Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Are we ever going to have an "extended" format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Blastoise

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. I think an interesting idea to take it and one that Nintendo might buy into is perhaps having extended become the format we have now (i.e. RS-on) when of course Modified gets rotated out in about 6 or 7 months. That way we're happy since we got a new format and we get to play with our "old" Nintendo cards in this case, and also too Nintendo's happy cause they're still making money off their own cards. So what do you think? You think this'll every happen?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: it serves them no business purpose at this time. The entire idea of creating the "Modified" format is so that PUI can sell more cards of its creation. The only reason that the Ecard series was included in the last format rotation was because PUI would've lost many more players to disillusionment than the money they would've gained by going straight to Exxon. By creating an "Extended" format, they would be endorsing the Wizards cards, and it would lose them money. After the next format shift, it might happen, but don't count on it. By that time, the cards in question will have been 2 years old, too old to endorse heavily. There might be an "Extended" format under the "Fun" catagory of our player rankings, but don't expect there to be a large endorsed "Extended" format.

You missed the point of what I was saying. How about having an Rs-on Style extended format after the cards get rotated out in about 6 months. That's why I thought about all that, we win cause we get to still play with our old Nintendo cards once there rotated out and PUI still gets to make money off THEIR cards. I think that would work all around for the players and for Nintendo. It's Win-Win for everybody!!!

Stores might be happy cos they can still sell their old R/S cards, but PUI might not be happy when they don't sell as much of their new cards as they want to.

I think PUI/The Pokemon company generally have two methods of ensuring good salesnumbers. A) Make the cards better and more powerful - which could be a dangerous cycle B) Rotate out older cards, so ppl have to buy the new ones if they wanna be in on the fun.

But are you thinking of an extra alternative format, besides a "new" modified?

Last edited:
yah, he saying that we introduce another format into the game. It would be alot of fun, plus a wide varity of decks because of hte huge card pool. Unlike normal modified, this should prolly rotate 6-8 sets every 2 years.

I'd love to see an extended format myself. I don't know about the rest of you, but it almost hurts to pull all my "old" cards out of my play box.

Besides, just think of the advantages. There would be more playable decks in the RS-on format than the HL-on format (according to my sources; RS, SS, DR, and MA are gone in the next format change). And, things wouldn't be as broken as they are in Unlimited.

I definently think that there should be a "Nintendo Unlimited" format along with the constantly changing "Nintendo Modified" format, even if the "Unlimited" format is exclusively for fun play.

DarkLordSigma said:
I definently think that there should be a "Nintendo Unlimited" format along with the constantly changing "Nintendo Modified" format, even if the "Unlimited" format is exclusively for fun play.

I really second to that. I'm a card reviewer back here in Norway, and sometimes it feels really pointless to review those card for Unlimited format... Because the environment has shifted so much, almost 90% of the players nowadays only have cards from when Nintendo look over. So Unlimited is just for oldies like myself, however a Nintendo Unlimited would be a format that most players still feels at home with. I don't know 'bout you, but when Nintendo took over lotsa ppl went out of the game, and slowly lots new ppl came into the game. So the timing could be right for an updated/alternative Unlimited since right now there are ppl trading hard for those Bex' and Gex' and I know what it felt like loosing my Slowking/Sneasel deck when those two got kicked out of Modified...

Yeah I'm glad nearly everyone agrees, a RS-on style format would be ideal for this game. Just wait till the Modified switches and then BAM!!! introduce this new format and call it: extended (if you have a better name just PM me or something). I personally don't see why Nintendo wouldn't object to this, they're still making money off their own cards whether their cards are new or not and I'm sure the players (including myself) would absolutely love it especially considering the fact that all those rare candies, BEX's, REX's GEX's, and all those other cards will still be playable and not completely worthless when it comes to OP standards!! Guys, I really think this could work if we all work together on this.

Last edited:
Turbo Blastoise said:
Yeah I'm glad nearly everyone agrees, a RS-on style format would be ideal for this game. Just wait till the Modified switches and then BAM!!! introduce this new format and call it: extended (if you have a better name just PM me or something). I personally don't see why Nintendo wouldn't object to this, they're still making money off their own cards whether their cards are new or not and I'm sure the players (including myself) would absolutely love it especially considering the fact that all those rare candies, BEX's, REX's GEX's, and all those other cards will still be playable and not completely worthless when it comes to OP standards!! Guys, I really think this could work if we all work together on this.

Well i honestly would prefer neo-on, just because it gives a huge card pool and is very fun, Feraligatr/delcatty GG.

The farther back you go to include sets in the extended format, the more it appeals to me.
RS-on would be =/
E-on would be cool
Neo-on would probably be the best, second to good old Base Set-on Unlimited.

But if RS-on is the best we can do then I'd still like to see it happen.

Instead of oooh.. we have Prof. Oak, Item Finder, PC Search and Energy Removal back, it'll be the return of Dunsparce and Rare Candy. :rolleyes:

SHPanda said:
Well i honestly would prefer neo-on, just because it gives a huge card pool and is very fun, Feraligatr/delcatty GG.

That defeats the purpose though. The point in going R/S-on, is so that Nintendo/PUI can still sell their older cards and make money, while giving the player a bigger card pool to use.

It'd become what Unlimited is right now. Remember: PUI makes very little (if any) money from the sales of any card set prior to RS as compared to RS on, they don't want to support a format that wouldn't make them any money. They put a little bit of support (I'm talking maybe 1-2 Premier level tourneys a season, nothing much) behind a Nintendo Unlimited format, and they now have the ability to sell their older cards at great profit and can still push the Modified format as heavily as they want to.

The format wouldn't be widely played unless there were prize support thrown behind it.

I can't imagine why Nintendo would do such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back