Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

anybody else a little mad about the worlds pairing system this year

pokesam128

so this year at worlds i have a little bit of a problem i don't mean to be complainer but i think everyone in my state had to play agenst another person from out state 8 people out of 101 people round 1 i play agenst my friend from my state
like round 5 play agenst another one of my friends from the same state as me and this i think happened to ALL of us we played like two people from our state very early in rounds knocking there chances of cut out and it really sucked because the game wasn't enjoyable having to ruin your friends chances like isn't worlds supposed to have the best randomizing system and spending a ton of money coming out there to play people from across the globe then being stuck playing the same people you play EVERY tournement and getting knocked out by them or knocking them out

did this happen to anybody else at worlds
and im like 100% sure everybody in oregon seniors played another oregon senior

Random systems sometimes do that. You can be randomly paired against anyone, including your friends.

I only ever seem to play European players at Worlds, that's how it goes.

I don't think there is anything in the software that makes it pair people from the same State, why would there be?

Random systems sometimes do that. You can be randomly paired against anyone, including your friends.

I only ever seem to play European players at Worlds, that's how it goes.

I don't think there is anything in the software that makes it pair people from the same State, why would there be?

that says you play people from the same CONTINENT as you this is a STATE which is only the TENTH largest state in the COUNTRY

I went to Hawaii in 2008 (I think it was 2008) to be paired in the LCQ against one of the best players in my state. Random happens. ^_^

that says you play people from the same CONTINENT as you this is a STATE which is only the TENTH largest state in the COUNTRY

Stop font shouting at me. It's rude.

I was merely using an example to show that coincidences happen, even with random pairings.

Or do you think that some massive conspiracy against Oregon players is built into the software? Or maybe the people running the tournament fix it that way because they hate Oregon Seniors?

Which do you think is most likely?

Round 1 I played vs a friend from the same league, but after that I played all 3 foreign players and 3 from different states.

The computer was trying to help the OR seniors out by ensuring one of them started out 2-0. Otherwise none of you would've been able to get past the Washingtonians and Canadians, and you'd all have opened 0-2.

Randomness versus unpredictability

Randomness, as opposed to unpredictability, is held to be an objective property - determinists believe it is an objective fact that randomness does not in fact exist. Also, what appears random to one observer may not appear random to another. Consider two observers of a sequence of bits, when only one of whom has the cryptographic key needed to turn the sequence of bits into a readable message. For that observer the message is not random, but it is unpredictable for the other.
One of the intriguing aspects of random processes is that it is hard to know whether a process is truly random. An observer may suspect that there is some "key" that unlocks the message. This is one of the foundations of superstition, but also a motivation for discovery in science and mathematics.
Under the cosmological hypothesis of determinism, there is no randomness in the universe, only unpredictability, since there is only one possible outcome to all events in the universe. A follower of the narrow frequency interpretation of probability could assert that no event can be said to have probability, since there is only one universal outcome. On the other hand, under the rival Bayesian interpretation of probability there is no objection to the use of probabilities in order to represent a lack of complete knowledge of the outcomes.
Some mathematically defined sequences, such as the decimals of pi mentioned above, exhibit some of the same characteristics as random sequences, but because they are generated by a describable mechanism, they are called pseudorandom. To an observer who does not know the mechanism, a pseudorandom sequence is unpredictable.
Chaotic systems are unpredictable in practice due to their extreme sensitivity to initial conditions. Whether or not they are unpredictable in terms of computability theory is a subject of current research. At least in some disciplines of computability theory, the notion of randomness is identified with computational unpredictability.
Individual events that are random may still be precisely described en masse, usually in terms of probability or expected value. For instance, quantum mechanics allows a very precise calculation of the half-lives of atoms even though the process of atomic decay is random. More simply, although a single toss of a fair coin cannot be predicted, its general behavior can be described by saying that if a large number of tosses are made, roughly half of them will show up heads. Ohm's law and the kinetic theory of gases are non-random macroscopic phenomena that are assumed to be random at the microscopic level.
~Wikipedia page on randomness. This is the same thing as when your iPod plays four songs from the same band in a row, and you begin to think it knows your preferences.

TL;DR: Even a perfectly random sequence of the size of worlds will contain one or two patterns.

Randomness...2008 Worlds...1st round

Taylor M played Kevin W...Same state, same city, same high school (over 2000 kids), same grade level...

This is a true sign of the randomness of the pairings...I mean come on...what are the odd in a field of 128 that this would happen round 1

what happened to me was that almost everyone i know from my state got a round one bye
I assume you are referring to the LCQ. I was told that the round one byes went to the players with the higher rankings. Of the 20+ players from my state, the only one who had to play in round one was a guy with less than 1600.

I assume you are referring to the LCQ. I was told that the round one byes went to the players with the higher rankings. Of the 20+ players from my state, the only one who had to play in round one was a guy with less than 1600.

That's also a case of pure luck. My rating was closer to 1500 than 1600 (I played blastoise during the luxchomp era, sigh) and I got the round one bye all the same.

wow, considering my record for the season before LCQ was 3-4, I was lucky to get a bye!

random is random as long as its random

Back