have a chance to play on, I should have the chance to get a good game, but when the oppenent scoops it isn't a good game anymore, because it wasn't funny for him and he didn't like to play against me anymore. That's like the feeling of donking, out of my experience.
You may not understand this, but I hope you do.

Since Sablelock is mostly a start-of-the-game deck, that’s what he describes, and he tells you about it well. When you talk about your deck make sure anyone can understand what you are telling them to do. Again, with a bare-bones list, the strategy would be more of a general strategy, but that is for you to write when you come to it. Make sure your audience knows how to win.

Matchups​
This section is crazy. It’s hard to get matchups without theorymon. You should not have numbered matchups. Nothing is as precise as 50-50 or 65-35. Instead, give the matchup a “(___) to win” matchup (hard, easy, very hard, etc.) Since certain tech cards change matchups, you should mention them. However, don’t change the matchup, just say “easier with insertcardhere”. With Luxchomp, the Gyarados matchup changes with Lucario GL. So you would write “Luxchomp vs. Gyarados, (___) to win. Easier with Lucario GL”.

In your summary, describe why the match is easy/hard, and how the tech changes it. If you haven’t played against a certain deck even once, you probably shouldn’t make up the matchup. The decks you test against should be either built from another article, or made by one of your friends, as long as they’re good. Playing against someone who’s been playing for 2 weeks isn’t exactly ideal testing. Remember, the point of a matchup is to tell us HOW TO WIN. If the matchup is hard, tell us WHY it is hard and how we should play to get around our disadvantage. Also tell us how to set up (like the first 3~4 turns), mid game (when all the big guns are on the field) and late game (last 2~3 prizes). Don’t tell us that you won with luck, or by donking; matchups should be described on the side of a standard length game. Also, in a matchup, NEVER. EVER. Assume luck. If you play Gengar SF, you will NEVER get the heads on Fainting Spell. Sure, in a real game you may, but not in a theoretical match up. Never rely on luck. Also, your opponent always gets lucky. If your matchup is Vilegar, you should discuss how to get around Fainting Spell.

In general, each matchup should be a good 4 sentences at LEAST. The more prevalent the deck in the meta game, the longer the matchup should be.

Near-end​
This area is optional. You’re right near the end, and you could just close it out, but some short comments may be necessary to clarify something. You could provide an FAQ to discuss why certain cards weren’t mentioned, or a side discussion about why to play your deck as opposed to something else. This is also where you would talk about variations, such as the 3-1 Luxray GL I mentioned earlier. This area should be short or non-existent.

Closing Remarks​
The closing remarks should be something about the deck, not strategy, something that sounds good as an ending. It doesn’t need to be long, even one sentence about the deck is fine. You’ve described the deck in detail and just need to end the article.

Credits​
These can come at the end or before the closing statement. Give credit to those who helped you! Tell us what they did. Did they help you write it? Proof read it for you? If someone helped you, don’t shove them off, they deserve to be mentioned.

Quick guide to putting pictures in your article:

Since not everyone knows how to do this, here is a quick guide on how to post pictures in your article.
First, head to the Pokegym gallery, then find the card you want. Click on the picture of the card, and it will pull up another page. On that page, copy the link from your browser. It should look something like http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=#####&original=#&c=### . All you want is the string until after the first set of numbers. Cut out the”&” and everything after it. With that link, type:
. Look out, though. When posting, there is a little area under the typing area called "Additional Options". There is a box with "Automatically parse links in text" next to it. Make sure that is not checked. If it is, your picture wont appear, just the link with IMG around it. When done correctly, your picture will appear, like so:
displayimage.php

Miscellaneous:
This isn’t an article section, just a section about article writing in general.

1) Your article shouldn’t contain inside jokes, so don't post anything only you and a few friends understand. No one would know what you’re talking about. To top it off, they’re not allowed anyway. However, just because you shouldn’t have inside jokes doesn’t mean leave out all humor. Jokes are important to an article. They make it fun to read. Don’t overdo it, but a joke here and there can make an article flow better, and will keep readers hooked through the whole thing. Just don’t let it get in the way of the point of the deck.

2) Stay on track. If your article is on Vileplume/Bellossome, don’t have half the article talking about how it beats Luxchomp. A deck should be all-purpose, not all out to beat one deck. Remember, you’re telling us how it works, not “if you face this deck, do this”. That’s what matchups are for.

3)Pictures help an article. You shouldn’t have a pic of every card in your deck (unless you’re using small enough pictures) but it’s nice to have a reference for anyone who may not know what a card does. Provide pics of main cards and any card you think the majority of people don’t know about.

4) Grammar. You are going for a front page article. It should be well written. Do NOT use u instead of you, don’t forget periods and commas, caps, and spacing. Get your there’s theirs and they’re-s right. A wall of text is an eye-sore. The enter key is your friend. Also, do not use acronyms. No lol or FTW or pwnt. They’re fun in a chat room, but they’re no good for an article. And, like, don’t, like, use like, man.

5)Link all your cards to the gallery. To do that, you can either post it the long way, with a full link (which doesn’t look to professional), or you can turn each card name into a link. To do that, start the same way you would to post a picture, buy finding and editing the url to the right length. Once you have that, instead of making it an , post:
[URL=”link here”] Words to link [/URL
Just with an end bracket after the last url. The = and the “are important. Without them, your link will go to an error page. Test your links before posting the article. When you get it right, it will look like this: [URL="http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=48301"]Mudkip![/URL]
In your article, link the cards in the list. Make sure every card mentioned is linked at least once somewere, even if you have it's picture in the article.

6) Judging by the recent articles, your deck needing a good tournament record is out the window. Maybe after states roll around it’ll be back, but for now, write about what you know. If it HAS been doing well, tell us where and why.

8) EXPECT CRITICISM. Yes, some of it isn’t deserved, that’s life, people are jerks. Sometimes it's just an insult. A post like "This list is terrible, no one should play this deck" is just an insult. Ignore it, or shrug it off graciously. However, SOME of the people are actually trying to help you. They may mask it with rudeness, but you are not the ultimate king of Pokémon. There is always someone out there better than you, and they will give you advice if you listen.

9) Be kind and respect people’s opinions in the comments. More than half of someone’s opinion of you comes from how you respond to other people. Be kind. Calling someone a noob is just going to spark fights. This one should be taken everywhere, not just on forums.

10) After a recent article was taken down from the front page the mod said it was because “the original post has been edited. If you want to re-write your article, please re-post it in the submissions again.” Fix typos and add important matchups. If you use the new deck list style, adding cards shouldn't be a problem. However, if, say, a new set comes out or a rotation happens, the whole article may need to be re-writen and re-posted, as an edit may tun it into a huge mess and make early comments no longer relevant.

11) Don’t post your article the day you write it. Take a few days to fine-tune it, add things you missed, test the deck more, and have other people read it. If you post it within minutes of finishing it, you will find problems with it. But it’s a little late then. Even if you do take time to go over it, there's no guarantee It's going to be recived well. In that case, be kind and look back at 9 and 10.

12) From a lot of comments on recent articles, there have been negative comments about the mods that let articles on the front page. I’m not going to comment on that here, as this is an article about writing articles. If you think this is a problem, please discuss it elsewhere.

13) I’m not trying to be the mod telling you what you have to have in your article to get it on the front page, I’m trying to provide a template for you to work off of. If you take my advice, your article will probably have a higher chance of making it than if you don’t.

14) You did not notice that there was no number 7. Unless, of course, you did.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope this one article inspires future writers to give it a go.

Credits:
My brother for proof-reading.

Last edited:
this is a really good Article, garch! It'll help a lot of people (including me). BTW, thanks for putting up the instructions on how to get pictures onto threads/articles, i didn't know how to do it until now.

Excellent article for anyone to read that is thinking about writing for any site.

Stuck to the top.

Ah, very nice! Like the article a lot!

lol I actually got mention! But if I ever do end up writing another article, I will totally find and look over this :D!

I'd retitle this to "An Article on How to Write a Deck Strategy Article". Some of the better FPAs that I've seen have been opinion pieces, goodwill stories, and similar types. And those are significantly different from Deck Strategy Articles.

Otherwise, this is what the community has needed for several years, just nobody has really been able to put it down on paper (or post) quite this well. Excellent job!

I consider myself - between intermittent sessions of scumbaggery, to be a fair man. As such, I will outline particular points that I believe should be made in defense or at least in contextual consideration of the points you raise further down in your article.

Now, mind, it is not intention to belittle your efforts: I appreciate you providing a helpful resource for people in the future to consider when writing their articles, and thereby, thank you. However, I must note that in between the constant pat-on-back efforts I'm seeing here, criticism is required. Otherwise we simply entrench the egos of people without consequence, and as much as that may or may not be warranted, it's not conducive for newer players.

1) Your article shouldn’t contain inside jokes. No one would know what you’re talking about. To top it off, they’re not allowed anyway.

Questionable at best. You need to define 'inside jokes'. For example, jokes that pertain to a particular group, clique or enclosed community are definitely problematic, as they give the vibe and feeling of exclusion from the community. However, previous Front Page articles have regularly applied community metahumour into their articles.

Phazon Elite's Blissey/Drapion makes continual small snides to conventional deck and power structure as well as his comment on percentages is an example of metahumour as well. Of an older example, prodigal_fanboy's MSI article (which, which in my opinion I still hold and consider to be one of the best, if not the best written article I have come across on the 'Gym) strongly focuses on the subtle and intelligent use of wording and article structure to set the mood for the article.

I know the staff will likely disagree with me (or at least I believe so), but jokes are allowed, whether the rules construe it as so or not: it's whether it slips through, and frankly, they do. A better way to express your advice would be 'it would be best to minimize inside jokes where possible and devote space to moer economical writing'.

2) Just because you shouldn’t have inside jokes doesn’t mean leave out all humor. Jokes are important to an article. They make it fun to read. Don’t overdo it, but a joke here and there can make an article flow better, and will keep readers hooked through the whole thing. Just don’t let it get in the way of the point of the deck.

Careful wording. Look above. This really should be placed together into one subheading altogether rather than pegged as a list.

3) Stay on track. If your article is on Vileplume/Bellossome, don’t have half the article talking about how it beats Luxchomp. A deck should be all-purpose, not all out to beat one deck. Remember, you’re telling us how it works, not “if you face this deck, do this”. That’s what matchups are for.

This seems like a hyperbole. I do not see people get off topic that much, or at least, in the situation where it detracts from the deck altogether. We derive the utility of our success from our capacity to beat people. If a deck works on a strategy that counters another deck (the recent Umbreon-Scizor and Sablelock articles focus on this) as integration of its strategy, then why not?

To compartmentalize sections so stringently risks writers providing nebulous claims: you are making an argument 'this is a viable/competitive/fun decklist, and you should play'. Thereby, continual callback to your thesis is vital.

4)Pictures help an article. You shouldn’t have a pic of every card in your deck (unless you’re using small enough pictures) but it’s nice to have a reference for anyone who may not know what a card does. Provide pics of main cards and any card you think the majority of people don’t know about.

About time someone calls people out on this. Kudos to you, my good man.

5) Grammar. You are going for a front page article. It should be well written. Do NOT use u instead of you, don’t forget periods and commas, caps, and spacing. Get your there’s theirs and they’re-s right. A wall of text is an eye-sore. The enter key is your friend. Also, do not use acronyms. No lol or FTW or pwnt. They’re fun in a chat room, but they’re no good for an article. And, like, don’t, like, use like, man.

I would argue that is rarely the issue on the Gym in terms of its front page articles. At least, when speaking about grammar, it's not the 'u' with the 'you's or the periods and the commas - 'Gym front page articles, compared to other sights such as Sixprizes, TCGPlayer and Pokebeach are actually fairly good quality. Rather, the main gripe that is prevalent is the use of proper diction, sentence structure and pacing.

The knowledge of difference between free morphemes (when and when not to use them), the importance of distinction between definite and indefinite articles, and the consistent use of tense in an article are all things that Pokegym members sorely lack when writing their articles. I myself am not immune to this, so I don't expect people to pick it up immediately. However, at the very least, I had hoped that you had picked this out rather than the normal, common and rudimentary advice that people do follow.

6)Link all your cards to the gallery. To do that, you can either post it the long way, with a full link (which doesn’t look to professional), or you can turn each card name into a link. To do that, start the same way you would to post a picture, buy finding and editing the url to the right length. Once you have that, instead of making it an , post:
[URL=”link here”] Words to link [/URL
Just with an end bracket after the last url. The = and the “are important. Without them, your link will go to an error page. Test your links before posting the article. When you get it right, it will look like this: [URL="http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=48301"]Mudkip![/URL]
In your article, link the cards in the list. Make sure every card mentioned is linked at least once somewere, even if you have it's picture in the article.[/quote]

Good man.

[quote]8) Judging by the recent articles, your deck needing a good tournament record is out the window. Maybe after states roll around it’ll be back, but for now, write about what you know. If it HAS been doing well, tell us where and why.[/quote]

That's never been the case, despite what anybody argued. Decks have always been about their variety, fun-value, and interesting deck constitutions rather than win-record. People just tend to legitimize the articles as more 'acceptable' when there is empirical evidence to support matchups, strategy and list.

To imply that it was once difference suggests a strong bias on your part: that's not your job in this article. Bias is evident in the deck writing of a particular author because that is the deck he has vested interest in. You shouldn't because this is a public good: all people have access to this knowledge regardless, and so to imply negativity (with the phrase 'out the window', which bears negative connotations), and as such you are effectively indirectly supporting a constrictive paradigm.

[quote]9) EXPECT CRITICISM. Yes, some of it isn’t deserved, that’s life, people are jerks. However, SOME of the people are actually trying to help you. They may mask it with rudeness, but you are not the ultimate king of Pokémon. There is always someone out there better than you, and they will give you advice if you listen.[/quote]

There's a difference between an insult and criticism. If they're insulting you, then shrug it off, ignore them, and move on. If they're criticising you, then figure out why they are doing so. Why do they not agree? What was the list they used specifically? Under what circumstances? How much empirical evidence supports their claim? Is there strong inherent bias in the criticism?

Understanding the multitude of variables that make up a single person's criticism is important to properly address their concerns and effectively understanding their view and why they made such an argument. Conversely, I believe you would be better off noting or explaining to future article writers as to how they can pick out an insult from criticism.

[quote]10) Be kind and respect people’s opinions in the comments. More than half of someone’s opinion of you comes from how you respond to other people. Be kind. Calling someone a noob is just going to spark fights. This one should be taken everywhere, not just on forums.[/quote]

Good man.

[quote]11) After a recent article was taken down from the front page the mod said it was because “the original post has been edited. If you want to re-write your article, please re-post it in the submissions again.” So don’t go editing your deck. Fix typos, add a matchup, but don’t take stuff away or add more cards. It makes your article look sloppy.[/quote]

Organicism in a deck isn't necessarily a bad thing: updating a deck ensures minimal errors, provides up to date information, and reduces copycat threads, allowing a better, more centralized nexus of information. Many forums do it all the time; Pokegym does not. Now, admittedly, I am against what the mods are doing and that there is little sentiment against this from the member base, but this is their site, not mine, so I respect their decision to do so.

That said, you cannot fix a typo or expect matchups every single time. Whose problem is it if someone forgets a crucial matchup? If the writer forgot it, it makes it difficult to legitimize changing it if it's up, so what happens then?

Rather, I believe one of the more important things that you did not seem to mention is the role the articles play in the imprint of the game's zeitgeist at the time of its writing. Articles insinuate a particular play-style when they are released and a mindframe, showing the evolution of the game itself. Just as how Sci-Fi novels may date scientific theories over time, the articles on the 'Gym are representative of their respective metagames. Under that argument, I would agree that editing an article is not advisable, as it does not allow a tracking of exactly how people move from one play style to another and what decks were good or bad now versus then.

[quote]12) Don’t post your article the day you write it. Take a few days to fine-tune it, add things you missed, test the deck more, and have other people read it. If you post it within minutes of finishing it, you will find problems with it. But it’s a little late then.[/quote]

Possibly. If it's a poorly written or bad article, people will call you out on it. Bippa201's Glaceon Article, for example, is one such article that was poorly received.

On the flip side, to be honest, even if you devote alot of time and love into it, there is no guarantee that it will be received favourably. Yoshi's Gardevoir-Magnezone deck, for example, was initially received unfavourably until enough momentum was created after his CC's, and even then, it was still contested on the argument of a different metagame.

While I understand the merit in you wanting to ensure people to devote as much effort into their article, I strongly advise that such a claim be epilogued by a disclaimer-esque note.

[quote]14) I’m not trying to be the mod telling you what you have to have in your article to get it on the front page, I’m trying to provide a template for you to work off of. If you take my advice, your article will probably have a higher chance of making it than if you don’t.[/quote]

I applaud you on your efforts.

Thank you, all.

@ Bullados, yes, that would be a more descriptice title. At first I wanted something that just sounded interesting, and my title worked for that. I don't think it'll cause any confution.

@jjkkl, thank you for that post. I dont undestand EVERYTHING you said, but I thank you for giving me an honest post.

For 1, I had an inside joke, but it didn't flow well, so I cut it. What's ment by it is anything only you and maybe a few friends know.

For 5, I have actually seen someone use u in a front page article. That's why I mentioned that one particularly. Also, I'm not a grammer person myself. I know how to use it, but I'm no good at telling someone else how to. Math is my thing.

I provided 8 because a lot of negetive comments on decks have been along the line of "What has this deck won? Nothing? It should be pulled down". I put that in in an attempt to curb those comments.

On 9, yes I should define between insult and criticism. Thank you.

11, I think with the new deck setup I talk about, editing in cards should be much easier, so yes, I should mention that adding cards isn't to much of a problem.
As for your argument about how an article affects the game, I hadn't thought of that, and I think it's a good argument. If someone needs to edit their whole article, it should probably be reposted.

For 12, waiting a little while wont hurt the deck. Sure, it may still not come out great, but it's probably better than when it was just finished.

Thank you for your input.

@ Alex, let me know if you find out what the problem is so I can describe how to avoid it.

Back