Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Any San Francisco/LA/Vegas players who could help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeMama

(Mods, hope this was the right board to post this on...let me know if not)
Hey there fellow Pokemon players! I received a rather interesting email at my website from a mom who lives in Holland who will be coming to America in July, to San Francisco CA. She has 2 sons ages 9 and 12 who love Pokemon and are hoping to find some nice card stores in the San Francisco area to browse through to get lots of fun Pokemon cards, sleeves, all kinds of Pokemon items and accessories. I told her I would check with our 'Pokemon network' of helpful players to see if I could get the names and locations of some good card shops that would be fun for her and her sons to visit. Naturally I thought I'd look to the great members of the 'Gym to help me, since I figured there must be some of you from the area who could recommend some good places for her. If you could post or PM me any store names/locations so I could let her know, I'd be greatly appreciative! She said her sons are so excited to come get some cards and other accessories while they're visiting here!

Thanks to any of you who can help me help her! :thumb:

*Edit* I found out they'll be here for about a month also traveling to LA and Las Vegas as well. in case anyone knows of any good Pokemon shops there too.

Last edited:
hi there,

i'm from europe but i visited san fransisco last year before going to worlds^^

with my brother we found a fantastic pokémon shop there. i think it is in the chinese part of the town, you have to take the cable car and there is a stop next to it.

we saw it instantly because on the wall of the shop, there are 3 pokémon that are painted: mew, pikachu and togepi^^ that's how we saw this shop firstly.

in this shop there are lots of pokémon stuff, almost only pokémon^^: like figures, and a lot of cards from the last set until the 1st ones like gym heroes or neo sets, also you can single cards if you want. then is the classic stuff that goes with cards like binders, decks boxes, etc.

a really cool shop that san fransisco players should know very well.

i don't have the address though^^ you have to ask guys from there^^

I think there is a store called Dave's Dugout, they sell some singles as well. I stop by there during the Summer once in a while.

luca that place sounds perfect for them! I hope I can find out the name for it so I can get an address. Sounds just like what they're looking for! I know they're anxious to spend some money here on some fun Pokemon stuff!

And thanks Alazor, I'll see what I can find about Dave's Dugout too.

I appreciate any info any of you from the area have, and I'm sure these visitors from Holland will too :biggrin:

please be SURE to let them know that if cards are not packaged as 'usual'...in booster wrap, in theme decks...chances are *very* high that the cards are fake.

i've purchased fake MT cards in foil boxes of 30 for $1.50 in los angeles little tokyo; the packaging was clearly fake, as were the cards inside. fakes seem to be rampant now, both in dollar stores and in tourist areas: i had a child at league bring cards they got at universal city's citywalk.

buyer beware...

'mom

I don't know San Francisco, but some U.S. places to buy cards and toys include K-Mart, Wal-Mart and Toys-R-Us, to name a few. Kohl's clothing store sells t-shirts. I was in San Fran Chinatown last spring and had a hard time finding anything Pokemon. I thought it would be easy. I had to ask and found little. There were several bubblegum-type machines on the streets at Fisherman's Warf selling little Pokemon figurines. They are $1 each.

Good luck!

Well, she said they were staying in SF... I'll find out if they're driving around.

*EDIT*

I found this information... is this the store you were talking about? Does anyone know if it's still there?

Update Gift Shop
607 Broadway (at Grant), 989-1551
If you've caved in to the Pokémon craze and bought trading cards and action figures for all 150-plus characters, don't worry: There's more. The Update Gift Shop in Chinatown has Pokémon literally wall to wall, from 50 cents up -- Pokémon stuffed toys, windup toys, bathtub toys, books, comics, coloring books, posters, stickers, pencil cases, key chains, photo albums, writing pads, wallets, jigsaw puzzles, blankets, sweat shirts, bags, clocks, and much more, all displaying Pikachu and his pals. .

Last edited:
According to the OP website, there are no Leagues within 50 miles of San Francisco. The closest League is 66 miles, and there are 8 Leagues between 60 and 100 miles from SAn Fran. Curiously, one of those Leagues is 'Mom's. If there's anybody from the area is familiar with the state of Pokemon there, please post further.

I did find out she's staying at a hotel on Fisherman's Warf for a few days, then traveling around the area for a month (Grand Canyon, Vegas, Los Angeles), and I'm sure there are at least booster packs and such at area Walmart, Target stores and such, but finding a good card shop with all the fun Pokemon accessories would of course be a huge treat to her kids. Perhaps now that I know she'll also be in LA and Vegas, I should expand my request for help. Might be even more chances of finding what she's looking for there.

It's cute, she was so appreciative that a stranger from across the world would try and help her, and I told her how we Pokemon players are like family all across the globe, and are certainly willing to help make a 9 year old and 12 year old's Pokemon dreams come true while visiting the USA. :biggrin:

According to the OP website, there are no Leagues within 50 miles of San Francisco. The closest League is 66 miles, and there are 8 Leagues between 60 and 100 miles from SAn Fran. Curiously, one of those Leagues is 'Mom's. If there's anybody from the area is familiar with the state of Pokemon there, please post further.

the 'san' in 'san diego' must be confusing the locator; we're a LOT farther than 100 miles away from san francisco.

i don't use the 'search' by city or zipcode feature, as i find it doesn't work well...but have it list ALL the leagues in the state instead.

when doing that i'm finding a league in berkeley (across the bay from san francisco), san rafael (marin county), san mateo, mountain view, and hayward. other than mountain view, i'm pretty sure those are within 50 miles of the city; i lived up there 20+ years ago.

'mom

hey pokemama,

the description you made of the shop seems to be totally the one in which we went.

if i remember well on the entrance it was written "gift shop" in white letters on a violet background.

and yeah there was a lot of pokémon stuff.

and as i already said it before, it was in china town. the only thing i can say you is that we can see the shop from the cable car! hope it is this one^^

Oh, if they are going to be in Las Vegas, stop in and visit the leauge there! We did that last Novemeber on a family trip. My husband and I took our son for pokemon leauge. They meet on Sundays at a nice card shop. Contact Madhatter, Dukefirebird or Z-Man. They go to the LV league. Downtown Las Vegas has a Game World video game arcade. Sonic walks around on the sidewalk saying Hello to the kids. That's not Pokemon, but it's fun.

Ya, feel free to contact me for more info about our leagues. We love to see new people pop in!

A lot depends on what part of LA they are in. I know about the stuff that is around LAX, like how there is a league at Mira Costa High School. Eight Ball and Frank & Sons are where most people get there stuff around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back