Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Announcing an Illegal Attack

toxictaipan

Back in States I was playing a match against one of my Final Opponents. We were running low on time and we each had 1 Prize left. And this match Pretty much made Top cut for either of us. So we are really doing everthing possible to win.

So, down to the Final Prize for each of us, I begin to call my attack. I believe I called out "Psychic Blade" on my Gallade. Gallade's attacks are Psychic Cut and Sonic Blade. So I called out an attack that doesn't even exist. I wanted to use Psychic Cut and thought I actually said Psychic Cut, so I start to pull my Prize and said something like, "And that's game" or "I win." So he says "How?" I reply "I used Psychic Cut for the Knock Out." And says, "No, you said Sonic Blade." So we had a little spat and called a judge over. So the judge rules in his favor with Benefit of the Doubt. I am perfectly fine with this ruling, but I wasn't sure it was handled correctly. Should Benefit of the Doubt be handled like that, or sense I called out an attack that doesn't exist should I be allowed to go back to the attack step and choose the attack I want.

Or in simpler terms:

We are each at our last Prize.

I announce "Psychic Blade"

I was going to use Psychic Cut.

My opponent says I announced Sonic Blade not Psychic Cut.

Judge gives me no voice in the fact that I pointed out I thought I said "Psychic Blade." So he says something like, 'We have to go with benefit of the doubt, because there is no proof you said that. You can't go back because you want to use a different attack.' I'm not quite sure he understood exactly what I was saying, but that's how it went.

So, should have it been handled like that, or because I thought I said Psychic Cut but made a mistake and said "Psychic Blade," should I have been given Benefit of The Doubt and be allowed back into the attack step?

The bad thing here is I named half of 2 attacks and gave my opponent an opportunity in his favor. I still won the game and I'm not mad about the ruling especially if that's how it is really supposed to go. I was just checking if that was the correct way to handle that incase it ever comes up again.

Thank you for your time,
toxictaipan

Last edited:
The best way to handle a misplay is to not make the error in the first place.
Everything after that is trying to clean up a mess as best as possible.

We can't second guess a judge third hand based on your account and with no input from either that judge or the opponent.

Back