Not open for further replies.

Quali

An Emo Pool Master (Empoleon/Omastar)
(The name is an anagram, cool huh?)

Decklist and Basic Strategy

Author: Quali
Date: June 17th, 2008
Format: HP-On
Name: An Emo Pool Master (Empoleon/Omastar)

This deck began to emerge when Majestic Dawn was released, and I feel that it is a solid deck archetype.
It is a powerful deck with a flexible strategy, and can be easily teched to suit individual metagaming needs.
Its presence was enough to beat Magmortar into recession, and can hold its own against other popular archetypes as well.

TOTAL CARDS: 60

POKEMON: 23

1 : Empoleon Lv.X DP
3 : Empoleon MD
3 : Prinplup DP
3 : Piplup DP
2 : Claydol GE
2 : Baltoy GE
2 : Omastar MD
2 : Omanite MD
2 : Helix Fossil MD
3 : Phione MD (evo wish)

TRAINERS: 21

4 : Bebe's Search SW
3 : Roseanne's Research SW
3 : Rare Candy GE
2 : Night Maintenance MT
2 : Team Galactic's Wager MT
3 : Professor Oak's Visit SW
1 : Warp Point MD
1 : Scott PK
1 : Celio's Network CG
1 : Dawn Stadium MD

ENERGY: 16

3 : Scramble Energy DF
4 : Call Energy MD
9 : Water Energy DP

Strategy Summary: Speed your setup into a fully powered Empoleon, spread damage and deal with threats, late game Omastar for multiple KOs.

POKEMON:

Starters:
Start out with: Phione or Piplup. Phione is ideal, with a Call Energy filling up the bench and Evolving them. Piplup is also nice for his free attack and evolves into Prinplup quickly for early damage spread.

> Phione: You want to get this with a Call energy attached. The first turn should be used to get Claydol and Piplup, and the next turn evolving the Claydol. Use it as long as you can to get your setup together and a large bench.
> Piplup: This card is integral to the deck's victory. Evolve to Prinplup immedaitely, and Aqua Shower for intital damage spread. Brine should be used sparingly, and primarily to kill their setup pokemon if really needed. Remember, what you're truly aiming for is Empoleon.
> Baltoy: It has its uses, but fighting isn't it. Try hard not to get it killed if you're forced to star with it.
> Helix Fossil: Probably the worst possible starter. Does nothing, and its evolutions are only useful late game. Keep it in the hand or on the bench like the rock it is.

Attackers:

> Empoleon: Empoleon is the main attacker, and can be played two ways, depending on what is needed. Either you can stock your bench for aggressive 90-100 damage attacks or you can use Dual Splash to rack up damage on benched pokemon. Nothing like a double prize draw from consecutive KOs. I prefer the MD version, but some splash the DP version as well.
> Empoleon Lv.x: This card should be used to help in sticky situations, and it's pokepower has its uses. Most often used as +10 HP and KO potential. Some people may opt for another card instead.
> Prinplup: Aqua Shower for bench spread, and should mostly be using this attack unless there is a good situation to use Brine. Evolving Prinplup isn't a bad idea either. :wink:
> Omastar: It is possible to attack a little with Omastar, but only if your opponent has a heavily damaged bench, and it is still not ideal.

Other:

> Claydol: This card is insane, often drawing up to six cards each turn, at the exchange of two useless cards. As it is so powerful, it should be set up quickly and powered to its full potential ASAP. Very useful to use up extra Phiones and call energies late game.
> Omanyte: This card is for evolution purposes only.

Trainers:

> Roseanne's Research: For the card art. Actually one of the better Supporters we have in format. I like to run four, but less still works, They can get the starters or energy whenever you need them. Plus it's got Piplup and Prinplup! What's not to like?
> Bebe's Search: Claydol eats through the deck super quickly, so putting a card back is not a bad idea. Search out any pokemon in the deck except Helix Fossil.
> Rare Candy: If you're playing with stage 2 cards it is a must. Play it. Three seems to work well, and four seems excessive.
> Night Maintence: Used to get back vital cards that have been discarded, usually bringing back Empoleon lines and energy.
> Team Galactic's Wager: Extremely useful in disrupting early game hand setup, and if you mess up at RPS, Claydol can set your hand at six again.
> Warp Point: A very useful card in some situations, and nice to avoid retreat costs.
> Professor Oak's Visit: More direct draw for the deck in case one of your Claydols dies, so you won't have a huge gap setting up the next one. Could be taken out for something better.
> Scott: Useful for the Dawn Stadium in a pinch, but usually used to setup later Supporters when you run out.
> Celio's Network: Although only one, it is there for consistency, and meant to help if you don't get an early Bebe, or if you don't want to lose a card.
> Dawn Stadium: This is a personal tech for me, and is sometimes useful when you get bad flips on Surf Together. Also avoids nasty status effects. This is another slot that could be switched for something better.

Basically AEPM can be played either aggressivly or more techincal, depending on your style, and can change strategies instantly if needs be.

Aggro players should keep a smaller bench and spam Surf Together until Empoleon dies, then send out another one at full power.
It is possible to rack up lots of quick KO's when you're doing 70-100 damage each turn, assuming that you have Claydol benched
and another Empoleon being set up. 70 damage over two turns kills almost anything good in format, and it is easy to control damage output.
The risk of tails isn't as terrible as it seems, and Dawn Stadium eases the pain.

The other way to play is more spread oriented, using Empoleon and Prinplup to Damage the bench and using Omastar to kill evolved pokemon.
Try to damage each pokemon until its basic/stage 1 form would be dead, then play a well-timed Omastar with its Pokepower to get multiple KOs at once.

Either way is rather viable, and this deck is so versatile that it can compete with many decks in format.

P.S. If anyone can send me matchup stats & alternate decklist/variations, I would be very grateful.

Questions/Suggestions? PM me. :thumb:

Last edited:
I think you are talking about Dawn Stadium, not moonlight. Also, switch the bebe's with celio's, atleast for this matchup.

Trainers:

> Roseanne's Research: For the card art. Actually one of the better Supporters we have in format. I like to run four, but less still works, They can get the starters or energy whenever you need them. Plus it's got Piplup and Prinplup! What's not to like?
> Bebe's Search: Claydol eats through the deck super quickly, so putting a card back is not a bad idea. Search out any pokemon in the deck except Helix Fossil.
> Rare Candy: If you're playing with stage 2 cards it is a must. Play it. Three seems to work well, and four seems excessive.
> Night Maintence: Used to get back vital cards that have been discarded, usually bringing back Empoleon lines and energy.
> Team Galactic's Wager: Extremely useful in disrupting early game hand setup, and if you mess up at RPS, Claydol can set your hand at six again.
> Warp Point: A very useful card in some situations, and nice to avoid retreat costs.
> Professor Oak's Visit: More direct draw for the deck in case one of your Claydols dies, so you won't have a huge gap setting up the next one. Could be taken out for something better.
> Scott: Useful for the Moonlight Stadium in a pinch, but usually used to setup later Supporters when you run out.
> Celio's Network: Although only one, it is there for consistency, and meant to help if you don't get an early Bebe, or if you don't want to lose a card.
> Moonlight Stadium: This is a personal tech for me, and is sometimes useful when you get bad flips on Surf Together. Also avoids nasty status effects. This is another slot that could be switched for something better.

Dawn Stadium? Moonlight stadium makes :dark: and :psychic: types have free retreat.

Well, that I CANT give out dude, I do run a few Empo DP though which helps this match-up A LOT.

And Bugsbite, you know My Empo deck is Super fast, but of course that Electivire deck of yours can MURDER IT!!!
I would LOVE to play that EmpoStar of yours, your daughter ran it Very well this past weekend, GOOD JOB!!!

No, dude! You Dont need phonie, that slows Empo down, unless its just for the T2 Prinplup!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back