Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Anti-Meta Team

PMysterious

Hey everyone, PMysterious here. I thought I would give you a Singles team which is more focused to counter our current meta which is weather based. Let's get to it.

Ferrothorn (Male) :grass::metal:
Nature: Relaxed +DEF -SPE
Ability: Iron Barbs
Item: Leftovers
EV: 252 HP, 128 DEF, 128 SPD
Moves
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Gyro Ball
Toxic

This is my starter for the team. He sets up all of my Stealth Rocks for Sash-Breaking and to pwn Pokemon like Articuno. Spikes helps deal even more damage. After 3 layers and Stealth Rock, the Pokemon are already taking almost half of their HP just by switching in. Toxic helps Badly Poison Pokemon and hinders down walls. Gyro Ball is the only attacking move just in case you get Taunted.

Jellicent (Male) :water:
Nature: Bold +DEF -ATK
Ability: Water Absorb
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 128 DEF, 128 SPD
Moves
Scald
Taunt
Will-O-Wisp
Recover

This guy is my spin-blocker. He helps not only against Rapid Spinners but Rain Teams as well. I have got this suggestion from someone and I feel that Jellicent will be a great addition to this team.

Metagross (Genderless) :metal::psychic:
Nature: Adamant +ATK -SPA
Ability: Clear Body
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP, 252 ATK, 252 SPD
Moves
Earthquake
Agility
Meteor Mash
Bullet Punch

I think you remember what kind of Metagross this is. If you guessed Agiligross, you are right. This Pokemon follows the same strategy as an Agiligross set. All you gotta know.

Jigglypuff (Female) :colorless:
Nature: Gentle +SPD -DEF
Ability: Cute Charm
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SPD, 4 SPE
Moves
Counter
Protect
Perish Song
Thunder Wave

At first glance you might think, its just a Jigglypuff. What can it do to me? Then, Counter KOs you and you go, what? I got the idea from my original thread "Jigglypuff Power" when I made that Sweeppuff. I love this set so much. She even took out a Scizor.

Azelf (Genderless) :psychic:
Nature: Hasty +SPE -DEF
Ability: Levitate
Item: Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SPA, 252 SPE
Moves
Psyshock
Thunderbolt
Grass Knot
Shadow Ball

This set can deal with many problems for many Special sweepers like the Blissey problem. All you gotta know is this as a standard Azelf just relaxing in its chair.

Hydreigon (Female) :dark:
Nature: Hasty +SPE -DEF
Ability: Levitate
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SPA, 252 SPE
Moves
Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast
Surf
Dark Pulse

This Hydreigon in my doctor of mixing. She can even check my pulse with Dragon Pulse and Dark Pulse. She sets things on fire with Fire Blast and then hits the waves with Surf. This is a standard Hydriegon set which deals with everything.

So, that is my Anti-Meta team. If you want to give me advice or questions, just post. No need to be shy. PMysterious singing off :thumb:

Last edited:
Have you done any testing with this team? On Ferrothorn, I would replace Spikes with Leech Seed. Azelf's Nature should be Timid. You almost don't want to sacrifice defense when another stat you won't use will do. Azelf has no physical attacks in this set. If you can't get one with a Timid nature, then this would have to do.

You need to rebuild Jigglepuff. I would use this set.

Nature: Calm +SDEF -ATK
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SDEF, 4 DEF
Moves
Counter
Thunder Wave
Captivate (Egg Move)/Reflect
???

I could only thin of 3 moves for it. It does not need protect because this is a singles team. Puffs defense stats are really poor and protect is not helping it live any turns. Perish Song is not needed because Puff is not really a threat and they will just switch out.

I'll have to admit that I'm having a hard time finding a use of it in this team. I'll do my best to help out but so far, those are the only moves I can think of. Other then that, everything else looks solid.

ok. I have done testing with this team and so far its been doing quite well for its purpose. I'll change things around to make it better.

The Puff concerns me. With hazards up the sash will be broken and she will be outsped and OHKO'ed most likely. Also it seems you are relying on counters to popular threats (makes the hazards even more important) so I suggest finding room for a spinblocker.

Jellicent makes an excellent spinblocker for 5th gen OU. Gains access to Water Absorb, Taunt, Scald, Will-o-Wisp, and plenty of other goodies. It also has nice bulk. Personally I would suggest it over Gastrodon/Puff.

Have you done any testing with this team? On Ferrothorn, I would replace Spikes with Leech Seed. Azelf's Nature should be Timid. You almost don't want to sacrifice defense when another stat you won't use will do. Azelf has no physical attacks in this set. If you can't get one with a Timid nature, then this would have to do.

You need to rebuild Jigglepuff. I would use this set.

Nature: Calm +SDEF -ATK
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SDEF, 4 DEF
Moves
Counter
Thunder Wave
Captivate (Egg Move)/Reflect
???

I could only thin of 3 moves for it. It does not need protect because this is a singles team. Puffs defense stats are really poor and protect is not helping it live any turns. Perish Song is not needed because Puff is not really a threat and they will just switch out.

I'll have to admit that I'm having a hard time finding a use of it in this team. I'll do my best to help out but so far, those are the only moves I can think of. Other then that, everything else looks solid.
Protect/Perish Song are on there for a reason. Perish Song to hit a Pokemon behind a sub, force a Sp Attacker to switch, whatever. Protect is there to stall down the Perish Song turns. The point of Perish Song is to force a switch.

Back