Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Anti-gengar strategy

Gwaihir75

Is it viable to use tyranitar with weaville and some uxies? Uxie with darkness special energy turned to dark by weaville does 80 dmg (with an expert belt and gengar's weakness) to gengar without risk of fainting spell. So 1 tyranitar's spinning tail and let uxie do the rest :smile:
A lot of players are playing gengars (esp. mothergengar) so I'm just looking for anti-gengar deck. Does anyone have different and better idea?

Thats the best stratergy possible. 4 Spinning Tails more or less will get you game, and they will struggle to draw prizes as long as Weavile and Claydol are G'd. However Nidoqueen is a problem.

I would solve nidoqueen with grind (3 normal, 2 special darkness energy) and she's down, right? If it sits on the bench i have to just use more spinning tails :( But I like tyranitar and sometimes I manage to setup it really fast even with my misplays ;-)

I'm still looking for anti-gengar tech/combo other than above mentioned.

Last edited:
Amphy pl. g the dol, set up, get both out and grind 6kos in a row without FS in your way.

I used to run a restorechomp deck, and those were 2 of my techs. does work wonders.

If you want to defeat Gengar, then Ampharos PL is the way to go. I have run Ampharos in several decks, and Tyranitar with Ampharos worked really well. I just charged up a Tyranitar, dropped Crobat G, and Grinded whatever was active for 6 straight KOs. Flygon Lock also gives Gengar trouble, as long as your opponent doesn't Guard Claydol and you get Flygon Lv. X out before your opponent gets out Gengar Lv. X.

On a side note, I tested a Shuppet deck with Lucario GL and Weavile and that seemed to work OK. However, the early Pitch Dark caused my defeat a couple of times.

I would solve nidoqueen with grind (3 normal, 2 special darkness energy) and she's down, right? If it sits on the bench i have to just use more spinning tails :( But I like tyranitar and sometimes I manage to setup it really fast even with my misplays ;-)

I'm still looking for anti-gengar tech/combo other than above mentioned.

Yeah you can grind... But who's gonna have the queen active? A spinning tail does 10 damage to Queen. So if you can do 10 of them weldone! If not well... To be honest you can't stop Queen without making the deck clunky. Just consider it auto loss. 'Cos I can't see you having 5 Dark energy on a T-Tar attacking 10 times without dieing. Simples:wink:

Last edited:
But who's gonna have the queen active?
Luxray GL Lv.X? Palkia Lv.X? Warp point? Regice? Cyclone energy? Spinning tail won't work so grind is a must. The problem si that moonlight stadion works for both sides, so is BTS. I don't want autoloss to gengar I'm looking for iwinbutton for gengar, esp. mother gengar ;-) I just like t-tar and gengar is weak to dark pokemons so I thought t-tar/weavile/dark uxie might work. Maybe darkrai would be better option, but nidoqueen always heal dmg between rounds - would it be simultaneous (darkrai G's eerie aura with maternal comfort)?

Luxray GL Lv.X? Palkia Lv.X? Warp point? Regice? Cyclone energy? Spinning tail won't work so grind is a must. The problem si that moonlight stadion works for both sides, so is BTS. I don't want autoloss to gengar I'm looking for iwinbutton for gengar, esp. mother gengar ;-) I just like t-tar and gengar is weak to dark pokemons so I thought t-tar/weavile/dark uxie might work. Maybe darkrai would be better option, but nidoqueen always heal dmg between rounds - would it be simultaneous (darkrai G's eerie aura with maternal comfort)?

Trouble is aside from Warp Point, I doubt any of those would improve your deck ing general. With Warp Pointm they're likely to send out something different anyway.

And out of ALL of them what ones are you gonna use? Just Warp. And I doubt a Gengar player is gonna have 1 bench Pokemon. Nidoqueen kills this I mean come on! It's simples!:wink:

The best anwser to nidoqueen is Dialga G lvX, then Dp Dusknoir or 4 pokeblowers. Aside from Dusknoir, most spread decks will be hard pressed to make the other cards work.

Yeah, queen makes spread :(

k, so definitely ampharos.

Does any deck aside from above mentioned flygon have a good matchup with mothergengar?

Well heres my stragey with gengar....much differnt from any one elises Okay i restore gengar with garchomp x and when i use dragons breath with garchomp its puts damge counters on there bench most likely then the next turn i get gengar out and use damage compound and it does thirtey to all there bench pokemon i want to inform people theres zapdos from majestic dawn and when you put him down you flip a coin if heads it does damge to all there bench with gengar doing damge to all there bench you might end the match in a couple of turns.

Speedrill, it's fair with it, since T2 Expert Belt, Band Attack = 50 DMG, OHKO their little Gastly's for the Game.

Cards like Uxie, Shuppet, Poison, Placing Damage Counters, etc. can easily get around Gengar's Fainting Spell. Then, you have the strategy where you try to get rid of as many trainer cards as you like. Maybe, try to use Healing cards like Poke-Turn, Super Scoop Up, Blissey, Poke Healer, etc to remove the damage counters from Shadow Room, and use up most-all of your Trainers to avoid taking damage from Poltergeist. Also, make a deck that doesn't revolve so much on Pokemon Powers and if you hate Gengar so much. Then run Dark Flygon (Flygon/Weavile).

Trouble is aside from Warp Point, I doubt any of those would improve your deck ing general. With Warp Pointm they're likely to send out something different anyway.

I'd just like to stop and point out the number of successful Tyranitar decks last season that ran Palkia Lv. X. It's not unprecedented, and given Nidoqueen's existence in the format, it's how I would play it were I to resurrect it for the upcoming format.

Are you guys seriously considering a Tyranitar deck as a counter for Gengar? Gengar is WAY to fast, obviously, and will just be too much to handle for T-tar. Also, flipping heads on Fainting Spell is just makes the matchup even worse.

Are you guys seriously considering a Tyranitar deck as a counter for Gengar? Gengar is WAY to fast, obviously, and will just be too much to handle for T-tar. Also, flipping heads on Fainting Spell is just makes the matchup even worse.

Yeah Gengar will be so fast with spiritomb around and Gengar can do so much to tyranitar with its pitiful damage output. Who cares if you're slower. And if you trigger FS with Tyranitar you're definitly doing it wrong...

Back